[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've finally gotten fed up with how shit W10 is with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: cable.jpg (229KB, 1131x1500px) Image search: [Google]
cable.jpg
229KB, 1131x1500px
So I've finally gotten fed up with how shit W10 is with wifi and decided to buy an ethernet cable that can reach from downstairs. The problem is a lot of the cables on amazon have reviews that are either saying "Shit cable I bent it a little bit and my grandma died of an aneurysm" or "This cable made all my dreams come true" (Obviously exaggerated). Any advice on what to look out for in terms of specs? I'm aiming for around 50m just to be safe and I'm from Northern Ireland
>Thanks in advance
>>
I think you can get pure cable with no endings and attach them yourself with the correct tools, might wanna look into that
>>
>>345133
That's a pretty good idea, worth looking into. Thanks
>>
My household ether cable is 10 meters from downstairs to my room. I drilled a 16mm hole through the ceiling to get it there. Now it is neatly out of the way and practically hidden in the corner of the room.

The cable marking says
>UTP 26AWGx4P CAT 5E PATCH CORD TEST TO EIA/TIA 568B

This one doesn't seem to attenuate the signal at 10 meters. I am in believe that normal duty device ethernet cables start to do that if they are longer than 20 meters, that is, the attenuation may start to show up.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 230x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 230x300px
>>345133
>>345135
Don't do that. The cable you buy like that is solid-core and is for connecting sockets to sockets. You can put ends on it, but it isn't really designed to do that, and using it as a cable will bend it, which it doesn't like, and end up breaking it.

If you're doing a 50m cable run, do it properly with boxes, RJ45 plates and cable clips. It's not that much more, and it'll look a hell of a lot more professional and last a lot longer.

You'll need:
50m of solid-core CAT5E or CAT6
Two plastic boxes, either the cut-into-the-wall type or the screw-onto-the-skirting-board type
Cable clips
Two CAT5E/CAT6 faceplates
A punchdown tool
Two 1m network cables from poundland or similar

Simply fit the boxes to the wall, run the cable between them, strip a few inches off the end, and punch it down into the connectors on the faceplate. Try to keep the wires twisted together as far up as you can, don't cut individual wires to length, and don't try to use a screwdriver instead of a punchdown tool (you can get plastic ones for a few pounds).

The order of the wires is important (the computers talk along pairs of them and these pairs need to be twisted together). Specifically, note that most faceplates DO NOT have the connectors in the same order as the plugs. This is confusing, but it's to keep the wires the same length.
>>
>>345132
Ew, don't use long Ethernet cables. Get an Ethernet pass-through adapter. You plug one end in a power outlet near the router, you plug the other end in a power outlet near your PC, you hook both of them up with standard, short Ethernet cables. They apparently pass the signal through your the power lines in your house. I haven't used one myself but I looked at them quite a bit when I had a similar issue. Eventually I realized it was cheaper and quicker to just move the PC next to the router.

Don't know if they work with whatever power system you have in Ireland, but if it works the way I think (sends data through ground + neutral lines?) then it should
>>
>>345136
CAT5 is fine up to 300feet (105m), after which the length of the wire approaches the length of the bits and it starts acting like an inductor.

So long as you use the correct cable rating (CAT5/CAT5e/CAT6/CAT6a) for the speed you're trying to use, you don't need to worry about any length shorter than 100m.
>>
>>345142
All powerline is is wifi, but using your mains wiring instead of the air.

There's no advantage to powerline over modern wifi: it should be cheaper at any given speed, but because wifi is so much more popular, it isn't.
>>
>>345144
(I'm the anon you answered to) Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>345147
well even if it is just wifi, that would fix OP's issue since he thinks the problem is windows 10's wifi handling. If we move the wifi to a separate box designed solely to do so, then win10 isn't handling it
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 600x258px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 600x258px
>>345132
>obviously exaggerated
You've clearly not seen the Denon Dedicated Link Cable.

http://amzn.com/B000I1X6PM
>>
>>345142
>>345147
I've used those before and they stopped working randomly, I really don't wanna spend a lot of money (read: poor as fuck) but if I can find a cheap one then it could be an option.
>>345140
Sorry but I'm going to trigger you by saying I only know what some of those things mean. I'm a welder by trade and enjoy building pc's but that's the extent of my knowledge unfortunately
>>
>>345150
Why would anyone pay this much?
>inb4 for the dollar saving
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 450x450px
>>345151
Do you have a friend that's a joiner?

It's exactly the same job as running a telephone cable, just you use different wires and different sockets.
>>
>>345157
Ah ok, that might just work I have plenty of joiner friends.

Thanks for all the solid replies guys, not usually how I experience /r/ boards lol
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.