[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help, I'm a mathlet who doesn't understand how are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: the_chosen_1.png (144KB, 870x438px) Image search: [Google]
the_chosen_1.png
144KB, 870x438px
Help, I'm a mathlet who doesn't understand how are these two expressions identical.
Like, I know that sin(nπx) is always 0, but where did the -1/n2π2 come from?
Ignore the constant, it's irrelevant.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>371005
I don't think this is true. We know the cosine part doesn't change if x changes to -x, so you can actually simplify this to

d*x*sin(d*x) = d*|x|*sin(d*|x|) - 1

where d = pi*n. Well it turns out that without the -1, these equations are actually equal, because at points where sin would be negative on either side, it gets canceled out. Not sure how to explain it best, but if you plug in something like dx = -.5pi and dx = 1.5pi you'll see that it's right. But the -1 fucks everything up and makes the equation permanently imbalanced.
>>
File: graph.png (103KB, 1917x618px) Image search: [Google]
graph.png
103KB, 1917x618px
>>371086
I graphed it just to make sure, with n=3 - like I expected, if you change that 1 to a 0 they are exactly equal. Unless I am misunderstanding that equals sign, the equality is invalid.
>>
>>371086
>>371111
As you said,

cos(dx) = cos(-dx) = cos(d|x|)

dx sin(dx) = d|x| sin(d|x|) if x >= 0
dx sin(dx) = -d|x| sin(-d|x|) = -d|x| (-sin (d|x|)) = d|x| sin (d|x|) if x < 0

So the terms are equal except the -1. You can still argument that you get a different constant C' instead of C if n is constant and x>= 0, for example.
>>
>>371126
And? You can call the equations parallel or something, but not equal.
>>
Probably should have specified that this was actually a part of a larger problem https://www.integral-calculator.com/#expr=%7Cx%7Ccos%28n%2Api%2Ax%29&lbound=-1&ubound=1&simplify=1 .
While trying to get the definite integral I noticed that the -1 just sort of appears. Anyone knows how and why?
>>
>>371161
So your actual question is
>how did 2 different methods come up with a different, but pseudo-similar expression
>>
>>371005
>Ignore the constant, it's irrelevant.
No it's not. The C in the first expression is not equal to the C in the second expression.
The difference is that constant term 1/pi^2n^2.

(When computing antiderivatives, you can just add an arbitrary constant.)
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.