[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you use different branded rechargeable batteries in a charger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 61NaEfeRnIL._SL1200_.jpg (125KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61NaEfeRnIL._SL1200_.jpg
125KB, 1200x1200px
Can you use different branded rechargeable batteries in a charger or do they make is so a charger only works with their brand?
>>
>>347986

Batteries don't contain chips like printer carts often do and have to fulfil standards so if they have the same voltage and are the same type it should not be a problem, the charger has no way of knowing what brand of batteries are in it, so it will start its normal program if it is more sophisticated or just connect voltage to them.
>>
>>347990
That's good thank you
>>
>>347990
Do you reckon some rechargebles accept mor coulon/time (sry, im german and I don't know if current is the right word) than others?
>>
>>348006
It's "capacity".

Yes, that's why they have different numbers on them.

Batteries you get from eBay lie about the capacity they have, so do batteries from dollar stores. They'll happily write a number twice as big as the real batteries have, when their real capacity isn't even half.

Batteries from camera shops don't. For the UK, 7dayshop is good for batteries; maybe they'll ship to you or you'll have something similar.
>>
>>348011
Sry, didn't mean the amount of electrons, but the Ampere it takes per hour.
>>
>>348006

That's alright, I am too.
Ladung? In English that would be "charge".
Or do you mean the Millamperestunden? That would be the capacity.
Some have more than others but that is not really relevant for chargers, you see the charger registers the battery being full by its resistance, when that happens is not relevant, batteries with more capacity will just take longer until this has been reached.
>>
>>348019
Ok, either I'm dumb or I can't speak english. The AC of the receptacle gets transformed into DC, the voltage gets toned down and the charger has an in-build resistance so that nothing will blow up. Does this resistance differ? In the case there are different charging speeds for same capacity, you could not use any charger for every battery, right?
>>
>>348024

The charger does not doe much more than provide a voltage at the pins, the battery has a resistance and via U=RI --> I=U/R the Amperes (einfache Stromstärke) come from that. If a max I is reached the charger cannot provide anymore. A normal charger cannot even be damaged by short circuiting the contacts, and R varies in a wide amount in a battery anyway, the small differences between batteries of different brands but same type and voltage won't affect the charger in the slightest.
>>
>>348018
>>348024
>>348030
There's only a few types of chemical reaction inside a battery. Intelligent chargers detect what chemical the battery uses by seeing how it reacts to current, then charge it the fastest way that chemistry can be charged.

The charger can tell how charged the battery is by not charging it and measuring the voltage the battery creates. If it's fully charged, the voltage will be high, say 1.2V. If it's flat, the voltage might be 0.9V.

A common way to fast-charge NiMH is to apply a constant current (by measuring the current and varying the voltage) for most of the charge period, then a constant voltage slow when the battery is nearly full. So the charger might do this:

*you put in battery*
- charger detects it's a NiMH by giving it a quick burst of high voltage and seeing if it gets a high current: if the battery's internal resistance goes way up and prevents a high current, it's NiCd not NiMH.
- charger varies the voltage (V) so that the current (I) is 400mA, occasionally turning the supply off so it can measure the battery voltage
- When the battery is resting at 1.195 V, i.e. nearly charged, the charger holds the supply voltage at 1.200V, and now the battery's internal reaction determines how much energy goes in. The battery slowly rises to 1.200V, and can be safely kept in the charger keep it fully charged.
>>
Sry, I'm so dumb, you can only give voltage , nut current.
>>
>>348037
No, because that's not how it works.

You know V=IR, right?

Well R is determined by the battery, so to make I always 400mA, the charger needs to change V as R changes.

The reason it doesn't blow up is the charger is clever.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.