[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /wsr/, what do you think is this shit? https://www.youtu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Hey /wsr/, what do you think is this shit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaNA_PNrhI8
I have the exact same card an issue - started a year ago, after I'd turn on PC in a still cold room it would do the fan spinning thing once and go back to normal, then it got worse and fan sped up and down constantly in GPU idle state, so I used Asus' GPU Tweak tool to ramp up RPM to +10 and the issue went away. A week ago it started doing this shit even at 50% of max RPM.
Tried older nVidia drivers, didn't change a thing. Uninstalled drivers, problem stopped. In BIOS and safe mode it's okay. Reinstalled Windows, the problem persisted. As soon as any kind of nvidia drivers are installed the fan goes nuts.
The only thing I haven't tried is physically removing the card from the mobo slot and changing thermal paste.
>>
When you install drivers you're install nvidias control panel which is controlling the fans, open nvidias control panel and see if you can find anything for performance and set it to something other than max performance. or look for an option about the fan profile, I would be more specific but i'm not home right now
>>
>>361346
Nvidia control panel has nothing on controlling GPU. I think the drivers are telling GPU that its second fan is supposed to work but since whatever mechanical failure it fails to spin up properly or something. Or maybe not, I'm not sure.
>>
>>361101
temps?
setting a custom curve in afterburner solves the issue?
is it normal for one fan to spin and the other stay still for this model?
did it try display driver uninstaller?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (281KB, 1086x1719px)
Untitled.jpg
281KB, 1086x1719px
>>361374
>temps?
Maximum is ~70 under heavy load in games, I don't think anything's changed in that regard since before the problem
>setting a custom curve in afterburner solves the issue?
Not afterburner but I did try setting up custom curve in Asus's app, GPU ignores it
>is it normal for one fan to spin and the other stay still for this model?
As far as I know it's the feature for the second fan to stay idle when the card's temps are low
>did it try display driver uninstaller?
I did, even reinstalled Windows, as I wrote.

Under heavy load it performs as usual. But as the temps go lower it gets more and more unstable, starting with slow wind ups and slow downs and then going full nuclear at one point. I'm also curious about GPU and memory clock spikes that coincede with fan's noise.
>>
>>361381
Btw these clock spikes are not consistent in their relationship to fan's noise spikes and only occur sometimes.
>>
>>361381
so those spikes happen while the gpu is on idle?
can you try a different program like afterburner for the fan curve?
remove that asus app from startup if you have it.
Do you know if the card has mutliple temps sensors like the ICX from evga?
>>
File: Untitled.png (42KB, 364x821px)
Untitled.png
42KB, 364x821px
And this is how it looks at idle temp and auto fan speed. For 7-10 seconds fans read as dead 0 while the noise from the first fan (that is actually running) grows and then second fan kicks in, and spins a bit on inertia before coming to a stop in a few second and the cycle begins anew.
>>
>>361389
They start happening as the temps go lower. Used to happen at idle ~30 degrees, now I get these unstable wind ups at about 35 degrees.

Will try afterburner.

>Do you know if the card has mutliple temps sensors like the ICX from evga?
I don't know, it might.
>>
>>361394
noticed it's OCed as fuck, 1500mhz against 1000mhz standard.
IDK if maxwell likes it, but I'd try downclocking around 1200mhz, maybe some shit is unstable
>>
>>361389
Yeah, tried afterburner, doesn't matter, the issue completely ignores any fan control.
>>
>>361402
As you can see on the right the clock is set to default 1291, untouched as I never dibbled into overclocking stuff. These readings above that point on the graph are some weird spikes.
>>
>>361407
did you try to reseat the card? checked the fans connectors?
>>
>>361408
Neither, only checked that PCIe are secure (I've no idea what I'm doing). I can't see the fan connectors from the outside, is there supposed to be something else going into card other that these PCIe power cables? (yeah, I'm not tech savvy). I'd try reseating the card but I doubt it'd do anything.
I don't know, maybe the second fan is faulty and the card has 2 temp sensors and freaks out when the fan doesn't kick in... although it shouldn't, at idle temps.
Also why the hell does it show like the fan has stopped every time this shit happens if it's taking readings from the first fan which never stops? Mystery.
>>
>>361101
Fan's stalling.

What does it do if you hit it with something whilst it's doing that? What does it do if you push the blades around?

- starts working when you whack the heatsink: busted fan wire not supplying power

- starts working when you give it a push i the right direction: broken fan bearings causing it to seize, broken fan sensor wire causing card to not notice its fan is stopped
>>
>>361455
It never occured to me to try these things. Thanks, will try tomorrow, but in either case it's looking that I'll have to retort to calling in the repairs because I don't know how and don't want to meddle with the hardware. And it'll reaffirm my current conclusion that it's a hardware issue. Could the fan hit its own wires and wear it down over time? Although it still does spin up...
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.