[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there not enough research being done in the exploration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: OceansWEB.jpg (4KB, 300x234px) Image search: [Google]
OceansWEB.jpg
4KB, 300x234px
Why is there not enough research being done in the exploration of the ocean. I can't be the only one who thinks it's strange that we look up to the sky before we're even finished looking down. Is it purely curiosity that makes this decision or have we discovered something here on earth, or rather, in the waters, that makes us not want to search anymore?
95% of the oceans are undiscovered.
What gives?
>>
It's boring.
>>
>>17122918
The deep sea pressure is an incredible hurdle. The only thing that humans would want from the ocean is resources and we are already gobbling those up and destroying ecosystems and other things vital to humans in order to eat up that precious oil.
>>
It's too spoopy
>>
It would be cool if there were huge sea creatures in the bottom of the ocean kind of like the ones at the beginning of Phantom Menace
>>
>>17122937
Deep sea gigantism is well noted. Giant squids, octopi, and the largest species of whales all exist among the deepest parts of the habitable ocean. We also know about the bizarre evolution of animals down there. Clear fish, shrimp that can shoot delayed explosive bio-luminescent liquids, body parts that are disproportionate to the rest of the body such as massive eyes or jaws.

The question becomes, what isn't a possibility down there. When you have an environment where a body doesn't have to support its own weight and design, just about anything can be feasible as long as it's not detrimental to that creature.
>>
>>17122918
Space pressure is
>0
Ocean pressure is like
>9000
Not even trolling you goddamn /r9k/faggots. Look it up.

I was actually quite impressed with Cameron when I looked that up, he coulda died from a fucking leaky screw. Not saying he didn't have ABSURD amounts of resources which definitely helped, but still... making the trip himself with our current tech was pretty fucking ballsy.

Knowing that, I could easily see the solar system, maybe even the nearby systems being explored before the ocean. Fucking weird to think about. Humans are so backwards.
>>
>>17122918
>Is it purely curiosity that makes this decision or have we discovered something here on earth, or rather, in the waters, that makes us not want to search anymore?
Honest to god (lol), Cthulhu.

I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to hide a worldwide phenomenon for anything other than an - absolute - human destroyer. I might be severely undershooting human stupidity, though.
>>
Perhaps the powers that be have searched the depths as far as their concerns can take them. The simple answer is that they have seen what's down there and deemed it worthless, or, beyond their current ability to utilize. That makes sense. We are the monsters. We control the things that give play to the levers of power. May be, what is beneath must stay beneath for more time.
>>
>>17122937
There are, but it would be too expensive and risky to explore the ocea
>>
Like some anon said, the pressure is something thats really hard to fight. You dont want to throw in random shit in the ocean with cameras either because they will only get lost and theres a big chance that you will never get anything out of it.
Im honestly more afraid of the ocean than the space.

It is pretty weird to think that its easier to explore space than it is to explore the ocean.
>>
After all the crazy expense of figuring out how to film in space, it's easy. After all the crazy expense of figuring out how to film under killing pressures and crappy,uncontrolled visibility... it can't be easy. The actual reasons it's possible to film in near-earth orbit are the reasons it's sooo hard to do so under pressure, in liquid. Space is more natural to use now than hard pressure exploration is. Follow the money. The answer is always down that road.
>>
Maybe we're trying so hard to get into space is because of what's in the ocean. Also that shit is too spoopy
>>
>>17124784
If I was playing a game and I had a choice; Build twice as fast on a low G planet, get your tech up, and comp. for the eventual physiological problems the low G will have or; be on a colony at the bottom of... you know what, the human aspect would play out the same...
>>
>>17124795
It's a lot cheaper to get away from the planet than it is to get deep under her waters.
>>
>>17124651

Cameron even said he saw many valleys going far, far deeper than he reached, and there was plenty more to see. We could barely be scraping the tip of the ice berg with the bottom of the Marianas Trench.
>>
>>17124651
You better be trolling because I can't believe someone would be so interested yet so ignorant.
>>
>>17125055
Why don't we make a small camera that can go down farther, and reinforce it with several layers of proofing boxes. Use rivets and some sort of dense material but leave space for the lens?
>>
Satan's mask. Leviathan. Fallen angels. Atlantis is sky. Go to salvation. You'll burn if you fly.
>>
>>17122918
CodeName: Blue-Hades
>>
>>17122918
others have already pointed out the pressure problem, just chiming in to point out the flaw in thinking that space exploration somehow takes away from ocean exploration. there's close to 7 billion people in the world. Several thousand, or even several million people involved in some aspect of space exploration doesn't somehow take away from people studying the oceans. A marine biologist isn't necessary to NASA (unless we find marine life on Jupiter's moons or something), and a rocket engineer or astrophysicist isn't necessary to ocean exploration.

Both fields of exploration have their own obstacles, and it just so happens that we've been able to overcome the vacuum of space easier than the massive pressure of the Marianas Trench, so space exploration has progressed more than ocean exploration.

>I can't be the only one who thinks it's strange that we look up to the sky before we're even finished looking down.
I only think it's strange that you don't realize that one person can look up while another looks down.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.