[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some works that center around exploring a dilapidated,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

What are some works that center around exploring a dilapidated, out-of-fashion, sacred feeling place that though far away from its peak popularity, still operates with a crew/population of weary people open to visitors or strangers? Something where it feels like the reader/viewer is one of the last guests the place will see. Intrigue and history in every nook and cranny, but with an air of sadness and death overhanging the entire area. The place is foreign, interesting, and oozing personality, like the feeling of exploring a new library on a slow foggy day and finding a lost, tattered, and unlabeled diary tucked away on one of the shelves. It could be a town, a mansion, a castle, a store, an apartment, a country, an island, a zoo, etc.

Spirited Away is too lively-- the bath house is extremely busy and lively. Laputa Castle in the Sky is too dead-- Laputa itself is nothing but ruins with no one left to tell its stories. It's important to me that there are some people inhabiting this place. The opening bits of The Grand Budapest Hotel (pictured) are close to what I'd like, but most of the film is spent when the place is at its peak.

Any medium is okay. I would think books and video games would be best suited. The former can take its time exploring details and the solitary quiet act of reading would emulate the feeling of being one of the few souls in the place the book revolves around. The latter would let the player explore at their pace and as they like, though as with most games it might come off as too artificial. You talk to someone twice to see if they have anything more to say and they just repeat their dialogue, that sort of thing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something like this?
>>
>>359795
<
>>
>>359795
Bastion and Transistor are each set in an apocalypse, with the former focusing on rebuilding the world and the latter on the world's last hurrah
Supergiant's latest release, Pyre, follows a group of exiles, so it doesn't really fit
speaking of world's last hurrah, the Dark Souls franchise has that going for it
>>
>>359816
Meh, those are like, "Go to a cool place, then all you do is fight and fight," and if you try to look carefully at something, there will be no detail to speak of-- everything is just a chunk of level that exists to be a space for fighting.
>>
Also curious about this. Thank you for describing this feeling, anon. As for examples, some of the underground spaces in Morrowind gave me this feeling, the ones out in the middle of nowhere only inhabited by a small amount of bandits with unique names, who unfortunately have nothing to say or provide to the environment, since they are aggressive and you'll just have to kill them. Oblivion might have had some small towns with the purpose of only a single small quest.
>>
>>359795
Kemono Friends is pretty much what you described.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.