[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is autistic used pejoratively? Whatever happened to calling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0976.jpg (140KB, 1260x840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0976.jpg
140KB, 1260x840px
Why is autistic used pejoratively? Whatever happened to calling people retarded or whatever? Seems oddly specific.
>>
I think it started with minecraft? but yeah it makes no sense.
>>
>>380595
Because it's not used the same way as retard.
>retard
does something stupid, in the sense that they lack intelligence
>autist
does something stupid, in the sense that they focus highly on something insignificant

BTW I don't use either of these terms as insults.
>>
>>380595
Autism is a choice.
>>
>>380722
This doesn't make sense.
>>
In the early days of the internet, the cool way to claim special victim status was to self-diagnose yourself as having Asperger's or (high-functioning) autism. As most of these people had the amount of social graces you'd expect, "aspy", "sperg", "autist" and the like came to be used as insults for the socially incompetent.

On /a/, this process was accelerated by regular posts claiming various anime girls are autistic.
>>
>>380595
It's the same as with "nigger" and "faggot". Neither of those "expressions" imply to historical minority of humanity that much anymore. Our X parents are carrying those, however how it is Really with Z. We are a generation of mindsets and not that much of "minorities".
>>
>>380825
>caring about whether stuff makes sense
Don't be so autistic about it
>>
Autism hits too close to home! That's why it's so popular.
This thread should be on /qa/ though.
>>
>>380876
/qa/ is more concerned with an imaginary culture war and bitching about /pol/ to talk about meta anymore.
>>
Autistic people often have difficulty in communication and are slow in registering sarcasm
>>
>>380617
It actually started with Homestuck.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.