[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

someone pls explain this whole "great filter" theory.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1414376679056.png (48KB, 196x200px) Image search: [Google]
1414376679056.png
48KB, 196x200px
someone pls explain this whole "great filter" theory. it gets tossed around here alot and from what i understand about it, it sounds like complete bullshit
>>
it's a series hypotheses that tries to explain our 'uniqueness' as an organism.
it basically revolves around something called 'the great filter', which would act as a barrier for a lot of lifeforms to progress.
the first version is that we as humans are beyond the great filter, but entirely alone ( with the filter being something like the preservation of existing knowledge).
the second is that the great filter is beyond us, but there are multiple animals who bridged it also. in this case, we are not special, but merely ahead of the curve.
the third is that the great filter is ahead of us. multiple civilisations would have come to the point we have, but were unable to go further. the filter in this case would likely be inter-planetary colonization.

it's mostly a philisophical debate, and has no real scientific basis.
>>
>>17077493
Thanks, anon. Truly contributing to x with something worthwhile.

I believe the filter is responsibility concerning the weaponization of natural phenomenon
>>
>>17077509
could be.
i personally believe that the filter is nuclear power, and we are one of few beings that didn't fuck up entirely. if you look at the cold war, we were really fucking close to a global extinction phenomena.
>>
Here's an article that explains it pretty thoroughly
http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.