[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok guys I need help I've been at this for god damn fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0279.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0279.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Ok guys I need help I've been at this for god damn fucking hours now and can't get it to work...

I recently bought a 1tb hard drive to replace my 300gb one, and I've been trying to get my OS onto my SSD that I have paired with my hard drive.

I installed Win7 cleanly onto my SSD, but now when I disconnect my old hard drive and plug in the new one it wants me to run a boot device.

It will however boot up fine to th desktop if my old 300gb hard drive is plugged in and I simply select the alternate Win7 option during the boot process. It won't boot on its own, or if the 1tb drive is in, which is driving me ducking nuts because it's boots fine when paired with the old hard drive.

I've got all my files saved onto my SSD which il trying to carry over and put onto the 1TB afterwards.

Any ideas?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Currently I have my 1tb and SSD installed and he SSD has the OS, and I get the message above if I try to boot like this.

However it boots to desktop fine from the SSD if the old hard drive is plugged in instead.

I only have 3 SATA cables so running all 3 at the same time isn't an option
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Now I've installed the old hard drive and here I'm selecting the SSD's OS.
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
And it boots to desktop fine now.

What in the fuck is going on? Why won't it boot on its own? What is it ducking piggybacking off the old hard drive this makes no fucking sense
>>
>>377427

Is the SSD tagged as bootable?
>>
>>377432
It's an intel SSD 730 and it should be bootable I don't see why it wouldn't

I can get it to boot to desktop when it's paired with the old drive for some reason
>>
>>377433
I'm assuming the MBR is on your old hard drive and not the new one, so you'll have to repair the MBR.
unplug everything except the ssd and put your windows 7 disc/flash drive back in and repair the installation.
>>
>>377433

What do you mean by "paired"?

I've had a drive not be bootable after an OS install and the PC gave me a similar message to yours, don't know why it happened it just did.
>>
>>377427

Why didn't you just clone your boot partition to the SSD?
>>
>>377436
I don't know I wanted a fresh start so I decided to just install windows and shelve the old drive and just keep my large files like my movies and .iso's

Thinking back on it now I should've just cloned the drive but then I would've had to move a bunch of files onto my external drive temporarily to make space.

>>377434
I'm going to try this, I was just googling my problem and came across a person with the same problem and this is what he was told to do also.

I'm just typing off my phone right now so I'm a bit slow with the replies
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
i ran the repair with just the SSD, it did its thing but got me back to the first image on the original post.

I'm at a loss, I'm about to just give up and just copy everything onto my external drive, and reformat the lot of em and start from scratch
>>
Try asking in the SQT thread of /g/
>>
>>377446

Just install Win7 onto the SSD with no other drives connected, that should create the mbr on the SSD and you're good to go.
>>
>>377446
Try to install again Win7 on SSD without any conected. If no luck with that, maybe you want to format your ssd and try to install again W7 without any conected.
>>
>>377455
I just tried that and it failed, said it was missing files.

I don't get it... I'm just gonna plug back in my old hard drive, put all 250gbs of bullshit onto my external drive, wait the 7 ducking hours for it to copy it all over then reformat the fucking thing and start from scratch.

I read on another site about the guy who had the same problem, apparently the 100mbs of hidden files needed to boot the comp never got installed onto the SSD and the computer would boot from the old hard drive and run the OS from the SSD, he resolved his problem by reformatting from scratch too
>>
>>377458

Did you reformat the SSD during install?
>>
>>377458

Or, reduce your boot partition down to the same size as your SSD and clone it. This is how it's normally done when installing an SSD.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What the fuck now I can't even get the windows installer to work. This is what I get after windows failed to install
>>
>>377468
>>377446
Run repair off the installation media with just the SSD connected twice.

It sounds ridiculous, but it works. Startup Repair keeps track of what it's already done, and on the second run it recreates the system partition (which is what Windows calls the one with the bootloader on because reasons).
>>
>>377427
If you just formatted the fucker anyway, don't waste your (and our) time with all this shit. Just disconnect all the drives, connect the SSD, format it again and install again.

This will correctly install Windows Loader, and you can then plug the other drives back in, making sure to set the SSD as the boot device (if you're using legacy) or delete any Efi System Partitions on the disks that aren't the SSD (if you're using UEFI).
>>
>>377472
I haven't yet just trying a second run at a repair to see if it works like what >>377471
Had said.

But yeah if all else fails I'm going to reformat it, I'm just not wanting to wait a year for all my files to copy onto an external drive just yet.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.