[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been on an other world/isekai light novel/manga kick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Shield01c.jpg (85KB, 539x384px) Image search: [Google]
Shield01c.jpg
85KB, 539x384px
I've been on an other world/isekai light novel/manga kick recently and I'm looking for recommendations.

Specifically, I am looking for a good "hero summoned from another world" story in which the hero outright refuses and wishes to be sent home instead. I've seen a few that come close and have the hero be reluctant or a bad guy -- Shield Hero and Suterareta Yuusha no Eiyuutan, respectively -- but in just about every case I've seen this only happens because the "hero" is treated badly in the new world (betrayal and being considered useless, for example).

I'm looking for a story in which the supposed hero refuses to take the job from the beginning, with the story following the consequences of that choice to the end.

The only one I know of is Summoned Slaughterer, but it's a bit too try-hard edgy for my taste, and the MC is basically just a psycopath/serial killer who likes to have a "reason" for killing.

Can anyone recommend something along those lines?
>>
>>366753
>I'm looking for a story in which the supposed hero refuses to take the job from the beginning, with the story following the consequences of that choice to the end.

well that's the spinal cord of any isekai story.

You could try anything from Jietai GATE through Konosuba to Log Horizon.
>>
>>366771
>well that's the spinal cord of any isekai story
Technically yes, nearly all isekai protagonists are reluctant heroes. But they (almost) always eventually go fight the demon king or what have you, be it through threats or guilt or because they want to save the girl.

I'm looking for one that has a protagonist who says "Fuck no" to the whole process and goes off to do his own thing. Hell, maybe he even tries to join the bad guys to see if they can send him home.
I'm looking for a story in which the protagonist actually makes good on his desire NOT to be used as a hero by people who abducted him without consent and who try to force him to fight to the death against an enemy with whom he has no quarrel.
>>
>>366801
>I'm looking for one that has a protagonist who says "Fuck no" to the whole process and goes off to do his own thing. Hell, maybe he even tries to join the bad guys to see if they can send him home.
>I'm looking for a story in which the protagonist actually makes good on his desire NOT to be used as a hero by people who abducted him without consent and who try to force him to fight to the death against an enemy with whom he has no quarrel.

ok.
>>
>>366801
You mean something like Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru where MC gets imprisioned because he refused to help the hero after being summoned?
>>
>>366861
Looking at the description, that is very, very close to what I'm looking for. It may lean more towards the "he summoners think he's useless" and "goes against summoners due to bad treatment/betrayal" side of things since the MC doesn't look like he was supposed to come, but I'll certainly give it a shot.
It looks quite interesting, so thank you for the recommendation.
>>
>>366871
>>366861
One more thing, would you suggest I read the light novel or the web novel? Apparently they differ.
>>
>>366753
Try Chinese or Korean novels.
In CN/SK isekai novels, there is usually not some entity that wants to make the protagonist do shit; they kinda just wake up, and everything is up to them. Be warned though, they are way more over the top than you might expect. Lots of murder, rape, torture, which gets rationalized because it's the MC comitting it.

In "Great Demon Lord" some guy gets reborn as the lowest slave working at a necromancing school and promises himself to become the biggest Overlord this world has ever seen and take whatever he wants. He then proceeds to do so.

In "Release that witch", an overworked engineer wakes up in the body of a dandy prince in a medieval fantasy. The only magic are a few witches, which get hunted and killed. He has absolutely no powers. However, he studies magic with empiric methods, uses a fire mage to refine better steel for example, and starts the industrial revolution.
The best Japanese Isekai I read was "Kumo desu ga, nai ka?". 1/2
>>
>>366910
A girl gets reborn as a spider in a monster labyrinth. She fucking hates that of course and just tries to stay alive by any means possible. Great novel, try to stay away from bad translations like turbotranslations though, it's disgustingly bad MTL. Blastron has best translations, is a bit slow though.

http://blastron01.tumblr.com/kumoko-contents
>>
>>366753
konusuba
>>
>>366910
>>366912
Neat. And thank you for the advice about the translators. I've only recently branched into light novel territory, so I'm still feeling my way around in regard to versions and such.

>Lots of murder, rape, torture, which gets rationalized because it's the MC comitting it.
Ah, so, Terry Goodkind syndrome. Thanks for the warning.

>>366915
Tried reading it, but found the characters and humour too grating.
Still, I do appreciate the suggestion.
Thanks!
>>
>>366910
Scratch that, it's "Great Demon King", not Demon Lord. Great fun, that one...

Something you might also enjoy is "Everyone else is a returnee".
Some guy always gets left out because others just forget he is there. The ultimate loner. When the apocolypse arrives and angels evacuate everyone to other worlds to learn magic, god forgets him. He is stuck on earth alone (with an angel assistant) for 1000 years and starts reading books, mastering everything there is to master. He really dislikes being toyed with like that, and after the 1000 years, when everyone comes back and monsters come with them... let's say he has his own plans, not in line with what the angels want. He is a very self-aware MC, calling out foreshadowing and trying to avoid them.
It's gud buuk.
>>
File: ddefense_-_header2.png (1MB, 1440x600px) Image search: [Google]
ddefense_-_header2.png
1MB, 1440x600px
Oh, and my absolute favorite, which also has 10/10 translation, Dungeon Defense.
All the characters are mental in some way, and the way they interact, all the cunning and intrigue and assholeness is ridiculously fun.

(Guy plays game, wakes up as dungeon master in the game, broke as fuck, and some annoying cold hearted bitch is there to collect debts from him. Hatred and banter ensues.)
>>
>>366932
Just wanted to add, I really also like this one.
Shame it goes balls to the wall retarded with the MC's edge.
>>
>>366939
How balls are we talking?

'Cause the protag of Summoned Slaughterer literally gets off on killing people. As in, he doesn't have a desire to fuck his slaves because he's been killing people on the regular and is satisfied with that.
He also kills the king who summoned him in the first chapter or two.

Edge can be hilarious.
>>
>>366922
maybe you would like btooom,kaiji or the manga liar game. It's not really what you're looking for but MCs get put into a "world" they didn't want to be part of
>>
>>366944
Not really edge, more like madness. I'd have to spoil a lot to give examples of this. I recommend you read it and judge for yourself, everyone I've rec'd this to loved it or at least enjoyed it.
>>
>>366964
>I'd have to spoil a lot to give examples of this. I recommend you read it and judge for yourself,
I can certainly understand that sentiment and appreciate your not spoiling anything. Those are always among the oddest recommendations to make since you can't back up WHY something is a certainly way.
I'll give it a shot.

>>366947
Danke. I don't usually like competition-based series (Battle Royale, Gantz, Hunger Games, tourney arcs in shounen, etc), but I might give these a quick look through at the very least.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.