[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /x/ I'm interested in filmmaking and I'm also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: letöltés.jpg (9KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
letöltés.jpg
9KB, 288x175px
Hey /x/

I'm interested in filmmaking and I'm also a big fan of found-footage stuff. Blair Witch is my number one favorite horror film and I also love these amateur found-footage scary videos on youtube. This, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0P15KiPIbU

It seems to me that with this technique you can make very good and powerful movies or videos while on a very low budget.

So how would you go about it? First of all, do I need a specific camera, or can I just "dumb down" the quality to make it look more "real"? I found that the crappy quality adds a lot to these videos for some reason.

Other than that, post some more quality found footage stuff and also share your tips on how to make a good one. Thanks!
>>
>>17052581
found footage are the best i have to agree. blair witch was cool. i liked grave encounters 1 and 2 and frankensteins army. crowsnest was cool too
>>
>>17052865
Grave encounters is really good. Other than that Willow Creek was fun too and the Tunnel is a very good one. But I don't really know many full-length found-footage horrors that are truly scary.
>>
>>17052581
Creep is a great film, one of the best found footage I've seen. Also on Netflix.

As for found footage they are popular because they are low budget in every way. Cast can't be famous people because they have to be "real," quality of video not an issue.

Honestly audio seems like the biggest problem to me, I wonder how you get good audio on projects like this.

Another good one is The Conspiracy, this one has some interesting techniques/camera types so should be interesting to watch.

Also the cameras are easy to see in The Sacrament. That movie is a bummer though fair warning.
>>
File: letöltés (1).jpg (48KB, 450x283px) Image search: [Google]
letöltés (1).jpg
48KB, 450x283px
>>17052938
>Honestly audio seems like the biggest problem to me, I wonder how you get good audio on projects like this.

This is what I've been thinking about too. You can steal lots of good sound effects from movies and video games but you have to be quite good with audio to edit them into a film like this. It might also be a good idea to re-record them with the same equipment you shoot the whole movie with, this way you'll get the exact same audio quality for those sound effects.

The other problem is that where you have intense scenes where the actors are screaming and shouting. Well, I wouldn't really want to do that at night in a forest or in an abandoned mansion or something. It would draw a lot of unwanted attention quickly.

So far I don't know how to work around this.
>>
>>17052966
Good ideas for the sound editing.

As for the other issue, it's really not that much of an issue. A major responsibility for Production Assistants is "lock-up," which means keeping the set contained, keeping outside sound out. This means your PAs will establish a "perimeter" if you will around the set. As long as you have the right permits with you you have nothing to worry about. And the permits are relatively easy to get, just have to make sure you give plenty of notice.
>>
>>17052581
I'd be interested if you made some vids on youtube. I should maybe mention this channel for inspiration, and ideas if you haven't already heard about it.

https://youtu.be/WLyaDfxMF08

Im sure you've already heard of marble hornets, and the like.
>>
File: trollhunter.png (369KB, 900x684px) Image search: [Google]
trollhunter.png
369KB, 900x684px
The best found footage film of all time is TROLLHUNTER

No need to make any more films in that genre, TROLLHUNTER will always rule.
>>
>>17052581
Look, OP, I'm not trying to shoot you down, but the reason the Blair Witch Project was good (fuck the haters) is because it was unique at the time. Now there are a jillion copycats and other similar "found footage" films and it just doesn't have the same impact anymore. You're better off expanding your horizons.

On a personal note, too, the shakier the cam is, the less chance I'll even try to watch it as I get motion sickness easily. Apparently this is not so uncommon, which is why it irritates me that so many horror movies are doing this these days.
>>
>>17053101
I disagree with you. There aren't so many found-footage movies. How do I know that? Because I'm looking for them all the time and I can only name like 5-10 good ones and when it comes to shorts there aren't so much good ones either.

Of course it is easy to be the best at something when there are no competitors but let's face it, the competition is still not so though in the found-footage scene.

I'm sure there's plenty of room for good ideas in this genre. But I'll definitely try to do something in this style.

Problem is that I already feel that it won't work the way I want it to and I'll end up with some mediocre shit. Well, we'll see.
>>
>>17053134
All right, maybe I'm mixing up some "found footage" films with the "Hey, let's video ourselves and the weird shit going on around us!" ones, so maybe there aren't that many. I still think you could do something more original, but best of luck to you, whatever you decide.
>>
>>17053149

I've seen many of those too and they work well, until a point. They are good at establishing a general creepy vibe. You'll get sucked in quickly and you'll pay attention. But after that certain point most of them fail to raise the creepyness. And they fail to scare you. Well other than cheap jumpscares, but I don't really want to use those.

What I liked about Blair Witch was the thing that it didn't have to use jumpscares to make you afraid. And to do that you have to have a really good story, very good actors, and superb editing.
>>
I'm sure you can make your footage look shitty later by overencoding it, which is basically what those old school digicams did. There's probably also filters to make it look like tape I guess. It would be EASIER just to use old ass cameras and personally I would find it kind of fun to choose a particular model and have a bunch of backups and spare parts around but I'm kind of a technical guy.

REC
Cloverfield
Megan is Missing
>>
>>17053191
The problem with old vhs cameras is that it's quite difficult to find parts for them, especially working batteries. And it sucks if you have one battery which is good for only 1 hour then you have to charge it for 4 hours.
>>
>>17053168
We're definitely on the same page here, because I agree with everything you said. For me, horror movies usually work best when there's suspense and mystery rather than blatant in-your-face scares, though I like some of those once in a while too.
>>
>>17053204
Tsk tsk, you kids and your modern technology, you've been spoiled.
>>
August Underground comes to mind, especially the second one, Mordum. They're exploitation films though, just pure depravity, but it's so realistic that I'm actually too scared to ever want to meet the actors/directors.

Also, at the end of Mordum is basically a necro-pedo scene, so beware; the director was actually arrested in Canada as the border police thought he was making and selling snuff films. Never saw the first one, and the third one (Penance) isn't as sick as the second other than one particular scene.
>>
>>17053204
Batteries can be upgraded easily. I would probably use an 8mm for my tape camera, but yeah I hate working on things that actually use tape. I'm sure there's a particular model of camera you could establish as reliable and easily sourcable.

If you had a lot of space you could just buy every single one you run across at thrift stores but then you would have a harder time maintaining all their different batteries.
>>
>>17052581
OP watch some of this guy's videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLRbTtd8IKM
you will understand some of the techniques you need to use to make cool tricks look real.
actually everyone on /x/ should watch these videos and stop being such flaming retards
>>
File: Abandoned-Building.jpg (175KB, 800x592px) Image search: [Google]
Abandoned-Building.jpg
175KB, 800x592px
>>17053219
I used vhs cameras to make claymation and it kinda sucked. But yeah, I'm a spoiled kid in a sense that I want to have all the benefits of oldschool technology (the look, the feel, the sound) without the negatives (difficult editing, low battery time, limited options).

By the way have any of you seen some good found-footage stuff that was shot with a GoPro camera?
>>
>>17053254
Well no fucking shit stop motion looks bad on tape. Are you screwing with me?
>>
>>17053254
You could try compromising and use an old VHS camcorder for certain scenes and a digital one for the rest that you then edit/filter or whatever.
>>
>>17053265
My point was that I love oldschool gear but it is a lot easier to work on modern stuff. I did lots of analogue photography too and although it is fun to develop your own pictures in a lab after a time it'll be quite a pain in the ass.
>>
>>17053289
Well if you ever do stop motion again use 16mm
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-07-00h58m17s182.png (410KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-07-00h58m17s182.png
410KB, 720x400px
>>17052938
>>
I recommend u watch der todesking
>>
I know this is a tad unrelated, but I have a question for you guys:
Do any of you think a computer animated short film can be scary/disturbing in the same way something like "lights out" can be? I've yet to see it actually be achieved, only attempted.

Here it is in case you guys haven't seen it>>>>https://vimeo.com/82920243
>>
>>17053572

doing my best to not be edgelord, but I didn't find that particularly scary any more so than the sea of other amateur shorts out there.

there are some animated things that have given me a creepy feeling when they're done well. this one isn't "scary" but it's certainly got a vibe and atmosphere to it that's uniquely unsettling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQrzviTPQg
>>
Bumpan for amateur filmbro
>>
Although it'll sacrifice video quality tremendously, I'd say go with an analog camera instead of a digital one. It grants a much more authentic kind of look.

Next, the beginning plot line HAS to be a viable reason to have a camera out. Everyone has a video recorder in their pocket (cell phone), but no one is filming unless it's WORTH filming. Think like a wedding, going to some championship game in which you intimately know one of the competitors and you're filming them getting ready, etc. If the camera is running for no reason other than your desire to further the plot, it's harder for the audience to suspend their disbelief.

One trick I'd like to see more often used in these types of movies, is the camera spontaneously being turned on at a failed attempt to document something spooky that had just happened. Like, people don't have cameras on them running 24/7, but you'd take it out in a fucking hurry to try and capture a table levitating. I think a great scene would involve half the cast freaking out, and a loud BOOM (from the table crashing onto the ground as the camera is trying to focus), followed by a few terrified cast members trying to convince the others that the table was actually floating.
>>
>>17053508
i'm a fan
>>
>>17052581
I think you should focus on the story first father than what camera to use, it will be shit without a good story.
>>
>>17054877
Pretty good idea, although with the levitating table, I think it would be a good idea if that turned out to be a prank instead of the real deal. Ghosts levitating random objects for no reason is a dull cliche.

>>17054966
This.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.