[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /wsr/. I received my new cpu(phenom 1090>fx 8370) today,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: 05-os-tan.w529.h352.jpg (48KB, 529x352px) Image search: [Google]
05-os-tan.w529.h352.jpg
48KB, 529x352px
Hi /wsr/. I received my new cpu(phenom 1090>fx 8370) today, i tried to see if it launched w/o reinstalling windows but it didnt (bsod).

So my question is, what are a the solution to install a clean W7 w/o loosing my data (all my external hdd are full) ?

I thought about making a new partition and install the clean W7 on it but i dont know if you can fuse the new partition and the old one together.
>>
File: 1453057986170.jpg (388KB, 1803x1351px) Image search: [Google]
1453057986170.jpg
388KB, 1803x1351px
bump
>>
>>349823
Setting aside the fact that you seem to have a dangerously poor understanding of things, in broad terms, you could do this:

>Burn a linux live DVD/USB.
>Boot into linux.
>>At this point, if you can find software to access/copy files from your Windows partition in linux, you could fork here as follows:
>>[Get your shit back from the Windows partition; back up to external storage.]
>>[Boot from a W7 DVD and install W7.]
>>[Done.]
>>If not, continue:
>Find partition manager software for linux.
>Reduce your (BSODing/broken?) Windows partition as much as possible.
>Boot from a W7 DVD and install W7 into the newly created free space, creating a new W7 partition in the process.
>Boot into your new W7 and get your shit back from the old Windows partition.
>Delete the old partition.
>Extend the new partition to take up the entire disk.
>>
>>350005
Thank you Anon i'll try that !

> you seem to have a dangerously poor understanding of things
About what exactly, tell me i dont want to make mistakes please

>Boot into your new W7 and get your shit back from the old Windows partition.
I never did a dual boot before, when i have new W7 does the computer gives me the choice to choose which partition i want to boot on automatically or i have to do something before in the bios ?

Thanks for all mate.
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 799x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 799x600px
>>350005
You don't have to do any of that shit. Leave here, or at least stop giving terrible advice.

>Boot a Windows 7 DVD
>Press shift-f10
>At this point, if you want your data copied to external storage, you can do so using the command prompt
>don't do any of that retarded shit with partition tools
>Install windows on "custom (advanced)" to the drive your broken Windows is on
>Your disk now has a new Windows on it, and all your old stuff is in \Windows.old . You didn't have to delete anything, partition anything, or use Linux to work on Windows.
>>
>>349823
Did you also change your motherboard?

If so, https://www.wintips.org/how-to-replace-motherboard-without-re-installing-windows/

If not, there might be a problem with your new CPU. It's very unusual indeed for Windows to crash just because the processor has changed. If you're using your old motherboard, does its BIOS have an update to correctly microcode your new processor, and have you applied said?
>>
>>350027
Fuck you, you leave. It's sound advice if his OS is fubared i.e. beyond saving as windows.old
>>
>>350031
No i just got a new cpu. I know when you get a new mb you need to reinstall windows. Also i read that you dont have to reinstill if its only the cpu but i get BSOD when i do it. The cpu seems to work correctly, i can get access to windows safe mode (i dont get BSOD on it) and i see it in the UEFI bios. My bios is up to date tho.

>>350027
But i dont have space to safe everything on the my external storage Anon.
I think that's why i told me to do it that way.
My current windows works well it's just that i need a fresh installation because of the new cpu.

When it does the windows.old does it have all my data on it then?
>>
>>350064
Yeah, but it's not, is it?

There is no bootsector virus, there is no filesystem corruption. There is absolutely no reason to believe the filesystem is not usable, so it is shit advice.
>>
>>350070
It has all your data in there, but it's not a working Windows.

Just like if you bought a new disk and installed Windows on that, then kept your old disk.

I still think your best solution is to fix your BSOD, not to install a new Windows.
>>
>>350075
>>350076
OP stated he didn't have space, hence my 'shit' advice about partitions, asshole.
>>
>>350076
>I still think your best solution is to fix your BSOD, not to install a new Windows.
I tried to do a windows repair to see if windows can load the good drivers for the new cpu but i get bsod while doing it if i only use the repair from the windows installed and when i use the repair from the windows DVD it finds nothing.
>>
>>350079
Well then where's he going to put these partitions then? Outer space?

If there's space to carve another partition out of, there space to just install Windows without fucking with the partition for absolutely no reason.

Either there's enough space to install Windows or there isn't. Partitioning a drive doesn't magically make space appear from nowhere.
>>
>>350080
Yeah, this isn't the kind of problem automatic repair can fix.

CPUs don't have drivers, so if it's bluescreening it's going to be something not directly related to your CPU that doesn't like your new CPU but does like your old one.

Are you using onboard graphics? That's the only thing I can think of that lives in the CPU socket and needs a driver. If you are, then Display Driver Uninstaller might be able to help you.
>>
Why do you even want Windows?
Consider GNU/Linux as your daily driver.
>>
>>350083
>Well then where's he going to put these partitions then? Outer space?
heh
>>
>>350087
how about for gaming and not memeing
>>
File: !.jpg (157KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
!.jpg
157KB, 1920x1080px
OP here, well things have changed.

I was on my way to install a fresh w7 on a new partition i made by deleting some animes (fugg) i remembered about where i got my ram...

It was from my friend who got an fx 8350 and 16go of ddr3 Ballistix sport. He had to change them because the ram was causing bsod all the times and he left them to me.

I was using the ram for 5 months now with my phenom ii 1090 and i never got a BSOD.
Now with the 8370 it seems like i have the same problem. I tried my older ddr3(10go) on the system with the FX and it boots without bsod, i could even play.

I know shits about ram but it seems like the ballistic sport (bls8g3d1609ds1s00) 1600mhz cant run with a FX without modifying the frequency or something...

I wish it was all but will playing noticed im experiencing thermal throttling with the FX. I have a silky smooth 60fps on all the games i tested then the cpu starts to heat and i get BIG slow down with framerate jumping from 60 to 30 every 10-15s.

That shit is at 60-70c apparently when im playing. I currently own a cooler master tx3 (not even evo, the old one). the air flux is completely crap in my pc, i have a no-name case, no additional fan for the case and the gpu and its backplate burning (sapphire nitro rx390x).
The amd house fire meme is real.
>>
>>350366
Just to check, you're applying your thermal paste correctly?

Heatpipe direct coolers don't use the blob-in-the-middle-then-squash technique.
>>
>>350366
1090 doesn't officially support 1600, so it was probably running it at 1333. Your first and most obvious step would seem to be to set the RAM speed to 1333 instead of 1600, and see if that fixes it.
>>
>>350371
Well i can already say that the application wasnt optimal.
first i used the shitty no name thermal paste from the chinese guy of aliexpress who sent me the cpu and since i switched multiple times the cpu, there is not much left on the FX. Also i have no more thermal paste at home.

>>350373
That's what i dont understand. I used them on the 1090 and never touched anything in bios about the frequency but it worked perfectly. Should i retry the ballistix on the FX and put the frequency at 1333 to see if it works ? Also the FX doesnt support 1600 mhz ?
>>
>>350384
FX is officially rated up to 1866, no?
>>
>>350384
You have to fill in the gaps between the pipes first.

Not because they transport a lot of heat, but because if you don't, then when you fit the cooler all the paste goes into the gaps instead of spreading properly.

https://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=61&limit=1&limitstart=5
>>
>>350407
Didnt know about the gap thing, always applied the paste directly on the cupe. Thanks !
>>
>>350237
GNU/Linux has tons of games. This isn't 2007 anymore. Get a new argument.
>>
>>350789
He means games from now. He just upgraded his processor, so something newer than Tux Racer.
>>
>>350792
wow fucking epic argument bro
http://store.steampowered.com/linux
https://www.gog.com/games##system=lin_mint,lin_ubuntu
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI

lel look at all these tux racer clones
loonix can't do anything!!
Wine doesn't exist!!
KVM doesn't exist!!

your arguments are as old as your mentality, 12 years.
>>
>>350799
>Wine
So you're saying OP should replace his OS, which he already owns and has paid for, then emulate the OS he originally had anyway?

This seems a very roundabout route to square one.

if there's some benefit to this rigmarole, you're not really articulating it.
>>
>>350818
You fucking idiot. Wine literally stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Why are you even posting if you know nothing about the topic?
>>
>>350818
Also if you ever actually paid for a copy a Windows then you should really kys immediately
>>
File: 4L_0w5Js5Ya.jpg (36KB, 581x222px) Image search: [Google]
4L_0w5Js5Ya.jpg
36KB, 581x222px
>>350904
You should maybe break out a dictionary.

I know very well it's emulating an ABI, not a computer.

Maybe you didn't? It certainly seems like you skimmed the name without understanding what it meant. It's like you didn't realise it was riffing on GNU and LAME, or that it's a backronym from "WINdows Emulator".

You've still not explained why replacing Windows with a reverse-engineered emulation of Windows is a good idea. It sounds a lot like it's not.

It sounds like having to use all the sortof-working stuff on GNU/Apple/Redhat/Google/Linux every day is activating your almonds.
>>
File: 1435865952246.gif (518KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1435865952246.gif
518KB, 500x281px
OP here, i managed to run the fx 8370 with the ballistix ram without bsod by lowering the frequency to 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz. (same timings)

I dont understand why at 1333mhz i always get bsod, i tried to put the voltage at 1.51 then 1.65 but same result. I someone know why...

Now i have fix the throttleling issue. ill try to get some thermal paste tomorrow.
I diseabled the amd turbo thing and all the other shit (cool n quiet etc...) to see if i could make the cpu heat less but while playing i still reach 60° or more.
When the cpu exceeds 60° you can see the multiplier going from x20 to x7 from 1 or 2 seconds(then the temps go back to 59-60°) this is when i get the slow down in game.

I really wonder if the cooler master tx3 is enough for this cpu. I will have get the paste first to know that.

Also there is something weird with the monitoring systems. For me the temps on SPECCy seems to be correct but on Asrock extreme tuner and some others they always show higher temps.
For exemple, right now idling on speccy and afterburner i have 44°, on AXtu and occt i have 65°/149f .
For the motherboard temps they are the same everywhere (the gpu too)
Why ?

>>350087
>>350789
I barely know how to use linux and want to play recent games (i dont think origin's games are on it)
Do you loose performances when you use things like Wine ?
>>
>(all my external hdd are full)
>>350005
>back up to external storage
>>350027
>data copied to external storage
RIP OP data
>>
>>350935
>at 1666MHz I always get BSOD
>same timings
Timings are in terms of clocks, so 20 clocks at 1666 is less actual physical time than 20 clocks at 1333.
Your RAM is saying it can get the data ready in 20/1,666,000,000 of a second, but actually it can't, so wrong data and BSOD.

TX3 is sufficient for your CPU, according to its spec sheet. When you take it out, maybe see if you can clean any crap out of it. An unfortunate thing about AMD is that a lot of their chips throttle 20-40 degrees earlier than Intel, so if your ambient temperature is high, then maybe the TX3 won't be enough to keep it below AMD's lower throttle temperature.

You want Cool'n'Quiet on: it's AMD's version of Speedstep, and reduces heat by dropping the clock and core voltage when the core's not loaded.
>>
File: 1429214800652.gif (1MB, 464x544px) Image search: [Google]
1429214800652.gif
1MB, 464x544px
Got some paste today, i apparently im at 50° on full (occt or gaming).
Need to do more testing tomorrow to see if i dont get throttling again.

>>351077
I dont really get what you said about the ram. i put my ram at 1333. Its still at 9-9-9-24 in the bios . At wich timing i should try on 1600mhz ?
>>
>>351448
9-9-9-24 at 1333 is the same as 12-12-12-30 at 1666.

But it might not be the timings; the RAM might simply not be able to transfer at 1666.
>>
File: 4L_gmki4iDt.png (245KB, 900x827px) Image search: [Google]
4L_gmki4iDt.png
245KB, 900x827px
>>351448
Also good job, OP.

You fixed everything.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.