[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the reason as to why salt/silver/cold iron ward off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: Beth1223.jpg (727KB, 1004x1019px) Image search: [Google]
Beth1223.jpg
727KB, 1004x1019px
What's the reason as to why salt/silver/cold iron ward off supernatural beings? Are there any other substances that fend off the supernatural?
>>
>>17091482
whatever caught the whim of alleged holy men and paranoid housewives
>>
>>17091482
>ward off supernatural beings

I'm gonna need a peer reviewed study on that, thank you.
>>
File: 1442502174360s.jpg (18KB, 209x250px) Image search: [Google]
1442502174360s.jpg
18KB, 209x250px
>>17091482
Silver has antibacterial properties, which when coupled with a dearth of scientific knowledge and no germ theory could conceivably lead ancient civilizations to ascribe supernatural qualities to it.

No idea about salt and cold iron.
>>
File: tramp.jpg (22KB, 612x389px) Image search: [Google]
tramp.jpg
22KB, 612x389px
>>17091482
If a cold iron thing do not help, always is possible hit a devil with it.
>>
>>17091502
>No idea about salt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy
>>
>>17091502
Some sicknesses come with deficit of salt
>>
>>17091502
You're on the right track. Iron oxide is antifungal, and salt can keep food from going bad.
>>
>>17091502
>>17091520
These
>>
File: yummyLamTreats.jpg (94KB, 745x496px) Image search: [Google]
yummyLamTreats.jpg
94KB, 745x496px
>>17091506
>No idea about salt
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

What a world class retard, Scurvy has to do with Vitamin C, not salt.

Read your own link, it's not about salt.
>>
File: giant-bismuth-crystal[1].jpg (444KB, 1364x1137px) Image search: [Google]
giant-bismuth-crystal[1].jpg
444KB, 1364x1137px
fucking bismuth motherfucker. do you know its secrets? rip in peas paranormal janitor
>>
Off the cuff guess; they represent earth things and so would be a source or reminder of physical plane power, earth energy or whatever you want to call it.
>>
>>17091482

That's the rules of the RP
>>
>>17091493

Modern Western science doesn't even believe in supernatural beings so you should start with that problem then work on how to deal with them. tu ily :3
>>
>>17091506
>>17091691

You mean a goiter.
>>
>>17091482
My kitchen is a safe space
>>
>>17092265

Why do they like gold, but not silver or iron? I guess sterling silver and wrought iron have some other special properties.

Also, what's with the St. Benedict medal? Sacred geometry protective design or white magic Latin spell or what? Anyone?
>>
>>17092868
That's iodine, which is why we add it to salt.
>>
>>17091482
Salt is a purifying element.
Silver represents the soul, but it's connection to the moon is why it's potent against werewolves and other shifters. You're basically something that's connected to them on a perfect wavelength so they can't negate it.
Cold iron is the ultimate grounding agent and is by this very nature anathema to the Fae. The Fae are ethereal and elemental cold iron is solid and grounding.
>>
>>17091482
Salt is one of if not humanities oldest preservative, known to stave off rot and decay. It's little wonder people thought it proof against evil.
Silver has long been linked to the moon, and to the deities associated with the moon, which were believed to help ward off evil.
Cold iron is probably because of the legends associated with the Fae, but also might have origins with smithing, as there are superstitions about ringing the anvil again after striking the object being forged, to ward off the devil/evil. I'd assume most blacksmithing anvils would have been mainly comprised of iron.
>>
>>17091482

Iron, the heavy blade to split the ether.
Silver, which short circuits etheric bodies.
Salt, which corrodes etheric bodies.

Asafoetida, which no one likes when burning. It's kinda like air bleach for the spiritual; put a magically charged item in its smoke and it'll strip it.

Flowing water, spirits can not pass a river(unless it's a river spirit)

Yew keeps the dead down in the graveyard. Eh. Just find a book on it. Oh, garlic, garlic is effective, too.
>>
holy water, holy salt, what else clergy exorcists used?
>>
File: index.jpg (11KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11KB, 260x194px
>>17095662
All right, these guys!
>>
>>17091482
Salt doesn't decay. A "covenant of salt" is that which last for eternity; it's a symbol of preservation, fidelity, incorruptibility, etc. Funeral rites in the Scottish highlands involved keeping some earth (to symbolize decay of the body) and salt (the incorruptibility of the soul) in a wooden plate over the chest of the dead.

Silver is associated with the moon, by way of Artemis (who topped her arrows with silver). Those familiar to 'Vampire lore' probably subscribe to the idea Judas was the first vampire, continually burned by his thirty pieces of silver.

"Thirty pieces of silver
Burns on the traitor's brain;
Thirty pieces of silver!
Oh! it is hellish gain!"

There are many theories over Iron, down to its association with cauterization/healing (cauterizare "to burn or brand with a hot iron"). It may be a relic of the young iron age supplanting bronze age cultures - but that's rather untenable.
>>
>>17095510
early blacksmiths were also considered practitioners of magic as well being able to forge strange rocks(ore) into helpful iron
>>
It always made sense to me that a symbol of mans mastery over the elemental world should banish spirits of nature
>>
>>17091493

here comes the brainless positivist
>>
The fair folk (now that you've read that, spit in your hand and run it through your hair) have powerful electromagnetic senses, so naturally magnetic metals have a warding effect on them. It's like very bright lights, only inside their brains. This is also why they bleed green, copper instead of iron in the blood.
>>
>>17098838
damn straight. yall niggers are dipressing.
>>
>>17091506
That's unrelated, as others have said. The real reason is probably because salt was a good preservative (brined fish and so forth), leading folks to ascribe it properties like "purity" and "cleanliness". Its white color, ability to make food taste better and importance for life in general surely didn't harm either.
>>
File: 1445016770657.jpg (28KB, 536x489px) Image search: [Google]
1445016770657.jpg
28KB, 536x489px
>>17091493

Here's your peer reviewed study you nigger
>>
>>17091502
>>17091520
>tfw fairies are just bacteria

I would also add silver alongside gold has pretty strong mythological connections. Silver is the moon, represents the feminine, to oppose the power of gold, the sun, the masculine.
>>
This is probably a modern view on old superstition, but I always thought iron repelled fairies because it presented order and civilization as opposed to fairies being creatures of nature and chaos.
>>
>>17095510
What page of the rulebook's that on?
>>
>>17098838
>I want a basis other than blind belief for the existence of [thing]!
The nerve of this guy, am I rite?
>>
>>17097015
Very informative.
>>
>>17091482
Salt prevents impurities and rot, associated with death, disease, etc. That's why salt is useful against the undead, it represents a sterility opposite to what they are.

Cold iron is the hallmark of humanity's conquest over nature, it's our number five. That's why it's effective against fairies.

No idea where silver got its reputation from. In fact, I haven't really been able to find any early references to silver being used as such a ward; that seems to be a fairly modern development in story telling.
>>
Silver is the moon and reflects true white light, representing immutable tidal forces, the permanence of patterns, the power of the natural world over living creatures.

Gold reflects yellow which bends perception, represents power of man over others, blissful ignorance by turning over to authority of the sun.
>>
>>17100234
That 47th Electron really tears at the atomic bonds of bodies anchored beyond their natural threshold.
>>
>>17091493
>tips yarmolke
>>
>>17100234
Silver is a blood purifier.
>>
>>17100590
Silver is not a goddamned blood purifier. The only people claiming that are idiots and con men. What it will do is get carried by your blood and deposited in your skin which, if you're some kind of emo/goth/zombie aficionado, can actually look pretty cool. So I say do it!
>>
>>17091482
>supernatural
They are rare nowadays. Only in the Hollywood movies they are often appear. Nothing personal, just for money making and for support popular religious idea, like a good cop and a bad cop and et cetera and so on and so forth.
>>
>>17091482
That's a good question.
Iron was supposed to ward off fairies.
Silver hurt vampires and werewolves.
But I don't think I have seen why they do.
>>
>>17091482
The Grim Reaper
>>
it's because of people associating it with the moon, which happens because it's the second most valuable common precious metal at the time, with gold being the sun.
people believed due to its 'lunar' properties, and because wherewolves have a connection to the moon, it would be effective.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.