[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The Devil's Footprints is a name given to a phenomenon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: footprints.jpg (124KB, 672x928px) Image search: [Google]
footprints.jpg
124KB, 672x928px
>The Devil's Footprints is a name given to a phenomenon that occurred in February 1855 around the Exe Estuary in East Devon and South Devon, England. After a heavy snowfall, trails of hoof-like marks appeared overnight in the snow covering a total distance of some 40 to 100 miles. The footprints were so called because some people believed that they were the tracks of Satan, as they were allegedly made by a cloven hoof.

>On the night of 8–9 February 1855 and one or two later nights, after a heavy snowfall, a series of hoof-like marks appeared in the snow. These footprints, most of which measured around four inches long, three inches across, between eight and sixteen inches apart and mostly in a single file, were reported from over thirty locations across Devon and a couple in Dorset. Houses, rivers, haystacks and other obstacles were traveled straight over, and footprints appeared on the tops of snow-covered roofs and high walls which lay in the footprints' path, as well as leading up to and exiting various drain pipes as small as four inches in diameter.

>From a news report: "It appears on Thursday night last, there was a very heavy snowfall in the neighbourhood of Exeter and the South of Devon. On the following morning the inhabitants of the above towns were surprised at discovering the footmarks of some strange and mysterious animal endowed with the power of ubiquity, as the footprints were to be seen in all kinds of unaccountable places – on the tops of houses and narrow walls, in gardens and court-yards, enclosed by high walls and pailings, as well in open fields."

What made the tracks, /x/?
>>
>>17113034
Your moms vago.
>>
This was always one of my favorite unexplained mysteries, just for the wierdness factor alone.

Someone reported that they reappeared in 2009, but this account is flimsier than the original.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161765/Ancient-mystery-returns-Satans-hoofprints-spotted-Devon-garden.html

I've heard of the same phenomenon happening in other places and times as well, I'll see if I can dig anything up.
>>
Two other accounts from Wikipedia

Reports of similar anomalous, obstacle-unheeded footprints exist from other parts of the world, although none is of such a scale as that of the case of the Devil's Footprints. This example was reported 15 years earlier in The Times:

Among the high mountains of that elevated district where Glenorchy, Glenlyon and Glenochay are contiguous, there have been met with several times, during this and also the former winter, upon the snow, the tracks of an animal seemingly unknown at present in Scotland. The print of the foot in every respect is an exact resemblance of that of a foal of considerable size, with this small difference perhaps, that the sole seems a little longer or not so round; but, as no one has had the good fortune as yet to have obtained a glimpse of this creature, nothing more can be said of its shape or dimensions; only it has been remarked, from the depth to which the feet sunk in the snow, that it must be a beast of considerable size; it has been observed also, that its walk is not like that of the generality of quadrupeds, but that it is more like the bounding or limping of a hare when not scared or pursued. It is not in one locality only that its tracks have been met with, but through a range of at least twelve miles...
>>
In the Illustrated London News of 17 March 1855, a correspondent from Heidelberg wrote, "upon the authority of a Polish Doctor in Medicine", that on the Piaskowa-góra (Sand Hill), a small elevation on the border of Galicia, but in Congress Poland, such marks are to be seen in the snow every year, and sometimes in the sand of this hill, and "are attributed by the inhabitants to supernatural influences".
>>
File: softhair.jpg (51KB, 960x656px) Image search: [Google]
softhair.jpg
51KB, 960x656px
I've always loved this story after discovering it at like..15. Unfortunately theres not a lot of info. It also reminds me of the one about the guy who walked into the bar and danced with women and had hooves and smelt like sulfur. And the women who answered their door and think Satan was on the other side. Its been forever since I read all of those stories. I used to go to the library and just sit for hours my last year of homeschool and read from the paranormal section.
>>
Probably a dude playing a prank on people. Even in 1855 people wantes to troll.

Why would Stan have horse feet? If anything he'd have goat feet
>>
>>17113660
The prank theory dosn't holds up though, there were too many made too quickly, miles and miles overnight and in found in places no man could reach, especially without disturbing the snow. Unless those details were embelishments it couldn't have just been some guys walking around with horseshoes on. Also type prints were to shallow for a man.

Not saying it dosn't have a mundane explanation, just that it couldn't have been a prank unless the reports are extremely exaggerated.
>>
On January 12th, 1866, a great snow storm hit the town of Liverpool. The blizzard was very fierce, and gale-force winds blew down telegraph lines, so all communication with London and the rest of the country was suspended for over a week. As temperatures plunged below zero, the River Mersey froze over, and Liverpool gradually came to a standstill, as people hurried indoors to escape the big freeze. Liverpool soon resembled a ghost town; not a soul roamed the snow-covered streets.

At 6 a.m. on the following morning, a policeman in the south-end of the city came upon a curious sight. In the fresh virgin snow of Great George Street, he noticed a trail of what seemed to be animal tracks. On closer inspection, the tracks looked like hoof prints, yet they seemed very peculiar, because the animal must have put one hoof exactly in front of the other as it walked in a precise straight line. The policeman measured the space between each horseshoe-shaped print and saw that it was eight inches. He knew of no animal that could walk in such a straight manner, and he followed the trail - and saw that the tracks could not have been made by any four-legged animal he knew of. Nothing impeded the progress of the unidentified animal; the tracks went right up Great George Street, and were found on each side of a factory wall. Weirder still, at one point, the tracks went across the roof of a snow-covered house in Oldham Street, where a postman had also noticed the strange prints. The trail of hoof marks extended up St Anne Street and Scotland Road where the tracks suddenly came to a dead end - as if the strange creature had taken off like a bird at that point.
>>
News of the eerie trail spread across Liverpool, and the local population, which consisted of many superstitious Irish people, thought there was something unearthly about the prints in the snow. People were soon referring to the tracks as the Devil's footprints, because many believed that Satan had strolled through the deserted streets of Liverpool. Who else had hoofed feet? And who else could walk over walls and rooftops? Others thought the culprit was Spring-Heeled Jack, a legendary figure seen throughout the country at the time who could make tremendous leaps into the air. Other people blamed otters, rats, a three-legged horse, and someone suggested that perhaps the trail had been made by a rope dangling from a balloon, but none of the theories fitted the facts. The mystery deepened when several people, including a postmaster general, in Richmond Row, Everton, claimed that they had heard strange pipe music around 4 a.m. on the morning that the tracks were made. This made people think; the Devil was always depicted as playing pipes like the Greek god of mischief, Pan.

After the thaw, the footprints incident soon faded from the public's memory, but not many people in Liverpool knew that similar footprints had been seen eleven years before in Devon, again after a snowstorm. Also, in the reign of King Richard I, (1189-1199) at York, a monk wrote about hoof-like tracks which appeared on the ground after a fierce lightning storm.
>>
>February, 1855
>MFW my goat gets out in the midddle of the night
>Shit is snowy, decide to let that cunt freeze and collect the meat in the morning
>MFW when the town freaks-out about the prints in the snow
>Prints on buildings and other tall stuff
>Town is saying that shit is from the devil
>goats_climb_shit.jpg
>Too much of autist to tell them it was my goat
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.