[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm very interested in slice of life anime/manga with "unconventional"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

I'm very interested in slice of life anime/manga with "unconventional" settings, especially ones with darker undertones. Off the top of my head, examples would include

>Kino no Tabi
>Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
>Sora no Woto
>Kemono Friends
>Mushishi
>Aria (this one is pretty innocent though)

What are some more like this?
>>
File: a_abe.jpg (457KB, 1233x3005px) Image search: [Google]
a_abe.jpg
457KB, 1233x3005px
>>365253
watamote
house of five leaves (samurai but without action)
uchoten kazoku
hanasaku iroha
hyouka
>>
Planetes
>>
Dainana Joshikai Houkou
Saturn Apartments
>>
>>365253
Haibane Renmei
YKK
>>
Space brothers.
>>
File: insanity will save us all.jpg (773KB, 2221x1025px) Image search: [Google]
insanity will save us all.jpg
773KB, 2221x1025px
>>365253
Kamisama No Inai Nichiyoubi (God Left on a Sunday)
- Series of stories set in a verse where the living and the dead reside in the same world, with all the consequences that entails.

Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World )
- In a strange post apocalyptic land, where everyone has god like powers, and thus everyone is a nuclear bomb waiting to explode, a simplistic society has formed where strict rituals and genetic manipulation are used to ensure no human will ever harm another. This is the tale of children growing up in that society, of the horrors some of these efforts entail, and what happens when they fail.

Sankarea
- Boy obsessed with zombies. Girlfriend becomes zombie. Romantic comedy ensues.

Gakkou Gurashi! (School Live / Live at School Club)
- Four girls are trapped at school after having survived the apocalypse. One has been driven to the point of insanity where she's under the delusion that it never happened and school life is continuing as usual. Oddly, supporting this girl's delusion is the one thing holding the other girl's minds together.

Den-noh Coil
- In a world where most people wear networked glasses that provide an overlay to their world, and the children who have learned to manipulate the system, and have found some odd anomalies as a result.

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea)
- Set in a world where the civilization is split between those who live on land and those who live under the sea, fields of unrequited and misdirected love bloom.
>>
Kuro (Somato)
>>
Ichi-F: A Worker's Graphic Memoir of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant
Tales of a Charcoal Burner

Not dark, but certainly atypical.
>>
Everybody already named the ones I was gonna, so I'll just throw out Centaur no Nayami. It's airing this season, and on the surface seems like a normal fanservicey SoL, but the setting is subtly revealed to be a kind of dystopia. It's just little things at first, like characters making odd remarks about being "reeducated" or noticing how children's shows and books are all politically themed propaganda.
>>
>>365253
tatami galaxy
kyousou giga
>>
>>365307
Good post. Thank you for quick overviews. So much better than """lists""".
>>
>>365442
Do you like it so far?
>>
Milky Holmes
>>
File: 1473879983599.jpg (1MB, 991x768px) Image search: [Google]
1473879983599.jpg
1MB, 991x768px
>>365253
Otoyomegatari

A sweet and comfy Slice-of-Life Romance in Central Asia during the 1860-70s. Award-winning and exquisitely illustrated.

Because of the period in which it is set, the 19th Century Central Asia, the shadows of the Great Game between Imperial Tsardom of Russia and Great Britain looms over them all. The talks of "The Russians are coming" are whispered between clan elders. Western scholars and explorers might be intels, guns channelled clandestinely to the warring tribes.

Also because of the culture of the region it is set, it presents the feels of cultural dissonance to most readers: How the main pair have such age disparity (12 to 20yo), how honour killings is a possibility, how tribal wars for grazing land or honour occurs, how touching an uncovered female hair be used as a surefire marriage trick, how lonely the life of a sheltered' noble wife, how woman in 19th century Iran have to wear the burka, how the life of a widow in the steppes, and many more such things. Even so, the story keep itself cute and sweet, and funny at parts.
>>
>>365253
Not really sure you can count Kemono Friends as an SoL, or claim it has dark undertones. It's an adventure show, and while the setting implies that bad shit may have gone down, the series is very optimistic and upbeat.
>>
>>365546
Not him but I think it's okay. The setting really carries the show as it's far more interesting than the characters themselves and at this point I'm only watching to learn more about it.
>>
yokohama kaidashi kikou

Has unique atmosphere and set in a future where humans are declining. It is hinted at at times that the earth itself went through cataclysmic events leading to the events of the story.

Apart from the setting itself it's a feels good story.
>>
>>365546
It's "okay" so far. I try not to judge shows before they're done, especially unusual ones like this, because you never know when they can take a sharp turn from the expected. Overall I'm not super impressed by it, but I enjoy watching it or I would've taken it off my RSS feed already.

Like I said, I only recommended it cause all the really good shows I would have picked were already listed.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.