[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been always both into anime and western comics so I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

I've been always both into anime and western comics so I want to get a bit more into manga since I haven't read a lot of those. I'm looking for stuff that's similar to what I generally like in anime and comics already:

Favorite anime: End of Evangelion, Angel’s Egg, Kaiba, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Serial Experiments Lain, Casshern Sins, FLCL, Belladonna of Sadness, Tatami Galaxy, Mushishi, Ergo Proxy

Favorite comics: The Maxx, Incal, Scott Pilgrim, Kasta Metabaronów, Vampire Requiem Chevalier, Kill Six Billion Demons, Szninkiel, Saga, Sweet Tooth, V for Vendetta

So in general I would like manga that are not generic and very tropish. But also not something "realistic and subtle", I prefer stuff based on rather weird and unique concepts, something more fantastical, sci-fi (though not in the typical fashion) or even more so surreal. I'm also a sucker for good art and I also like when the style is unique. I don't like the style of most tv anime, or superhero comic books and always go for the more artsy and stylish stuff. I don't have a problem with fanservice, but I just don't like when it's trashy like in your typical ecchi. I in general prefer when it's an adult, sexy lady being seductive/revealing/nude and not a generic anime girl with big eyes flaunting her tits.
>>
>>364650
Anime: Earth Maiden Arjuna and Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin.
Manga: Alice in Borderland.
>>
>>364650
Western: Donald Duck comics by Al Taliaferro. To my best knowledge I have even all the specials. Absolute favourite over everything else. Warner Brothers Wile E. Coyote cartoons comes very close.
Don't get me wrong, I am both Heavy Metal and Metal Hurlant Magazine collector.

Japanese: Ghibli and Toei anime. Sorry to say, but computers have saved anime studios. Which is Great! Most of the work is nowadays made in China regarding the production, but it's still Great!
>>
>>364669
Did you bother to read his post at all?
>I want to get a bit more into manga since I haven't read a lot of those
>So in general I would like manga that are not generic and very tropish. But also not something "realistic and subtle", I prefer stuff based on rather weird and unique concepts, something more fantastical, sci-fi (though not in the typical fashion) or even more so surreal

>>364650
I highly recommend the works of Taiyou Matsumoto, starting with whichever of Tekkonkinkreet, Number Five, or Takemitsu-Zamurai seems most up your alley.
>>
>>364671
>Did you bother to read his post at all?
Yes I did.

I expect some of the teenagers here will post a list of their liking. Hopefully an insightful one.
>>
>>364671
>I highly recommend the works of Taiyou Matsumoto, starting with whichever of Tekkonkinkreet, Number Five, or Takemitsu-Zamurai seems most up your alley.
Thanks, though among the few manga I've read there were his works and I really liked them. Sunny and Gogo Monster as well, liked Takemitsu Zamurai the most though.
>>
Based on that anime list, as I know very little about western comics, you're going to gravitate more into older demographic manga, so seinen and josei titles.
Doesn't look like you'd much appreciate simple fun, I assume that FLCL is there for stylistic reasons (or propping the credibility of your taste), so these are save for a couple of exceptions thematically heavier. All should fit your desire for weirdness, fantastical, or scifi.

Dorohedoro
Pluto, Billy Bat
Blame!, Biomega, Knights of Sidonia, Abara
Nausicaä
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Bokurano, Narutaru
Witches, kaiju no kodomo
Waters
Ultra Heaven
Gon
Homunculus
Uzumaki
Warau Kyuuketsuki, other Maruo manga (ero guro mostly but amazing art)
Battle Angel Alita
Akira
Berserk
Eden
Voynich Hotel

There's a few to consider for starters.
As a closing advise I'd say that while everyone obviously has their preferences, I urge you not to limit yourself. One of the strengths of manga is how it handles the more mundane as opposed to how western comic tradition does it. Experiment.
>>
>>364684
To elaborate, as far as demographic goes, these are pretty much all seinen, as josei releases do not tend to go for the outlandish much.
Then again, demographic in manga isn't written in stone.
The four have their own conventions and stuff, but things overlap, as do the readerships.
>>
>>364684
>Doesn't look like you'd much appreciate simple fun
I do like stylish fun. FLCL and Tatami Galaxy are examples of those. But I also really like all the over the top anime made by Gainax and Trigger: Gunbuster and Diebuster, Abenobashi TTGL, Kill la KIll, Inferno Cop, LWA. Also some of the more artsy Bones shows like Mob Psycho 100 or Space Dandy. On top of this lost of the Madhouse stuff like Vampire Hunter D, Redline, Black Lagoon, Trigun which are all just "cool action anime".

It's just that the "dumb fun" stuff I like still has to be unique, stylish and cool looking. I even enjoyed something like HotD (though not as much as the stuff above) because the visual designs stood out from most ecchi and it had some pretty inventive action scenes and good looking animation.

>All should fit your desire for weirdness, fantastical, or scifi.
Thanks for the list. Some manga I live are alread on there like Nausicaa, Blame or Dorohedoro, so I'll be sure to check out the rest.

>One of the strengths of manga is how it handles the more mundane as opposed to how western comic tradition does it.
Actually there are quite a bit of those in western comic books as well. One of the most well regarded "graphic novel" authors is Craig Thomspon who's directorial debut was about his first love and experience being raised in a religious evangelical family. There are lots of authors who work with more realistic, down to day stories.
>>
File: oyasumipunpun.jpg (16KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
oyasumipunpun.jpg
16KB, 300x168px
Oyasumi Punpun is pretty interesting and sounds like what you're looking for, very surreal and wacky parts and good art, but it does have some of those "realitic and subtle" bits you're trying to avoid.
>>
>>364760
Thanks, but I have read it. Loved it though.
>>
File: hox chart.jpg (2MB, 1490x5757px) Image search: [Google]
hox chart.jpg
2MB, 1490x5757px
Read stuff by Koike Keiichi. Also check out Hox's old and new recommendation lists:
http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/p/manga-recommendations.html
>>
Read everything by Douman Seiman (sometimes written as Sayman Dowman). My personal favorite by him is Voynitch Hotel, but everything he's done is weird and interesting. Also pretty short, usually 1 - 3 volumes.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGIG8UvdGs
>>
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=8428
>>
File: No 5 intro.jpg (958KB, 2350x1217px) Image search: [Google]
No 5 intro.jpg
958KB, 2350x1217px
>>364650
>Incal
You might just enjoy Taiyo Matsumoto's work, like No. 5 and Gogo Monster. Also, check out the anime Nausicaa and Dragon's Heaven.

Also, Dennou Coil.
>>
>>364958
Seen and read all the stuff you've mentioned and liked them all.
>>
The World Is Mine
Ichi the Killer
>>
>>364989
And you've seen all Rene Laloux stuff? Ralph Bakshi? Feherlofia?
>>
>>365517
Yup, not that much of a fan of Ralph Bakshi and Laloux? I mean I wish I liked Laloux films more, because art design wise they're really cool but narratively just not that interesting. Feherlofia on the other hand I love and is my favorite non-japanes animated movie of all time.
>>
>>365520
>Feherlofia on the other hand I love and is my favorite non-japanes animated movie of all time.
Quality fucking taste right there anon. Then you've probably also seen Boy and the World and the old Sanrio movies, Metamorphosis, Yosei Florence and Unico.
>>
>>365525
>Boy and the World
Seen it.
>old Sanrio movies
Actually no. Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to google.
>>
>>365525
>>365527
Oh and if you've got some anime that are that obscure and have unique visuals that I'll gladly take some recommendations of those as well.
>>
>>365527
>Actually no. Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to google.

>and the old Sanrio movies: Metamorphosis, Yosei Florence and Unico.

>>365531
Don't think I've got anything that you wouldn't know. Surely you've heard of California Crisis. Burning Blood is probably not all that unique, but Kasei Yakyoku is finally getting subbed and it's looking damn mighty fine.
>>
>>365636
>Kasei Yakyoku
>Burning Bloood
Didn't know those either. But I did watch California Crisis.

My MAL name is Pacal_II so if you wouldn't mind can you check what I haven't seen yet?
>>
>>365659
You've watched 1000 anime and only rated 240 of them? And your ratings end at 7? I'm not working through 1000 anime. If you are really eager to discover, it's going to be easiert to work through MAL's season lists.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/1980/winter
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-07-29-04h02m20s603.png (268KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-07-29-04h02m20s603.png
268KB, 720x544px
>>364650
TRIGUN
R
I
G
U
N

The manga is equally as good as the show.
>>
Cleary you need Spaceship Sagittarius.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAzxgi5rsQ
>>
>>365936
For a long time I didn't have ratings. Recently I gave ratings, but only to the anime I really cared about and weren't just stuff I watched and didn't leave any impact on me.

You also don't have to look through everything I've seen. MAL has the feature where you compare lists and can see only the shows you've seen but I haven't. If you don't want then would you mind giving me your username then I can do it myself?
>>
>>366110
I'm Chaostrooper. You'll find the most stuff on my PTW list. I'm got at finding, not much at watching.
>>
File: 2083292-spiff.png (321KB, 400x334px) Image search: [Google]
2083292-spiff.png
321KB, 400x334px
Instead of posting a new thread, I thought I would just join in this one.

I am looking for decent to excellent COMPLETED manga. I don't like waiting for releases/translations and dealing with shit that gets dropped.

Instead of listing what I like, I would appreciate if you just listed what you like. Bonus points for off-the-wall stuff like Voynich Hotel.
>>
>>366338
http://archive.nyafuu.org/wsr/thread/275914/
>>
>>366340

Muchas gracias
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.