[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know any good guides for game development for recent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: qwerty.gif (41KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
qwerty.gif
41KB, 480x269px
Does anyone know any good guides for game development for recent C++? I know I should be asking /g/ but they'll just send me video links to pajeets with no real knowledge. Help an anon out please.
>>
Nothing? Nothing reliable?
>>
>>345416
I hope you mean "Lua".

Most places buy in a C++ engine, get some jobbers to click the legos together, then do most of what you'd think of as "development" in Lua and HLSL.

Another very popular option nowadays is C#, which lets you make a game that looks like it should be on a SNES, yet it somehow needs eight cores and eight gigabytes.
>>
File: 1497927970224.jpg (164KB, 539x600px) Image search: [Google]
1497927970224.jpg
164KB, 539x600px
Is Lua useful for Game Development and if so, what are some good guides? I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, I just need a decent guide to get me started on GD.
>>
>>345791
You can also make Java games, or Python games. C++ is just what most of the industry uses.
>>
Anyway I would recommend Michael Dawson's books, he has one for C++ and one for Python. See if you can find a torrent for it.
>>
Yeah, I'm learning Python and soon Pygame, but I'm only doing it to understand the concept of programming and get a general idea, as I plan to take C++ more seriously. But that still leaves my question unanswered, can you reccomend me any guides/books for GD on C++?
>>
>>345797
GD or just general, and is it recent as in C++14 or something?
>>
>>345416
I advise you to begin to read c++ books
What books?
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

After this practical experience was more important than books, so start to write games more and more complex. You can write yours games with 2D lib like SFML.

Example : Tic tac toe (with AI), Pacman (AI, collision, bonus...), network games, ...
After the creation of every games, post your code in a forum to receive criticisms.
Well on, you can also be inspired by the code of others thanks to websites like https://www.github.com
>>
So, then are these books any good?
-Effective C++ 2014 by Scott Meyers
-Anything by Michael Dawson
These are the only two that seem decent what do you think?
>>
>>345791
Lua is used because it's really easy to embed the Lua runtime inside your otherwise-native game.

Your tools can then do a bunch of static analysis, which is a huge help in testing: "formally prove that it's never impossible to complete the mission", etc.

In addition, code running in the Lua runtime can't fuck up things outside its sandbox, so shorter testing cycles, easier parallel development, and less problems shipping code inside DLC.

Lua ends up getting used for the bulk of what most people would consider the actual game, because testing changes Lua is cheaper and quicker than in C/C++ code, and quicker testing directly benefits overheads and time-to-market.
>>
>>345416
Death road to canada.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.