[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for someone who speaks Latin - I want to name an organization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: Terminologica.jpg (37KB, 550x283px) Image search: [Google]
Terminologica.jpg
37KB, 550x283px
Looking for someone who speaks Latin -

I want to name an organization in Latin, I want it to be called "The Real Shepherds" ("The" is not necessary). How would you translate "Real" in that sense? Would it be "verum"?

Thanks in advance,

- Doc
>>
>>351306
I think "verum pastoris" would be the best possible translation (even though that would translate in a literal sense to "true shepards").
>>
>>351322
No it wouldn't, because Latin doesn't have definite articles, so any translation, literal or not, has to put them in from context.
>>
File: image.jpg (169KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169KB, 1280x720px
>>351322
I assume you meant "pastores", as "pastoris" is genetive singular?
And "vera", as "verum" is nominative singular?
And to stick the adjective behind the noun, because that's where it normally goes?

>>351306
As well as "pastores vera", you could also have "ipsa pastores", if you wanted "real" in the sense of "real slim shady".
>>
man i remember when i used to see latin in my class

it sucked
>>
File: verum doge.jpg (89KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
verum doge.jpg
89KB, 600x600px
>>351322
>>351338
>>351341

Thanks Anonymous, I think verus is the word I'm looking for. Though, "verum" is the adverb - would that be more appropriate and why?

I'm trying to denote "real, actual, authentic", as if there were fake Shepherds and one group was trying to stand out.
>>
>>351834
Latin words are "conjugated", meaning the bits on the end change depending on which part of speech they're being used as.

Adjectives, in particular, need to "agree" with the noun they're being used with, i.e. be conjugated into the same tense.

"Vera", "verum" and "verus" are all conjugated forms of the same adjective (as well as a bunch of other things probably; like English, Latin has some words that are spelled the same but are different words), though "vera" is correctly conjugated to go with "pastores".
>>
>>351894

When would you use verum or verus? Could you provide examples so I may better understand?
>>
>>351916
Not that anon, but, with nouns with other genders/suffixes.

Fabula vera is a true story, while a vir vere Romanus is a true Roman (man).

This goes for all adjectives.
Puella pulchra would be a beautiful girl, while an oppidum pulchrum is a beautiful city.
>>
>>351916
"Verum" is the nominative (marking as the subject) neuter singular, so you could use it in "mercator verum" to get "the real merchant".

"verus" is nominative masculine singular, so similarly "servus verus", "the real slave".

But "verum" is also accusative singular for masculine and neuter, so you can have "canis pastor verum morsicat", "the dog bites the true shepherd", or "canes pastor verum morsibant", "the dogs were biting the true shepherd".

As you can see, it's the same word each time, but the endings tell you what role it plays in the sentence, so you can't just pick the ending you like the sound of.
>>
Good dictionaries will give you examples for each adjective, in my case mine gave me:

verus [amicus; margaritae; periculum]

amicus verus is a true friend (male)
periculum verum is a true disaster (neutrum/no gender)
>>
>>351935
But anon, isn't mercator male?
>>
>>351945
Not only is it not male, but it's literally the textbook example for conjugating neuter nouns that end in "or".
>>
Thanks a lot everybody, I find new languages quite difficult and these comments do help some.
>>
File: merc.jpg (51KB, 573x324px) Image search: [Google]
merc.jpg
51KB, 573x324px
>>351948
Seems pretty masculine to me, anon. And it is literally the the textbook example for "honestus" in my case.

The -um in the picture is a plural genitive form, the dealer of drugs.
>>
>>351971
It says it right there in your screenie: 3rd declension.
>>
>>351975
It also says it's male, four times. I think we were both partially wrong.
>>
>>351979
I'll take that. I should have been careful not to confuse conjugation-gender and gender-gender, particularly in a thread for beginners.
>>
If I learn to speak Latin fluently can I join the Illuminati?
>>
File: External Occipital Protuberance.jpg (12KB, 582x215px) Image search: [Google]
External Occipital Protuberance.jpg
12KB, 582x215px
>>
>>351894
>conjugated
Verbs have conjugations and are conjugated, nouns and adjectives have declensions and are "declined".
>>
>>352338
Fuck off. It's a generic term from linguistics, not something latin has a monopoly on.
>>
Could someone give an example of a declension?
>>
>>352341
I'm referring to English usage - conjugate refers to verbs, decline to nouns and adjectives. And given how you confused 3rd declension with the neuter gender, you should probably hold off on trying to give lessons in Latin or English for the near future.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 240x240px
>>352344
Fuck off, Mr Logic, they're generic terms from linguistics.

>Oh, but, er, but, using the correct name for something is really important
Fuck off, Mr Logic.
>>
File: OP.png (169KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
OP.png
169KB, 500x732px
>>
>>351981
Good thing using incorrect terminology doesn't cause you any problems, right?
>>352346
>I should have been careful not to confuse conjugation-gender and gender-gender, particularly in a thread for beginners.
Might as well just call them thingies and doohickeys, it'll be easier for you.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 240x210px
>>352351
You might not have noticed this, having no theory of mind, but you can and should use casual language when explaining things to rank beginners, unless you want to waste everyone's time explaining what terms no-one cares about mean.

See >>352342. (it's just a pedantic word for 'conjugation', BTW).

This is why we have words like "thing" and "thingie": to facilitate communication without getting bogged down on pedantic crap that isn't relevant to the question and that no-one cares about.
>>
>>352354

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetwdpsiM8Q
>>
Pastor is masculine. It should be Pastores Veri, not "vera".
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.