[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much knowledge was lost in the dark age? Will we ever reach

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

File: darkages.gif (8KB, 363x323px) Image search: [Google]
darkages.gif
8KB, 363x323px
How much knowledge was lost in the dark age? Will we ever reach the magical and alchemical heights of that time?
>>
How the fuck do you quantify "scientific advancement"?
>>
File: 5.png (81KB, 928x667px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
81KB, 928x667px
What is really stupid about that 'dark ages' chart is that it implies ALL science only happens in Europe. During that time Arabic areas & India were making huge advances in math. China was making advances in chemistry and metallurgy. In Meso-America astronomy and basic surgery skills were being developed.

The idea that world science stopped during Europe's Medieval period is retarded.
>>
File: Muh Dark Age.png (2MB, 1386x4653px) Image search: [Google]
Muh Dark Age.png
2MB, 1386x4653px
>>
>>17005224
This, plus there was stuff going on in Europe too. I get the feeling OP is just a weak troll though.
>>
>>17005192
*tips fedora*
>>
>>17005192
I guess you could say that the graph isn't very... scientific.
>>
>>17005192
this has to be the most moronically retarded chart I've ever seen
>>
File: Fedoras.png (181KB, 1251x585px) Image search: [Google]
Fedoras.png
181KB, 1251x585px
>>
File: 1436124858955.jpg (66KB, 620x622px) Image search: [Google]
1436124858955.jpg
66KB, 620x622px
>>17005265
>getting baited so hard that he writes an entire book review
>>
>>17005316
Well to be fair both Christians and Muslims have saved some books and destroyed some others.
>>
So you're saying Charlemagne cheated me out of my flying car? Well fuck him.
>>
>>17005192
Modern science is actually dumbing people down
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 404x389px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 404x389px
>>17005400
>tfw nobody believes this because they're told the opposite by scientists
>>
>>17005400
In what way?
>>
>>17005439
Popular Science (the concept, not so much the magazine) always rushes to give slapdash explanations, unfounded theories, and so on to people, always under the veil of "truth". People who have no means to investigate for themselves or no willpower to speak out just have to accept it or else they'll be called all kinds of names.
>>
>>17005458
Can you give an example when this has happened?
>>
>>17005465
Evolutionary Psychology, Global Warming, Fracking, and so on. Its not so much science as the media/political wing of science, but there's no separating the two.
>>
File: not again.jpg (110KB, 460x523px) Image search: [Google]
not again.jpg
110KB, 460x523px
Tfw mad about the knowledge lost when the library of Alexandria was destroyed.
>>
>>17005477
If these are just "unfounded theories," as you say, why do you feel like you know the truth? Don't you feel like its arrogant to believe that you're the one with it all figured out?
>>
Christian church says it's bad, go research it it's probably something that will save all mankind, the church wants people scared of God so that they have control over people. i.e. Do this or else your going to hell or, hey don't look into older religions or truths about man, well tell you the truth.....oh and our library's are closed to public because you know science....
>>
>>17005487
I don't have it all figured out, I just know that politics and hype are what drives science these days.
>>
Nice role play
>>
the christian dark ages didn't last that long

they lasted until only about 1000 ad
>>
>>17005224
>China

China were far more scientifically advanced than most of the world realise and could have been world dominant. They were just unlucky in the fact that they preferred paper and clay to glass, a preference which no doubt stopped them from accidentally discovering the light-bending properties of glass, telescopes, and in the end the properties of light itself.

It was hundreds of years before Europe caught up.
>>
>>17005487
> know the truth

better to focus on knowing the lies.
>>
>>17005609
Not to mention Europe only did catch up because new technology and knowledge was brought from the East (China, India, Persia) by the Turks (via Byzantine Empire) and Arabs and Berbers (via Iberian Peninsula). We as a society greatly underestimate the contribution of those cultures to our own.
>>
>>17005477
this. People want seperation of church and politics, but the seperation of science and politics might be even more important.

In the end its scientists and engineers who invent weapons of mass destruction, bombs, and automatic machineguns.
Atleast in the crusades people where fighting with swords. Now we can theoretically wipe out an entire country in a few days. Not that any war is justifiable, but it makes a difference if you fight with a sword or a machine gun.
>>17005400
People stop thinking critically. There was this test once where some researches spread an obvious bullshit theory.
They published 2 papers. In the second one they used buzzwords like "science, fact, Proffesor, PhD, expert, scientist"

The second paper got instantly approved as true by pop-science and spread quickly around websites.

The first paper was exactly the same, except it got all the buzzwords removed.
It's spread quickly died out and was rejected.

Confirmation bias, publication bias and the fact that many scientists serve political and profit interests of big companies and governments has ruined genuine science of disovering how the world around us works.

Another lie by "science" is that in the past we used to become less older and this used as a justification to make the workforce work longer in their lifes before retiring. (Laws in the EU have been passed to make the retirement age from 50 to 68 and they want to make it even higher).
The actual truth is that the natural avarage age of dead is decided by genetics and has about stayed the same for thousends of year.
The only thing that has improved is dead at birth, but that has nothing to do with it.

True science should be neutral. It should just observe and ask questions.
>>
>>17005480
I know tfw
>>
Dont you just love how every thread on /x/ now turns into so argument that is really rooted in political correctness? Arguments sometimes over the most asinine factors. Everything is a fight against those people who want to do what they want and make shit up without responsibility and those people who are more serious/rational. Those people who are more serious/rational are beaten into submission every time and there is just silence while some 12 year old girl goes on a witchhunt/anger filled rant about some stupid fucking thing like an iPhone flash causing lens flare therefore blacks invented gunpowder. I hope these selfish bitches get put in their place one day. Maybe they'll be imprisoned and slaughtered by foreigners just like they want.. Seriously white women need to be put in their place right now.
>>
>>17005192
Magic isn't real and alchemy was just a stupid version of chemistry.
>>
>>17005346
kek
>>
>>17005192
most of history is a lie anyways
>>
>>17007259
If you can't handle an argument why the fuck do you come here.
>>
>>17005224
yeah I'm pretty sure europe was peak in like shipmaking and while a lot of practical healing was lost from the records it was not lost from practice, midwives still practiced herbal medicine and regular medicine practices a few of which are still superior to the ones we use today, for example birthing position, to medieval european midwives it was known that the healthiest birthing position was a squat, not lying flat on the back like we do today and birthing this way leads to less complications etc etc and it it was only until like after the renaissance that people started birthing like that because some english king wanted to watch his child be born and that was considered the proper way to birth from then on out.

the aztecs (or maybe it was the inca) were actually really advanced in agriculture until the conquistadors tried to change the way they grew their crops to what worked for them best back in europe but it didnt work out and fucked up the whole agriculture system until archaeologists dug up the remains of some of their weird waterlogged strip mound farms and that shit ended up working better than regular farming there when the archaeologists recreated it and so they showed it to the people who farm there now, it was all really interesting, all lost after the rennaisance

same with the people of west africa they used to grow all their crops beneath these rows of trees before imperialism and shit and what that did was it kept the soil in place and wet and kept the crops safe, when they stopped that and cut the trees down the land dried up and the crops wouldn't grow and the sahara started to spread further and so now all of those countries that now have territory the people who used to do that shit lived and where the sahara is spreading are planning to plant some x mile thick strip of trees all the way across the border of the sahara to stop it spreading and to make new farm land
>>
God damn it.

I'm a militant atheist but this graph is fucking lunacy.
>>
also there was no real incentive for europe to advance technologically after rome fell, they weren't really battling other huge empires any longer and their main concern was pagans and vikings and shit, without a real need or push to advance a society won't advance, tribal societies all over the world just haven't advanced because they don't need to, they can live their lives and they don't really need to do anything else like most tribal religions are animist or whatever, there is no drive for salvation or anything like that they don't need to go out and convert and save people or defend themselves from anyone else anymore mostly because the people around them have either died off, merged or joined a modern society. some of them might engage in light industry and trade like the Masai i know sell stuff and manufacture stuff and buy things at markets but still live an existence where they don't need to be developing things or using that many new developments apart from like medicine and sometimes food
>>
File: 151651.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
151651.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
>>17007259

> people who are more serious/rational are beaten into submission

> white women need to be put in their place
>>
File: 1440238829430.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1440238829430.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>17007259
>All this projecting
On a scale from one to Brazilian dams, how shattered is your shitter?
>>
>>17005224
Literally using only terms he saw while playing civilization. Fucking child. Checked.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.