[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys I'm worried about my friend. He's a physics p

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: watts.jpg (275KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
watts.jpg
275KB, 1252x1252px
Guys I'm worried about my friend. He's a physics phd and he's depressed. I want to introduce him to the fucking god-tier genius perspective of Alan Watts, but I don't know which book would be best suited to a depressed, deeply-entrenched, hardcore sciencefag. Can anyone tell me which of Alan's books would be most suitable?

Also skellingtuns. oooo paranormal etc.

Thanks /x/.

And in appreciation of my man Alan, the fucking god that he was, gotta post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRrCYPxD0I

Thanks again /x/philebros.
>>
Sorry, forgot to mention i'm a girl
>>
>>17052052
> 1 / 0 / 2
nice try.
>>
it's coming. be prepared.

https://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=alan%20watts
>>
Give him Frege and Russell and Wittgenstein.
>>
If you're still around somehow, OP:

Some of his books are collections of his essays on various but intertwined topics, such as "Does It Matter?" (very good, first book I read of his, essays on money, materialism, food, and room layouts--great stuff!) and "Cloud Hidden; Whereabouts Unknown" (his final published work, also spectacular, maybe more physics-related, but he goes and just gives away the 'big ol secret')--it might be a good place to start here, as the subjects change and stay fresh.

Otherwise, "The Book: The Taboo on Knowing Who You Are" is a nice overview of his "tat tvam asi" philosophy, as well as his most popular books.

Watts was an ordained minister, and has books on the rituals of Christianity; his books on Tao are good; it really depends on what your friend is interested in.

Maybe some of his recorded lectures would be good to share? Watts was a great public speaker, and I think I read his books in his voice.

Good luck! Hope this helps someone, if not OP.
>>
File: 1445270868410.jpg (22KB, 212x254px) Image search: [Google]
1445270868410.jpg
22KB, 212x254px
>>17052045
I too went through some severe depression during my early twenties. Listening to people like Watts, McKenna, Sagan and Feynman really did help.

Ultimately you come to a certain understanding about life and yourself, all roads will eventually lead to this point but some people just face it sooner than others.

Synchronicity would have me recommend 'In my own way' as it was on my floor next to me. I also hear good things about 'The wisdom of insecurity'

I hope your friend is able to overcome his negative emotions and find the brilliance in the world, those eyes he once used as a child.
>>
>>17053697
>I too went through some severe depression during my early twenties. Listening to people like Watts, McKenna, Sagan and Feynman really did help.
no shit. same here. i became absolutely convinced that the universe was utterly deterministic and that there was no such thing as free will. watts convinced me otherwise.
the ship doesn't drive the wake. the 'now' dictates the past. forever in his debt for that alone.

the east is the yin to the west's yang. having an understanding and an appreciation of the two really can enrich your life and drag you out of even the most profound depression. we're one and the same, the contrast by which our selves make sense.

watts was a fucking hero. shitloads of his lectures on youtube, recommend the fuck out of them to... basically everyone.
>>
>>17053646
thanks anon, he was a superb speaker for sure but his books are a little dry, but thing is i'd rather give my bro a book for christmas as opposed to a link on youtube, yaknow?
giving him some of the recorded lectures is a good idea i guess, but i'm reluctant to spend money on something which is freely available on youtube.
you might well be right though. i perhaps should just do this.
...actually you know what, fuck it. you're absolutely right. i should and shall do this.
thanks again anon.

bumping with this, because holy shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU0PYcCsL6o
>>
As a depressed person this video increased my dissociation ergo anxiety ergo overall despair.

Because he is a dancer with words, and dresses up promises of not remembering death to look like some profound nugget of enlightenment that is supposed to blow the minds of all.
>>
>>17054694
mate, listen to more of his stuff. i know it takes a while to kind of... 'get it', but i will put my reputation (for what it's worth, i.e fuck all unfortunately as an anon) on the line and assert that once you've listened to more of his lectures, something will 'click' and you'll 'get it'.
keep an open mind, listen non-stop, read jung too, read the FUCK out of the corpus hermeticum (which inspired isaac newton no less i shit you not), realise that richard dawkins said "there may be something to this", realise that the rut which presently depresses you, once you've sufficiently studied watts and the like, is likely by way of appreciation of the contrasting philosophies, to give you such a profound and unimaginably new perspective that even your depression, deep as it may be, may one day be considered trivial. good luck mang. worked for me, works for a lot of people, hope it works too for you.
>>
>>17054711

"If there were no eyes on this earth the sun would not be light"

While I do enjoy your enthusiasm, these sorts of quips don't mean anything, once you understand symbols and their masters, you see the delusion. He's teaching the Godhead. Alan Watts would appear nutritious for fertile minds, but to gardeners his tools, though beautiful, are impracticable.
>>
>>17054770
what is light other than photon energy traveling through the eternal infinity of nothingness which is space? we by our very seeing it define it as light, yet it is an otherwise inconsequential happening of no relevance to us or even the cosmos itself, whether it happens or not. by seeing it, by interpreting and by labeling it as "light", it as such to our great-ape minds becomes light and human interpretation of it makes sense to us. it's simply our best-guess as to how it should be interpreted among the perceivable spectrum of energies which inhabit our universe. light no more exists without conscious interpretation than does the non-existent sound of a tree falling in the woods without anyone there to hear it, so too does the sound of one hand clapping mean nothing without the contrasting hand being there to transform what would otherwise be nothing, into what we perceive to be sound.
>>
i would recommend http://www.amazon.com/My-Big-TOE-Complete-Trilogy/dp/0972509461

nuclear physicist approaching the subject from a scientific perspective. there's a healthy dose of philosophy, but it's mostly about the technical aspects of the larger reality in which we exist.

im sure something such as this would be of way more interest than watt's which can easily be entirely brushed aside as mystical hogwash for someone so emotionally entrenched in the physical world
>>
>>17054796

>If there were no beefburgers on earth big macs would not exist

That's what it sounds like to me. I'm starting to believe universal consciousness is a hoax. All life is spent escaping life or thinking about death. But isn't there such order.
>>
>>17054811

I will read this, however.
>>
>>17054811

here's a video of this guy on the subject of depression/suicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GiLDuaDl4I
>>
>>17054872

I am listening to Watts.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfIYGaslVnA
>>
File: shrug.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>17052052
>Sorry, forgot to mention i'm a girl

So have sex with your depressed friend. Problem solved.
>>
>>17054683

His books may be a little dry, yes; on the other hand, I gave a copy of Cloud Hidden to a friend (her first exposure to Watts), and she said she will read a few paragraphs and have to mentally digest it for a day or two. It's hard to do that with a youtube snippet.

Also, his lectures in full, if you can find them, are absolutely amazing. You can pay 300$ for some on his site, but they can be found around, too.

But what an awesome Christmas gift man.
>>
>>17052236
why the sudden spike in 2013? did some rapper mention him or something?
>>
>>17052045
>Doctor Pavel, I'm CIA.
>>
>>17054348
Don't give him a book. Let him listen to Alan Watt's audio stuff. The dude was a genius speaker.

Alan Watt's books are for after you get introduced to him through his lectures.

But if you must give him a book. Try "The Book: on the taboo against knowing who you are"
>>
>>17052045
>the god-tier genius perspective of Alan Watts

I don't even have a reaction image that can accurately portray how hard I laughed when I read that
>>
>>17055729
well memed. clearly you know better. i can't wait for you to elaborate. please do better, mr messiah.
>>
>>17055094
>taking b8
>not knowing who the retard is here
>>
Bump, intradested
>>
>>17052045
tell him Max Planck, the man who discovered quantum physics, was a Christian
>>
Alan Watts was obviously an Intelligence shill. His voice is purposed to be so, with intentional breaks in his voice like a prepubescent boy with intent to show those listening vulnerability of his assurance that he was indeed channeling the holy spirit. Indeed it was all intentional, and that he is nothing but a shill. That is all.
>>
>>17052045
Show him this video and then recommend a book. This is a greatly entertaining and concise animation of his overall philosophy. I have been listening to his lectures since 2012. He is truly a master way beyond any conception of time and space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YgEhvZDZVg
>>
>>17055752
He doesn't have a god-tier perspective though, it's not his. It's a mixture of Taoist and Buddhist teachings. He's just very, very articulate and thus is able to portray his message very clearly. That being said, I listen to his lectures at least a few times a week. Just don't overrate him.
>>
>>17052045
Introduce him to Jiddu krisnamurti first, then Alan Watts, and last Manly P Hall.
The holy trinity of fixing yourself, if you havent got the will to read the Pali canon.
>>
>>17052236
desu it looks like the trend is sputtering out.
A consciousness revolution is in order though.
>>
File: morph1.jpg (453KB, 1752x790px) Image search: [Google]
morph1.jpg
453KB, 1752x790px
>>17054825
The Universe is alive man.
Everything in the macroscopic, is a reflection of the microscopic. Recently they're was a big upset in the physics community over the possibility of an 11th dimension. In a couple years they will come to realize there is a 12th, then possibly a 13th a few months later. Eventually they'll learn, that the number of dimensions contained in this existence is infinite.
Academia will soon have to accept the reality of paradox and the necessity of it in this existence. What is infinite can be contained. The macrocosm united with the micro.
All shall come to understand, what they really are.
>>
File: fgfsgfgfgs.jpg (24KB, 500x436px) Image search: [Google]
fgfsgfgfgs.jpg
24KB, 500x436px
>>17056932
Calm down there, Jaden.
>>
File: islam.webm (3MB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
islam.webm
3MB, 720x304px
>>17056932
>The Universe is alive
agreed. consciousness just makes us feel separate, but we're not.
>>
>>17056763
>Manly P Hall
what would you recommend?, I'm only vaguely familiar with his book the secret teachings of all ages. where does he get into fixing yourself?.
>>
>>17052045
If he's willing to listen to Alan Watts, he might also like Terence Mckenna.
>>
>>17056527
Maybe you're just a delusional person who over analyzes things. He states clearly in many lectures that he isn't trying to convince anyone to believe a certain way; he is informing the listener of other philosophies. If you can't separate teaching and convincing, you're mentally rekt m8.
>>
>>17056883
>desu it looks like the trend is sputtering out.
click on "forecast" m8e, it's trending upwards.
>>
>>17052045
Uh, OP, you don't get to bring friends.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_HkQ4-x4P4&list=PLbvQYJU3_bzZEfOf5kVWFh0iDtHh8wiVm&index=3
>>
>>17061109
i want to hug this man. what a pro bro.
>>
>>17053697
>Bane ?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.