[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>(x,x^2+x+6) >x,x^2 What the fuck am I suppose to do with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1406447660074.gif (953KB, 330x300px) Image search: [Google]
1406447660074.gif
953KB, 330x300px
>(x,x^2+x+6)
>x,x^2
What the fuck am I suppose to do with that part? It looks like plot points, but in an equation? Am I suppose to multiply them together or something? What does that comma mean? It's really throwing me off.
>>
>>369208
I've seen , used a few different ways.

One is as some kind unit notation like 1,000 (really don't think that is what they mean here)

Another is as coodrainates (x,y,z) So You wouls look at it like
x=x
and
y=x^2+x+6
to solve for a point on the graph of x,y
(bet that is what it is, given the lack of context)

the other is some strange format where . is never used and , replaces it. So 0,5 = 0.5 =1/2 Which is really messed up and I have no idea why anyone would do it like that. If that is the case then the number is used twice, (but I doubt that is the case here).
>>
File: 1462612776565.gif (2MB, 272x204px) Image search: [Google]
1462612776565.gif
2MB, 272x204px
>>369212
>given the lack of context
Oh it's just from a common Calc I question you can find online with different numbers in place.
>The point P(4,26) lies on the curve y=x2+x+6. If Q is the point (x,x2+x+6), find the slope of the secant line PQ for the following values of x.
If it's just another way to write y=blah then that makes sense. I just never seen that before and it was really wracking my brain on what the hell it was suppose to mean.

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>369217
Yea,
I love your y=blah description.
Math is not that hard, it just people and books can really suck at explaining it.

If I ever get around to relearning all the advanced math I forgot I am going to thrift stores to hunt down really old cheap textbooks, the ones from the 70s better fit my learning style. Also finding some stuffy math professor who would love to go over math history. The history adds a lot of context and I found my problems in understanding to follow the someones those famous math figures had when they were inventing the stuff, as they too were learning it for the first time.
>>
>>369223
Thanks.
Anything is hard when you don't know what to do, like me right now.

You can always find them on-, on second thought probably not ones that old. Hopefully you can find those somewhere. I'll think about doing that if I can.
>>
>>369217
>it was really wracking my brain on what the hell it was suppose to mean.

This comes from the need to distinguish different mathematical objects that are somewhat connected.

One important distinction is between a function and the plot or graph of the function on the plane.

The function is an abstract mathematical object, sometimes written like f(x) = x^2+x+6, together with the domain of the function (say, x is a real number).

The graph of a function is just one of the possible representations of a function. It's a curve or set of points of the plane, and the points are denoted by P(x,y) or simply by the pair (x,y).

Some things can only be done on functions, some others only on the plane with the graph of a function, for example, finding points and connecting them by lines.
>>
>>369208
The fuck is the comma? Is that multiplication or something?
>>
>>369387
It's a pair of coordinates. The second is y, but the formula to find y instead of just saying "y".
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.