[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime with top tier stories and some good action? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: 1475919321596.jpg (193KB, 757x1054px) Image search: [Google]
1475919321596.jpg
193KB, 757x1054px
Anime with top tier stories and some good action? I don't mind even if the action is little, I really just need a good story. Sick and tired of SoL and moeshit. I don't mind if it hasn't been wrapped up, but seriously, I just want something to get hype for.

I just got done watching pic related for the 7th time and I really love it's story, character growth and motivation, conflicts and above all, the MC. I tried NGE but I can't stand Shinji's voice. Bebop I found straight boring. Anything left?
>>
>>348402
trigun
samurai champloo
cowboy bebop
rurouni kenshin tsuiokuhen ovas
planetes
ninja scroll
neon genesis evangelion + endofevangelion
gurren lagann
ping pong the animation
>>
Don't expect to find something better than Code Geass, cause it does not exist.

You would probably enjoy Shingeki no Kyojin (in case you didn't see it already), it has great action but most of all a great story.

If you want the best action even with a common story, but with the most epicness in anime watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
>>
>>348410
Thanks for the list Anon, but I honestly just don't like Bebop. Is NGE worth another shot? Shinji's voice makes me want to end myself.

>>348411
Actually, I got done with Shingeki no Kyojin a few days ago and that's why I made the post. Absolutely loved it and realised there's very few stuff that has great story and great action. I'll give TTGL a try, but I think I've been spoiled a while back, so idk if it's worth watching.
>>
TTGL can be spoiled and still worth, but not sure if it's what you are looking for, it's just epicness made anime xD

There are not many animes with great stories relating politics, wars and that stuff, I would also like to find some that excite me as Code Geass did, but I think that there's not too much on recent years appart from SnK.

NGE is hard to see xD you can love it and hate it, if you want to give it a try do it thinking that you are watching a totally clasic anime, that was revolutionary on his days and inspired more animes after it, included Code Geass (specially the ''mystical part'' when the emperor wants to make everyone 1 single person, you could get a better view of that part watching NGE).
>>
Probably is talking about obvious, but who knows, did you also watch Death Note?
>>
LOTGH

Epic intergalactic war between a republic and a monarchy. It's like Code Geass except no superpowers/super mechas and more focus on politics
>>
>>348415
Zankyou no Terror?
>>
>>348417
Not OP but Death Note is a fucking joke.
Everything is so conveniently served to the characters not on a silver but on a golden fucking platter it was almost absurd.
>>
>>348417
>>348625
OP here, I disliked Death Note, so yeah.

>>348615
How much more politics? Because whilst I don't mind less action, I don't really want it to be Talking:The Anime.
>>
>>348402
If you liked Code Geass, why don't you try Gundam? It has the same mixture of mechs, action, and politics. It's also done by the same studio, so you should expect it to be of similar quality at least. I recommend Gundam 00 for something more modern. It's story is inspired by modern politics and the main characters have a similar "rebel" role to that of the ones in Code Geass. If you can get past some low budget animation at times you should try the original, it has great action and a well thought out story. It will also allow you to get into the Universal Century timeline, which is where many of the better series take place. Either way, I think you'll enjoy it.

Also how far did you get in Cowboy Bebop? For some people it takes a while to get going.
>>
>>348658
Gundam looks cool and I've always wanted to get into it, but I never have any idea where to start. I've seen a lot of images decribing timelines and shit, so at this point Idk what's doing on. Where should I start? 00 looks promising, but is it a continuation of a previous?
>>
>top tier stories with good action

Doesnt exist.
>>
File: 1493583885133.jpg (3MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
1493583885133.jpg
3MB, 2800x3402px
>>348661
>Gundam looks cool and I've always wanted to get into it, but I never have any idea where to start.
I'm happy to hear that, it's always nice to see people take an interest in the series. As far different timelines, there are only two classifications you need to worry about. Universal Century (UC) and Alternate Universe (AU).
The series in the UC timeline are all interconnected. The main series in this timeline are Mobile Suit Gundam, then Zeta Gundam, then Double Zeta Gundam, and then finally the movie Char's Counter Attack. There's a lot more material in this setting, but those 3 series and a movie will be enough to watch the rest in any order you choose.
Alternate Universe series are exactly what they sound like. They take place in their own timeline with no connection to the Universal Century timeline. Each AU series can be watched on their own in any order. Some examples would be Gundam 00, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, and the recent Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans.
As far as where to start, like I said, you can either start at the beginning of the UC timeline with the original gundam series (or the three compilation movies) or you can pick an AU series that interests you. 00 Gundam is an excellent choice for your first series. The mech designs are great (just look up gundam exia) and the fights are fast paced. The setting is well thought out and easy to get into. It doesn't require any prior knowledge of the franchise but there will be some references here and there.
If you want more information, here's a chart with most series listed and summarized.
>>
>>348661
Start with Gundam Build Fighters. It has plastic toy robot fight clubs, a plastic toy robot mafia, and a plastic toy robot Interpol.

The world somehow gets endangered by plastic toy robots, but that's okay because plastic toy robots end up saving the world.

There's a sequel but it's shit.
>>
File: Denan_gei.jpg (230KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
Denan_gei.jpg
230KB, 500x663px
>>348700
>start with build fighters
Unless you're a huge custom robo fan, I wouldn't recommend this. The series is basically a celebration of the franchise and you wouldn't get all of the references. It is a good series, but it should be saved for later. Unless you want a lighthearted tournament series, of course.
>>
>>348628
The start is a bit slow but once it picks up in pretty much every episode a lot of stuff happens. There isn't a lot of typical action but a lot of intense moments. If you don't enjoy it by the 20th episode then you should drop it I think. Also start with the movies first.
>>
>>348412
trust me TTGL got spoiled for me too and I avoided watching it for the longest time, but when I ended up watching it I really liked it
>>
>>348696
>>348700
>>348702
>>348748
>>348750
Gonna look into all of these then. Will definitely watch Gundam and TTLG. Thanks a lot Anons!
>>
>>348702
Can confirm that it works perfectly if you've never seen a gundam and don't know what a char or a gyan even is.

It may well have references, but it doesn't use them as a crutch.
>>
OP here. Thanks for the replies. Last question, any stuff similar to Shingeki no Kyojin? Love the characters, story and development.
>>
>>349105
>any stuff similar to Shingeki no Kyojin? Love the characters, story and development.
Can you be a little bit more specific about what you loved about the characters and story?
>>
>>349131
The story is interesting, and not cliche. The MC isn't OP, but he isn't a weakling either. He improves as he goes along and I can actually see it. The development of how they can focus on different characters and show their backstories is interesting too.

I found Koutetsujou no Kabaneri to be similar and I just started watching it.
>>
>>349136
>The MC isn't OP, but he isn't a weakling either. He improves as he goes along and I can actually see it. The development of how they can focus on different characters and show their backstories is interesting too.
What about Hunter X Hunter then? The main characters all improve, but are never the strongest in the series. Instead they each have their own goals that they go after instead of saving the world by themselves. The plot is also pretty different from most shounen series and the focus is split well enough between the different characters.

>>349136
>I found Koutetsujou no Kabaneri to be similar and I just started watching it.
Yeah, it's pretty similar to SnK, so I think you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>348402
Monster probably has one of the better stories out there and some top tier supporting cast.
Although it has a somewhat confusing ending but the whole ride is pretty dope.
>>
File: Aldnoah Zero.jpg (4MB, 2952x1748px) Image search: [Google]
Aldnoah Zero.jpg
4MB, 2952x1748px
>>348402
Action:
Attack on Titan (bit obvious)
Parasyte The Maxim (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu)
Tokyo Ghoul
Gundam: Thunderbolt
Ajin
Drifters
Terra Formars
Baccano!
Knights of Sidonia (Goes to hell 2nd season)
Fate/Zero
Gantz
Ga-Rei-Zero
Hamatora
Heavy Object
High School of the Dead (ecchi though)
Jormungand (Maybe not, if you found Bebop "boring")
Kill La Kill (also ecchi)
M3: Dark Metal
Phantom: Requiem for Phantom
Psycho-Pass

In the vein of Code Geass:
Aldnoah Zero
Guilty Crown
The Irregular at Magic High School
Legend Of The Legendary Heroes (Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu - not to be confused with Legend of Galactic Heroes)
(Guess you didn't like Death Note though)
>>
File: IMG_6957.jpg (214KB, 2013x1129px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6957.jpg
214KB, 2013x1129px
Alarm ga Kill

All time favorite anime about assassins and a corrupt government. Could not recommend it more
>>
>>349217
Akame not alarm, sorry
>>
File: 43399.jpg (36KB, 225x318px) Image search: [Google]
43399.jpg
36KB, 225x318px
Psycho Pass
>>
>>349217
>global rule 2
>>
Pretty solid recommendations in this thread. I have slight bias foundness for oldschool OVAs and movies, but I'll try give you some variety with a decent story and action

3x3 eyes
Kite
Ajin (3D animation is a little jaring but if you can stomach it it's pretty enjoyable)
Armitage III (I prefer the original OVA, but the movie compilation is alright to)
Heroic Legend of Arslan (original OVA is fantastic until the last 2 episodes. TV series might worth checking out to)
Berserk TV has pretty poor animation, but overall a great introduction to the franchise
Black Jack OVA and Movie (No idea about any of the tv series)
Black Lagoon
Bubblegum Crisis
Durarara!!
Fullmetal Alchemist. (Either series honestly, but Brotherhood has a more complete story overall.)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Gunslinger Girl
Eden of the East
Now and Then, Here and There(depressing as fuck so be prepared for that)
Record of Lodoss War (OVA only TV series is garbage)
Macross plus
Megazone 23 Part 1 and 2
Michiko and Hatchin
Roujin Z
Robot Carnival
Neo Tokyo
Sword of the Stranger
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
>>
>>348402
Watch Initial D. the races are hype as fuck while staying within the realm of realism, it has memorable characters, and while it isn't "action" per-se, races give of the same intensity you get from an anime fight
>>
Samurai Champloo/Dragonball/Boku no Hero Acadamia are all really good if you want an anime that is always moving.
Not really the deepest stories though.
>>
>>348410
is this a copypasta list?
>>
File: 3643675.png (551KB, 1022x1094px) Image search: [Google]
3643675.png
551KB, 1022x1094px
Go with the Aquarion trilogy, OP
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.