[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know 4chan is an anti-intellectual site where "lurk moar"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Smug Chunners.gif (28KB, 145x170px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Chunners.gif
28KB, 145x170px
I know 4chan is an anti-intellectual site where "lurk moar" is considered an argument, and anonymity lends itselfs to collectivism by how come everywhere every argument just devolves into:
"fucking liberals"
"fucking /pol/shitters"
or whatever poorly defined label that people wear nowadays, why does it matter so much what you are rather than what you have to say: is it easier to invalidate their argument if you consider them not worth your time or something?
>>
That's people in general, not just 4Chan. When anyone tries to reject what you're saying because of who you are, the argument's over. And to be fair, maybe it should be.
>>
>>378629
>>>/adv/
>>
It also largely depends on the boards you browse. The faster ones are going to be full of shitposting, and labels like this often get created because said group of people have tendencies and can often be annoying in injecting what they like where it's not wanted. People also talk a lot of shit on this site, sometimes I reckon people don't feel the post is worth the effort in responding to properly, because often it's like talking to a brick wall. The dude on the other end either comes across as stubborn, or has a view that seems so extreme you're likely not going to change with a few words online. So it's easier to just dismiss them, rather than take them seriously.

Logical fallacies go hand in hand with shitposting. For all the bollocks on 4chan, I keep coming back, and that's because when you look, there is legitimate discussion and there are interesting posts and topics covered. The issue you're having is one I've never really considered much myself. It seems to be a much more recent trend anyway, what with the influx of newfags who want to fit in and are perhaps underage.
>>
>>378629
>why does it matter so much what you are rather than what you have to say:

keep in mind that your regular 4chan poster is not a seasoned philosopher, but is usually an angry 17-year-old boy who has just been called a fag in some online game, by another angry 17-year-old boy. these are people who believe "u r faget" is a comeback worthy of Oscar Wilde and who know more about Naruto than they do of formal logic.

in short, if you want decent conversation, then perhaps the toilet bowl of the internet is not the best place to look.

> inb4 LOL FAG
>>
>>378629
Lemme guess: you brought your alt-right "race realism" agenda bullshit to /v/, /co/ or some other non-political board and got smacked down by the commenters, who correctly dismissed you as a joyless unironic bigot. Get over it kiddo
>>
>>378661
I am not really political on this website at all, and I am left-leaning. I browse more of the political boards like /int/ (although this is mostly done in jest there) and /lit/ where this kind of stuff is common, entire books and authors are dismissed because they identify with some label. I don't see how I'd be a "race realist" when I'm asking a question about how idpol became so rampant on the site.
>>
>>378651
LOL FAG

Seriously though, there's discussion to be had here. I often find people who complain a lot about a board or topic are the ones who are looking in the wrong places, and seem to only stick to threads where the thing they don't like is only more common. For instance, they'll complain /v/ doesn't discuss videogames, but will only go into bait threads like "FLOP OF THE CENTURY HAHA 7.2 SCORE NINTENDOOMED" rather than noticing that one little thread where people are discussing their game and even having fun. This extends to posts within a thread as well. Some shitty bait will get loads of replies, other posts are just dismissed.

Also that's just an example. I don't browse /v/ very much, maybe it's gotten worse but I have a look every now and again and it's good when I'm in the right threads. You learn to filter out all the useless bollocks anyawy
>>
>>378668
>You learn to filter out all the useless bollocks anyway
I agree, but people have seemed to have forgotten how to use filters or don't have 4chan x installed, I filtered out many political buzzwords and you wouldn't believe how much nicer it makes the site to read. And I don't touch /v/ either, video games aren't really my cup of tea. /vr/ is different because it's literally just innocent autists wanting to talk about their old junk and consolewar fags cause contention where there shouldn't be any, which again is "NINTENTARDS BTFO N64 SUCKED" "FUCK OFF SONYPONY". Forever
>>378651
>then perhaps the toilet bowl of the internet is not the best place to look.
Would you recommend classical forums? Unironically Reddit? BBS? Most other communities seemed to have died
>>
>>378666
>left-leaning
stopped reading there, >>>/antifa/
>>
>>>/qa/ lads
>>
>>378629
>why does it matter so much what you are rather than what you have to say

Because what you are shapes what you have to say, it's not rocket science.
>>
If you don't understand the purpose of lurk moar you need to LURK MOAR
>>
>>378629
This has got to be the first time in months I've actually seen "lurk moar".
>>
>>379081
Part of it is that people are far too quick to spoonfeed these days
Myself included I reckon
>>
>>378629
Lurk moar isn't an argument dipshit, it's just good advice.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.