[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone reccomend me some "pretentious" anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1503037259586.png (1MB, 1105x792px) Image search: [Google]
1503037259586.png
1MB, 1105x792px
Can someone reccomend me some "pretentious" anime? I am searching to something simmilar to lain, texhnolyze, evangelion, ergo proxy, haibane renmei, ratatami galaxy, angel's egg. Philosophical/psychological thematics will do.
>>
You should learn what the word pretentious means
>>
File: 14COhR2.png (24KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
14COhR2.png
24KB, 512x512px
If I say a given anime isn't pretentious, am I being pretentious?
>>
>>366169
Not really. Most "pretentious anime" isn't inherently pretentious, it's just anime that's frequently watched by pretentious people because they believe it's sufficiently "mature" or "deep" or "cultured" etc that they can pass themselves off as some kind of intellectual for watching it. Truth is there's no such thing as "intellectual" anime really, even the best written anime is still just escapist entertainment at its core, but if pretentious people were smart enough to realize that they wouldn't have to pretend to be smart.
>>
>>366272
Just watch anything made before the year 2000 and you should be fine
>>
>>366144
Utena, Princess Tutu, and Rose of Versailles are personal favorites if you're haven't seen those yet. Look at the rest of Ikuhara, Yuasa, and Satoshi Kon's stuff if you haven't, other than that and the stuff in your image I don't have much. I was in your same boat and moved on to films because I couldn't find much more, Bergman, Tarkovsky, and Bresson get the closest to the themes you're probably looking for. Other than that, this guy is an "anime elitist," watch the stuff he recommends good stuff, though you've probably seen it.
https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=myfavourites&uid=251338
>>
Most of my favorite anime are pretentious
Bokurano, Perfect Blue, Psycho-Pass, and Nekojiru-Sou/Cat Soup are some good shit
but the anime for Bokurano really separated itself from the manga after the first half and lost a lot of it's philosophical and psychological themes after that, so you should probably read the manga instead for that one
>>
Milky Holmes
>>
>>366144
paranoia agent, FLCL,mushishi
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.