[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /wsr/, a few days ago I noticed both external drives I use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 61OQNN8uh2L._SL1500_.jpg (70KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61OQNN8uh2L._SL1500_.jpg
70KB, 1500x1500px
Hi /wsr/, a few days ago I noticed both external drives I use to store data no longer show up. Both drives are Western Digital My Book Essential, around 5 years old. One is 3tb and the other is 1tb. While trying to repair the 3tb I noticed the 1tb started working again after a few days of not being plugged to electricity. However the 3tb I'm still having issues to reappear when plugged in. For recovery I removed the drive from its small board and plugged it in directly to my PC. Then tried running programs I found to recover the lost partition. However I'm still not able to make the drive reappear. Only major change I have done was set the drive to GPT under Windows disk manager.

Currently the 3tb drive just reads the partition is unallocated. I know the files are still there since I ran EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and I can view all my files and extract them. However I still want to just make the drive appear again were I can access the files like before.How do I get the drive to appear with all my files?

I currently just have the drive unplugged to see if draining it from power might help, since this doesn't hurt trying out. In the worst case scenario I'm prepared to copy all the files and upload them to a cloud service, meanwhile I get a new drive.

And if its any helpful information the drives used in these are WD Green drives.
>>
>>356316
are you sure it isn't your cable, the port on your pc, or the port on the device? have you tried plugging the drive into a different pc or a console or something?
>>
File: 24729a.jpg (344KB, 1285x1177px) Image search: [Google]
24729a.jpg
344KB, 1285x1177px
>>356330
>>356330
Yes, I've tried switching around cables and even the boards these come with. All the files stored are not corrupt or damage. It would just take me a while to back all these files to a cloud service. I would rather just make the unallocated partition reappear.

I haven't tried reading the drive on a second computer or a different OS. I'm going to probably try that after I drain this drive for a day. To be honest, this doesn't sound like it should work. But I rather try the easiest method first before trying something that may not allow me to access the files again.

I think the solution may have to involve some sort of rebuild of whatever is corrupt that prevents the drive to be read. However I have no clue.

Really just looking if anyone has seen this sort of issue and knows what to do. Must be a common issue with these drives if it occurred with both drives at the same time.

Also forgot to mention the OS I have these external drives attached to is Windows 10. I have access to a second computer with Arch Linux/Windows 7 installed.
>>
>>356346
it sounds like you just need to reinstall the driver or use a different version of your driver. did you uninstall the drivers in device manager and let it autodetect/plug n play install? after that i would check the manufacturer's driver page. i'd also wonder if it's a compatibility issue with w10, i hear nothing but horror stories for that os. i'd boot it on the w7 device or try w10 in safe mode and reinstall the drivers.
>>
>>356348
>It sounds like you just need to reinstall the driver or use a different version of your driver.
I don't think so, I'm able to view the 1tb drive I have again. However the one I still have issues with is the one with 3tb. But I will see if that fixes any issues.
>>
>>356348
>I'd also wonder if it's a compatibility issue with w10, i hear nothing but horror stories for that os. i'd boot it on the w7 device or try w10 in safe mode and reinstall the drivers.

I'll probably try that later tomorrow. I'm going to see if draining it works first. Since I think that's what fixed the 1tb drive. I didnt have to mess with the 1tb drive. I just had it sitting around unplugged from its board for a few days.
>>
>>356367
Forgot to mention, I made 100% sure the 1tb couldn't be read before I opened the drive. However I left it sitting around unplugged without its board attach for a while. I did this while trying to fix the 3tb drive.
>>
So, I ended up fixing my problem. I'll post what I did in case if someone else that owns one of these experiences the same issues. Also at no time mess with any settings under Windows disk manager. Or take out the drive from its enclosure. Since this can be done without doing that.

I just reset the drive with the board attached. I hold down the boards button until it turned off , then I turn it back on. Drive still doesn't reappear and its still says data is unallocated under disk manager. However now I'm able to see the lost partition when I use MiniTool Partition Wizard. Before I was not able to do this. So, I just recovered the lost partition and assigned the drive a letter. Drive is now back to normal.

I think this problem has to deal with the boards these come with. I think if anything is going to crap out first it's the board.
>>
>>356316
>Only change is I overwrote the partition table
Why the fuck did you do that?
>>
>>356628
It was GPT to begin with before the partition became unallocated. When I enter windows disk manager it asks me what do I want the drive to be set as, it gives GPT and MBR as an option. I assumed by choosing one of those options it would have fixed the drive. If I'm asking help on this board I obviously have no clue what I'm doing. Like stated was looking for someone that has seen this before and found a quick repair. I've read similar situations however they never found a solution to the problem.

Glad I found a solution to my own problem instead of dealing with stupid responses on this board that are not helpful. Also like stated in the last post I no longer need help.
>>
>>356651
So to help you in the future:

It's generally a really bad idea to make changes to the only copy you have of data you want to see again.

Asking Windows to rewrite the partition table definitely counts.

There are two GPT tables: one at the start of the disk, and one at the end. You can very quickly and simply restore one from the other, so long as no-one has done something like, for example, asking Windows to overwrite both of them with blank ones.

If you're in this situation again, make a disk image first, so that when you do something stupid, you can just restore it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.