[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about becoming a park ranger. Anyone with a lot of innawoods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: Stonebarger.jpg (1MB, 1999x1371px) Image search: [Google]
Stonebarger.jpg
1MB, 1999x1371px
Thinking about becoming a park ranger. Anyone with a lot of innawoods experience? I'd post on /k/ or /out/ but I wanna know what I need to look out for as far as spoops and missing persons are concerned. I know state parks can be dastardly places.
>>
This reminds me of an interesting story. Once me and my friend were doing mushrooms in the woods. This very creepy park ranger that looked just like the sheriff from the texas chain saw massacre remake kept eyeing down from a distance as various locations. That shit was creepy as fuck. Eventually we decided to get the fuck out of there.
>>
>>17122193
wow i was not prepared for such an interesting spook
>>
It is a good job, but they hire mostly women so I doubt you will get the job.
>>
>>17122211
The reason they do this is the huge influx of men who want the job, and it is paid for by the government and does not require much physical ability, these days you still have phone and internet, so usually any woman they can is hired. I have tried for years.
>>
File: image.jpg (242KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242KB, 400x396px
>>17121936
What do you wanna know about the woods, anon? Been bow hunting in Alabama (and other southern states) for years. Done it all, stalk hunts, predator hunts, in a tree stand, in a blind, recurve and compound.

Truthfully, a lot of things in the woods can rationally be explained if you know what you're doing. If you're serious about being a park ranger, you definately need to take a couple of outdoors classes (especially if you have no experience). Check out Randall's A&T. They do extensive classes on everything from man tracking to backpacking.
>>
>>17121936
I wouldn't worry about it anon
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2109x2220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2109x2220px
>>17122234
What I meant by a lot of things in the woods can be rationally explained is:

>bunch of hikers in my region report hearing frightening "banshee" like wailing in a local wooded area.
>go out on a public land deer stalk (it's a big open plain-like pasture type area with lots of scenery, however, part of it is wooded tree areas)
>you can see the deer for miles so it's easy to do some stalking, as long as your careful.
>show up at the ass crack of morning, it's still dark out.
>hike up hill near wooded area in order to get vantage point.
>hear "banshee like wail," and I'm able to correctly identify that it's an owl that's making the noise.
>I even see the owl roosting in a tree, looking for its next meal.

Not everything in the woods is paranormal. A lot of [city] people have never heard a deer blow/stomp, so they automatically associate this noise with some sort of cryptid or something.
>>
watch out for them weird staircases that appear in the woods on occasion and never go near them ok lol :D
>>
>>17121936
Hope you get the job OP! I tried getting an internship with my state due to Obama increasing their budget. Haven't heard from them but I wish you the best OP. Apply online.

Can I ask what your experience and education are?
>>
>>17122290
This
Lot of these urban legends and monsters in the woods stories come from cityfags who've never hear a fox howl before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJmkM346058
>>
>>17122290
>>17122374
I'm so glad that /x/ has so many pink knights.
>>
File: pink_knight_.png (558KB, 1622x1421px) Image search: [Google]
pink_knight_.png
558KB, 1622x1421px
>>17122593

Have a chart, for future use. :)
>>
>>17122593
>>17122601
Pink Knights are entirely justified when it comes to occult material. It's /x/ but it's also retarded and boring.
>>
File: 1343242035543.png (76KB, 1638x754px) Image search: [Google]
1343242035543.png
76KB, 1638x754px
>>17122601

Fun /x/ History Fact: It was the Pink Knight for awhile, but some people thought it was too gay and then it morphed into the Plaid Knight, which was funnier, but IMHO it was bizarre to the extend of just confusing everyone.
>>
>>17122601

Why pink? I can't think of a reason, so I'm curious. Can anyone explain?
>>
File: The Pink Knight.jpg (153KB, 700x1439px) Image search: [Google]
The Pink Knight.jpg
153KB, 700x1439px
>>17122722
>Why pink?

I think it was just to separate it from the traditional White Knight that was thought of as Some one just saving perceived female posters from 'harm'. But as stated in >>17122680 the "pink" really bugged some people, and the odd compromise of Plaid Knight evolved.
>>
>>17122680

The shield of the Plaid Knight cracks me up.
>>
>>17122193
I stopped reading at mushrooms
>>
>>17122593
He's talking about a legitimate career here, telling him that shit innawoods can sound spooky but be completely natural seems like good advice
>>
>>17122736

I suppose that makes sense. Thanks anon.
>>
>>17122817
Somewhat defeats the purpose of the board though, no? Surely we could discuss the thunderbird or bigfoot or anything else that's known to prowl in more natural areas of the United States. Granted, it would help if OP mentioned what park/parks he wanted to work at for the sake of being more clear on what cryptids he might run into.
>>
>>17122903
No one said you can't, and no one even said that there may not be something spooky in them old woods. The main point is OP should make sure what he hears in the night isn't just a barking fox or owl or something before assuming it's something spooky since a lot of folk aren't very outdoorsy and mistake one thing for something completely else.

Know your territory basically, you wanna talk about wendigo's go right on ahead though, no one is stopping you.
>>
>>17122940
You raise a fair point. I'm sorry if I came across as hostile or condescending. I think I got caught up in the pink/plaid knight discussion and mistook your intentions as that of shutting down paranormal discussions.

So, OP, where are you hoping to work? What're you going to be looking for when you get there?
>>
>>17122593
This guy is right, anon. Everything you hear the woods is supernatural and totally spoopy. I'm sorry for trying to impart some of my innawoods experience.
>>
>>17122216
Someone is jelly. Just accept you're not qualified.
>>
>>17125846
Nah. I am more qualified. How many men are more qualified to be a cashier? But is that what people want to see? Nah, they want to see a smiling girl at the register.
>>
>>17121936

A lot of park ranger work, especially for newbies, isn't innawoods at all. A lot of it is doing naturalist interpretation for overweight, disinterested schoolkids. A lot of it is playing garbageman and cleaning campsites/shitters. Park rangers have a high turnover rate for a reason.
>>
>>17125966
That is what I am trying to tell them. As somebody who has worked in the feild.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.