[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/. I'm trying to switch to linux because I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170824_150706.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170824_150706.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Hello /g/. I'm trying to switch to linux because I'm such a l337 haxx0r and shit.

Please help install this fucking thing.

I want to install it to the unallocated space of my drive that I've prepared for it without messing up my existing install of Windows 10, and I want to be able to configure the uefi bootloader to ask me wether to boot Linux or Windows at each boot. I also want to have my home folder encrypted and be able to use hibernation.

Please guide me.

Oh and by the way this an UEFI system and I have encrypted Windows with Bitlocker (I'm pretty sure it makes no difference), I absolutely don't want to mess up my Windows install. Google doesn't give me jack shit, only outdated tutorials for BIOS systems running Windows 7, and a lot of pages that are related to breath mints for some reason.
>>
>>369416
You are probably going to it fuck up badly, I suggest you make a nice backup before continuing.
>>
>>369418
Did that already. If I select custom, then select the unallocated space, set the mount point as /, and then continue, will it work just fine? Last time I messed with Linux I remember I had to make a bunch of partition including swap and other shit. Do I even need to create swap for modern linux distros such as this one? I have 8Gb of ram, I don't think I'm ever going to run out and require swap anyway, but I do want to have hibernation, not sure if that needs swap or not.
>>
>>369416

You will then have to select manual.
Also what kind of linux tries to install itself to the whole drive for standard?!
All distros I have seen try their hardest to keep existing systems untouchend and ovewrite partition only after having been explicitely asked to do so and pressing a security confirmation.

The multi- boot menu should happen automatically, grub recognises all installed systems and adds them to the boot menu.
>>
>>369422
Thank you. I was messing around and I noticed that it highly recommends a swap partition if I only select one ext4 partition, how big should it be? Also, I googled a bit harder and it seems like it also needs a /home partition, I assume that is used to store your shit so you don't lose if you reinstall the OS, so it's optional, right?

Also I'm having major instability with my wifi dongle, I guess I'm going to have to install drivers later on... Hopefully after that it will just werk and I won't have to get annoyed with all kinds of troubleshooting and tweaks to make the system usable, I've had enough of that shit in Windows 10 already.
>>
Ok then, I just created two partitions, one for / and one for swap. I'll be back after a reboot...
>>
>>369419
>If I select custom, then select the unallocated space, set the mount point as /, and then continue, will it work just fine?
Yes. But it will not be encrypted, unless you set that up separately.

>Do I even need to create swap for modern linux distros such as this one?
It's optional. I *think* it is necessary for hibernation, but I am not positive.

You should be careful using hibernation in dual boot settings though. If you hibernate operating system X and then boot Y, you can fuck shit up.

>>369423
>Thank you. I was messing around and I noticed that it highly recommends a swap partition if I only select one ext4 partition, how big should it be?
A bit larger than your memory is advisable if you want hibernation. So maybe 10GB.

>Also, I googled a bit harder and it seems like it also needs a /home partition, I assume that is used to store your shit so you don't lose if you reinstall the OS, so it's optional, right?
Indeed. If you make /home a separate partition, it's a bunch easier to later reinstall linux while keeping your files intact. But it's very much optional, and if you don't care much about the files you'll have on your linux partition, I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>369423

The swap partition is equal to the pagefile.sys at your Windows partition, you have 8 Gig, so 4GB maybe?
>>
>>369416
I get you, I get it. Been there done that, I'd recall during 2003 - 2006. Ever since I've ditched any dual boot setups, because in the case of hardware failure, I'd lose both carefully maintained platforms in a one go. And I did, two times before I really learned the lesson.

Get another computer for your Linux. I currently have three, one for Win 10, one for Gnome Debian and one as Ubuntu server. They all talk to each other, they all back up each other. Easy, and it's just household tech.

The cost of a piece of hardware doesn't compare to the work and the files you've cherrypicked here and there. Instead, get another PC and make them talk to each other. You won't be sorry. I promise you that.
>>
>>369442
>because in the case of hardware failure, I'd lose both carefully maintained platforms in a one go

That's what backups are made for.
>>
>>369416
Select manual and point to the right spot
>>
>>369416
>leet haxor
>can't do a simple install of an OS

irony and dickery aside. Just install a distro on a large USB stick (8+ gigs) and boot from the usb in live mode. No need to make new partition,no need for dual booting and no chance to fuck up your initial file system and OS.

www.pendrivelinux.com
>>
>>369423
>>369425
Swap partitions are a stupid idea. Just use a swapfile. Then you can change the size whenever you want. Performance is the same, because swap bypasses the VFS layer: it asks the filesystem for a list of the blocks the swapfile occupies, locks them, and then treats the list of blocks as if it were a swap partition.

You can even use share your swapfile between Windows and Linux, provided you don't hibernate both OSes at the same time (which is such a stupid idea I assume you won't).

>>369442
You've clearly not learned any lesson, or you'd be making backups.
>>
>>369425
It makes it easier if you're planning on formatting the root partition, but you don't need to do that to reinstall the OS, you just move /bin/, /usr/, /etc/, etc. into something like /old_linux/. You can even chroot or container into the old OS and run it like it was still installed, provided the kernel is compatible with the old OS's userspace.
>>
>>369422
>grub will build a boot menu
This is a UEFI machine. Bootloader selection is done by the BIOS, not by hacky chainloading.
>>
>>369416
>I'm pretty sure it makes no difference
Save your recovery key NOW.

If you mess with the boot process*, and can't unmess it to the same state it was, your TPM will not unseal, and Windows will be locked out of its own Bitlocker keys. If you don't have a recovery key and can't convince the TPM to unseal, you lose all your data.

* for instance by replacing winload.efi with a multiboot menu like >>369422 suggested
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.