[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i'm new to Lovecraft, What's the best order to read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1.png (19KB, 666x501px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
19KB, 666x501px
So i'm new to Lovecraft, What's the best order to read the stories in?

better yet, What story(ies) should i start on?

Other than that ITT: Lovecraft/Seacreatures and shit
>>
>>17038064
I would also like this, I started reading "It", but it doesn't quite make want to finish it
>>
>>17038087
the Stephan King novel?
>>
File: JUN152823.jpg (78KB, 705x1000px) Image search: [Google]
JUN152823.jpg
78KB, 705x1000px
>>17038064
Just buy one of those "collected works of" books. Some damn editor has already worked through this dilemma for publishing purposes.
>>
The Music of Erich Zann is my personal favorite. It's a one off short story
>>
Mountain of madness is what got me hooked on Lovecraft and still my favorite to this day.
>>
File: AUG150178.jpg (168KB, 647x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AUG150178.jpg
168KB, 647x1000px
>>17038097
Good old Steven has done one or two actual Lovecraft mythos type stories over the years.
But I don't think "It" counts as one of them.
>>
>>17038122
The Mist was very Lovecraftian, that's probably my favorite story of his
>>
>>17038114
this t-de-b-su-h. lovecraft anthologies r galore m80
>>
I read all of his work in alphabetical order first, and reread in the chronological order in the stories (those that are related).
>>
>>17038064
Theres a few good Youtube videos on how to interpret his tone.

One goes all the way back to his idea of the Magma encased pre-cambrian earth
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 220x208px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 220x208px
>>17038064

Just buy all his work. I did. In a nice leather binder. 1112 pages. £12.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1631060015?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
>>
>>17038064
Some go in some sort of order, but most do not.
Get the collected works, they will put the stories in the right order, but most of them can be read in whatever order you want.
>>
>>17038064
Order doesn't really matter. A more important consideration is whether you're sure you really want to read Lovecraft. Some people find they dislike his writing style, others find the reading level too challenging, and still others find they don't enjoy how he treats his themes.

I would suggest you start with Pickman's Model, The Colour Out of Space, and The Rats in the Walls. In that order. Get a taste of how he writes.

His best works are probably The Mound and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, but they're longer and you shouldn't start with them.
>>
File: tumblr_mxl5hc8xfP1s748a0o1_500.jpg (201KB, 500x725px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxl5hc8xfP1s748a0o1_500.jpg
201KB, 500x725px
>>17038064
I'd recommend "The Quest of Iranon"; "Celephais"; and "The Other Gods." Lovecraft's works are essentially divided into the Cthulhu Mythos, the Dream Cycle, and miscellaneous short stories. The Dream Cycle (which contains my recommendations) is based on the writing style of Lord Dunsany, and is overall more polished than his other works. The Dream Cycle tends toward dark fantasy while the Cthulhu Mythos veers into cosmic horror.
>>
>>17038765
This.

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is legendary. It is also extremely long and could be hard to follow if you don't read much from the era it was written in.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.