[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you guys know how to set up an accelerometer like in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2407.png (467KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2407.png
467KB, 640x1136px
Do any of you guys know how to set up an accelerometer like in pic related? I intend to to use it to measure the acceleration of a model rocket.

I have no experience with using microcontrollers or anything like that.
>>
>>343790
You'll need a hobby board to connect it to, and to find or write a driver for it.

Either way you'll be writing some C or C++ to use it.
>>
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mma8451-accelerometer-breakout?view=all
>>
>>343790
What type of g force do you expect? This is only usable to +-8g
>>
>>344034
You can work this out.

Representative model rocket: Estes Commanche 3 upper stage
Unladen mass = 70g = 0.07 kg
Laden mass = 85g = 0.085 kg
Peak thrust = 15N

f=ma; a=f/m

a=15/0.085 = 176m/s^2 = 176/9.81G = 18G
>>
>>343790
How about taking a look at this.
http://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/arduino-5-minute-tutorials-lesson-7-accelerometers-gyros-imus-3634

Arduino has quite a lot of support out there. Sometimes very specific too.
>>
File: IMG_2408.png (244KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2408.png
244KB, 640x1136px
>>344039
Would it be better to use a force sensor in terms of cost and effectiveness? Accelerometers that measure above 16gs cost more and more, so I'm wondering if pic related could do the job of measuring the thrust of the rocket.
>>
>>344056
Theoretically yes. You could use it to plot an event under a known mass and then isolating the acceleration curve from that.

However in practice, calibrating it at first would be an interesting task. Every scale needs to be calibrated to show proper values.
>>
>>344060
What about using an ordinary digital scale to measure thrust? Is that a viable alternative?
>>
>>344095
You still need to calibrate it beforehand in some reliable, accurate and repeatable manner. Remember, acceleration is by default a non-linear event. You need to get the force sensor respond accurately at every point within the range of measurement.

Secondly, you still need to build a data collector around it, either onboard or via RF link between the rocket and ground control.
>The most affordable vs most supported is arguably Arduino solution.

Thirdly, you still need to separately compute the acceleration curve out of the data, either during the data collection phase or afterwards point by point.
>>
>>343790
You're going to need a MCU, I recommend getting an Arduino
>>
>>344095
Why would I need tp calibrate a digital scale? Couldn't I just get some kind pf camera setup to record the readings on it?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.