[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT we try to solve the Zodiac killer's unsolved 340 ci

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: mtpj74.gif (24KB, 640x895px) Image search: [Google]
mtpj74.gif
24KB, 640x895px
ITT we try to solve the Zodiac killer's unsolved 340 cipher.

Quick backstory: Zodiac was a serial killer in the 60's and 70's who teased the police by sending them a ton of letters. He sent the police two cipher puzzles, one of which were solved. Zodiac's second cipher has still never been solved and neither has the killer's identity been revealed.

We are all gonna try our best to crack this cipher, if you find something interesting, post it here.

Great online tool for the cipher: http://oranchak.com/zodiac/webtoy/

Useful observations: http://zodiackillerciphers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Encyclopedia_of_observations
>>
>>15431134
>340-100=240
>240=420
>blaze it

yolo
>>
>>15431134

Arthur Leigh Allen.

/thread
>>
>>15431134
>boo I'm a fuckin ghoooooOooOoOooost
>>
>>15431164
Even if he was the ZK, that doens't solve the cipher.
>>
>>
Monoalphabetic substitution.

Maybe some Caesar shift?

I'm not sure but it should be a start.
>>
>>15431179
>seriously thinking this is a real solution
the guy who made that gets pissed when he's questioned about it.
>>
>>15431185
If it were that simple it would have been solved in the first two weeks. Monoalphabetic substitution is a cryptographic joke.
>>
>>15431195
Not if it's rooted in another cypher as well.
>>
>>15431199
It's probably a decoding cipher, where the symbols are replaced by letters, just like the first one.
>>
>>15431134
Haha. You guys will never crack it, or find me.
>>
>>15431233
Who are you? Actually, who cares? I don't want to say much more than that.
>>
>>15431233
hi uncle
>>
>>15431134

The funniest explanation is probably the right one. He sent in one cipher to get people paying attention to him... then sent in a bunch of TOTALLY RANDOM SYMBOLS so that great minds of the world would churn forever on the mystery of his awesomeness. Forever, and ever.
>>
>>15431314
Know what? You're probably right.
>>
>>15431233
I know where you are either the basement or in the closet probably both
>>
The reason it is unsolved is because it is gibberish random shit, he was worried the detectives were getting too close and wanted to keep them busy with a whole lot of nothing.
Also Zodiac was Earl Van Best Jr.
>>
>>15431537
No I am not.
>>
>>15431134
Toughest word search ever
>>
>>15431134
been greatly interested in the ZK ciphers, after countless years of research and painstaking work deciphering the 340. I deciphered a portion of it, a clear cut message that read "OP is a faggot".
>>
Let's try something harder.
>Voynich Manuscript
>>
File: 1281445433248.jpg (12KB, 241x230px) Image search: [Google]
1281445433248.jpg
12KB, 241x230px
>>15431134
I've never understood deciphering threads, tons of people who actually WORK with this all day long have tried and gotten nowhere.
Do you honestly believe that someone with magical deciphering skills would go on /x/ this moment and find this thread and think "hell, I haven't seen this before, let's give it a try. Oh look, I solved it".
>>
>>15431597
yes
>>
>>15431592
I would very interested in this
>>
>>15431597
Cryptography and ciphering is a pretty intuitive process. A lot of times a breakthrough comes in an otherwise inaccessible work simply because someone either spotted a particular similarity or had a random inspiration, like scrounging for proper nouns or noting syllable rhythms. These intuitive moments are easier to hit the more people you have working on it, so much so that the professionals you appeal to have in recent decades taken to crowd sourcing out as of yet undecipherable texts. Is it likely that 4chan is about to translate the Voynich Manuscript? No, but if they try, it does actually improve the overall odds.
>>
I decoded this years ago, OP. Every character is actually just the letter A. I think he's trying to describe the screaming of his victims.

It probably doesn't say anything, OP.
>>
>>15431660
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiT_5cr3tYI
>>
File: 1415041022061.gif (36KB, 640x895px) Image search: [Google]
1415041022061.gif
36KB, 640x895px
>>15431134
The thing to remember with this specific cipher is that it was meant for the police to find in the year 1969. Knowing this you'd have to put yourself in their position in that year, and having the other zodiac letters because they are all connected and this cypher is a code that translates hidden messages in the other letters.
Putting this along side the other ciphers you can find other hidden messages as well.
>>
>They were all in it together
>They were cult killings
>>
>>15431659
Great post, Xeno. I would think that Z's 340 cipher would be easier to solve than the Voynich Manuscript, and entirely possible.

4chan has done some impressive detective work thoughout the years and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the place where the cipher finally was solved, if it's possible to solve it that is. Remember that the first cipher was cracked by a regular guy with his wife one morning.
>>
>>15431670
>You have to know Kabbalah to solve them
Fug.
>>
>>15431694
And that's the reason most people don't like cryptography! The inspiration for any given cipher could come from literally thousands of different sources of language, mathematics, religion, train time tables, anything. When I was 15 I made one that was a self referential looping cipher utilizing the periodic table. My personal favorite I ever saw was one involving drawing clouds. So to be good in the field typically means being able to at least have a passing familiarity with a lot of different patterns from throughout the whole of human culture and history.
>>
>>15431685
I love to think how that would totally make some /x/-er's day, to be the 4chan personality (or part of the group) that cracked the Zodiac Code.
>>
>>15431164
>Arthur Leigh Allen.
It wasn't him.

Neither the DNA nor the hand prints matched Allen. Supposedly handwriting didn't either.
>>
>>15431685
Actually, wouldn't a smaller cipher be harder to work with than a larger one? A larger text gives you more to see and a better chance to spot any consistent patterns or repeating characters/words, a smaller message doesn't, especially if it is kept concise.
>>
What if the first one is a keypad for solving the next one?
>>
>>15433473
Hmm... one could try.
>>
>code unsolved by professional cryptologists for decades
>OP comes along
>on /x/
>"were gunna try our best"
>>
>>15434376
Why not?
>>
>>15431185
Unfortunately the method requited to actually solve this must much more complex than Caesar shift.
Any cracking that doesn't take into consideration the symbol in bottom might prove to be just some partial interpretation of the code (a message that makes sense perhaps, but has nothing to do with the original one). If we look at the characters, you can notice the have shifting orientations, which could be linked to the cardinal cross at the bottom - perhaps it can be used to indicate the orientation of the reading. The problem is that the code uses both letter replacement/shifting (which is somewhat easier and more of a classic way of decoding messages) and non-letter symbols. The latter seem to be related by geometric logic, for the represent more or less the same figures, with variations on how the are "filled" or divided. Among these symbols, the ones that seem to be more of a good start for interpretations are the ones that represent a modification or a miniature of the cardinal cross at the bottom. They may be quite explicit indications on how to read the code, with indications such as "read left part only" and "rotate the paper 90* to the right".
>>
>>15431233
Fuck off attention seeking not-Zodiac killer.
>>
The first two lines are ALL unique symbols. >26, so its not as simple as 1 symbol 1 letter. Maybe theres a combination of punctuation symbols and symbols that stand for whole words. Could someone do an analysis that guessed the probability that a certain group of symbols was a word based on the spacing between the symbols? I imagine that there is a strong subconscious drive to separate distinct words that might make a person writing this more likely to put even microscopically larger spaces between symbols that end and begin words, and maybe smaller spaces between symbols that are part of larger words.
>>
>>15434759
Great thinking, good ideas!
>>
You guys ever think that maybe one person wrote the letters and another person murdered?

Like Bob Vaughn wrote and Leigh Allen killed. I guess it's possible.
>>
>>15437714
But neither the handwriting nor the DNA/fingerprint samples matched ALA.
>>
I guess that in the Exorcist letter could be the fingerprint of Bob Vaughn. And the fingerprint in the taxi cab could be of any passenger. Right? There are any prove who could only be of the Zodiack killer? Like 100%.
>>
>>15437748
There's a print taken in blood and I think one taken off a phone handle that was fresh and after the phone was left hanging.

Plus they got DNA samples from the envelopes (and maybe another palm print?).

I don't think it was two people working together, it would be an unnecessarily difficult thing to cooperate and I just don't see it. Plus he said to have acted alone, if he weren't I think he would have played that up to scare people since he was clearly into that.

Also it wasn't Allen, none of the evidence matched him.
>>
People with actual training and experience haven't been able to break it since Zodiac sent it out.

The fact you lot think you have a chance makes me laugh.
>>
>>15437953
Code breaking experts couldn't decipher the first one either, but a regular guy could with his wife at home.

?

HOLY SHIT
What if the guy who solved the first one is Zodiac?!?!?
>>
>>15437967
Considering how fast the code was solved even though experts couldn't; this is very plausible.
>>
File: p01m5x3v.jpg (33KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
p01m5x3v.jpg
33KB, 480x270px
Code:
He wasn't killing innocent people.
The people were made innocent by the news/media/politicians.
His victims dun goofed.
His letters were reports on his victim-findings.
>>
Hey, so I was looking around and found a person who solved the 32 code, revealing the name as Tea Kaczynski. The unabomber. This makes a lot of sense to me.

http://unazod.com/Wilks_32.htm
>>
>>15438219
Hmm... interesting.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.