[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tv/ guy here new to anime what are some good slice of life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: NHK-2-620x349.jpg (65KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
NHK-2-620x349.jpg
65KB, 620x349px
/tv/ guy here new to anime

what are some good slice of life stuff? I really enjoyed welcome to the nhk

if possible with eng dub
>>
3-Gatsu no Lion
Planetes
Shirobako
House of Five Leaves

Also learn to watch anime subbed since there are a lot of anime with horrible dubs that pretty much ruin the anime and some anime don't even have dubs.
>>
File: Starter Pack.png (3MB, 830x7914px) Image search: [Google]
Starter Pack.png
3MB, 830x7914px
>>380027
have a chart
I liked Tatami Galaxy a lot myself, but I'm both sorta tasteless and in the shoes of the main character
on the chart opposite NHK is Watamote, which is cringe comedy with dub, but I think it's worth reading
>>
Dennou Coil
Planetes
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
WMT anime
>>
>>380027
I'm not sure if slice-of-life is what you're looking for if you want something like NHK. SoLs tend to be more episodic (perhaps with an overarching plotline that isn't too serious) and lighthearted: "comfy," to invoke the term. And especially manned by moe, girl main casts.

If you want shows structured like NHK and more grounded in reality, then fpbp, basically. I'll also list:
- Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (fewer discrete arcs, more continuous)
- ReLife
- Kids on the Slope
- Hanasaku Iroha
- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

If you are okay with less grounded things:
- Uchouten Kazoku
- Anohana
- Nagi no Asukara
- Orange

If you want stuff that falls into the definition of SoL that I gave earlier:
- Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
- Nichijou
- Flying Witch
- Non Non Biyori
- Mushishi
- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
>>
AZUMANGA DAIHO!!!
>>
File: 1502236076422.jpg (260KB, 728x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1502236076422.jpg
260KB, 728x1186px
>>380027
What are some movies/ TV shows you enjoyed?
That might help with the suggestions.
>>
Space Brothers.
>>
>>380594
favorite shows are
sopranos
Futurama
Friday night lights
arrested development
freaks and geeks
Rome
mad men

wanting some dramady type stuff
>>
File: 1413624840491.gif (498KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1413624840491.gif
498KB, 400x225px
>>380594
I also liked initial d

even the non racing parts. got a bit boring though when it became too much racing I liked the balance of the earlier seasons

also I enjoyed Beck mongolian chop squad
>>
File: 1484944384539.png (230KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
1484944384539.png
230KB, 768x432px
Aria
Haibane Renmei
Aku no Hana (avant garde warning)
Kino's Journey
Ghost Hound

>>380643
>wanting some dramady type stuff
drama paired with comedy in anime are usually shit titles especially Your Kike in April and Toradora. They're really godawful if any
>>
>>380643
I think you'd really like Monster and 91 Days.
>>
>>380509
Not the op but Thank You.

You anon are something /wsr/ fundamentally needs to reply to every otherwise annoying anime request thread. I have seen to date about 90 something titles and I can recognize only Hanakasu Iroha, Uchouten Kazoku (loved it) and Anohana, and Nichijou, Flying Witch, Non Non Byori and Mushisi. I couldn't watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya more than halfway (I'm one of those, yea).

Thank You for your hard work.
>>
File: 11603324234_welcome_to_the_nhk.png (173KB, 399x362px) Image search: [Google]
11603324234_welcome_to_the_nhk.png
173KB, 399x362px
>>380027
>>380644
Sounds like you have some pretty good taste by me so far.
Welcome to the NHK is my all time favorite anime/manga/novel and I really enjoy Initial D and Beck so I feel like we may have similar taste.
I would have to recommend you Hajime no Ippo (It's one of the only sports anime I fell in love with)

If you really enjoyed the look into the darker side of the characters and how they each impacted the others check out Paranoia Agent or any of Satoshi Kons stuff.

If you're looking for a light hearted thing check out Midori Days or Azumanga Daiho.

And I can definitely suggest the original 90's Berserk to you, the dub is FANTASTIC I love it.
The story is great but I will worn you without spoilers the ending... well... it's absolutely horrid but it might make you wanna read the manga so that's good I guess. It's the journey that cunts really.

I liked FLCL when I was younger so that maybe good.

And I'm sure you can either pirate them or get them off of kissanime (I suggest pirating them)

Then there's the classic shit everyone watches like "Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Haruhi."

Feel free to check out anything that was on old Toonami, they always have good dubs.

Pretty sure everything here has a dub and it's okay-pretty good IIRC Hope you have a good time watching some stuff OP and I hope we meet one day.
>>
>>380752
You're welcome, I guess. I wasn't really trying to list anything obscure (I don't think anything on that list is); just some things off the top of my head that were good. If OP is new to anime, then there isn't any problem recommending the popular things.
>>
>>380676
>Your Kike in April
It's like you didn't even try.
>>
OP here again. I find I don't seem to enjoy a lot of Japanese fantasy. I always found them ridiculous and convoluted to enjoy and shit just doesn't make sense half the time where they pull I win vs out of their ass.

are there any fantasy supernatural type shit that is actually worthwhile?
>>
>>380997
You talk about pulling "I win vs out of their ass." Are you looking for fantasy supernatural with action, combat, and conflict, or just anything that falls under fantasy supernatural?
>>
>>381002
I guess any. if they have deduction bs where they pull out extremely convenient plot armor deduction guesses then I don't want it
>>
>>380997
Mononoke
Natsume Yuujinchou
Uchouten Kazoku
>>
>>381008
Spice and Wolf (linear, drama, not action)
Kyousougiga (the one that aired in 2013)
Mushishi (it's been mentioned before, but it's worth mentioning again)
Baccano!
Akatsuki no Yona (I don't remember specific details too well, but In don't think it has any of the super convenient stuff)
Konosuba (pretty fun, comedy)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (if you can stand cute girl beginnings, it becomes something pretty good)
>>
>>380997
Oh, and if you want movies, Studio Ghibli is great. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle (story is not this one's strength) are all thoroughly enjoyable.

For a non-Ghibli suggestion, while I wouldn't really call Mind Game fantasy, the situations in the film are not realistic. Your enjoyment of NHK makes me think you could enjoy this.
>>
>>380509
Oh, I forgot to say, I don't know about the rest, Haruhi and Mushishi have good dubs. Rakugo is assuredly better experienced in the original Japanese.

Down here >>381023, Spice and Wolf and Baccano! have good dubs. Baccano is probably better experienced in English rather than in Japanese.
>>
Kids on the Slope (Has actual plot)
GJ-Bu (High-school anime where they just fuck around)
Clannad (Also high-school but actual plot and is pretty sad)
Oregairu (Good relatable mc)
Nichijou (Comedy fuck around)
>>
>>380997
Just a heads up Mononoke isn't the same as Princess Mononoke, so >>381013 and >>381029 are recommending different things.
>>
>>380509
Gotta say, Kids on the Slope is great OP. Definitely give it a shot.
>>
>>380027
Don't think there's an english dub, but you'd probably love "Working!" It's an anime about probably the most autistic bunch of people ever working in a restaurant. It's pretty hilarious.
>>
>>381083
This is true Popura is probably the best.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.