[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I had no idea building a new PC and trying to use my previous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: seagate_desktop_hdd.jpg (2MB, 3900x2196px) Image search: [Google]
seagate_desktop_hdd.jpg
2MB, 3900x2196px
So I had no idea building a new PC and trying to use my previous HDD's would cause problems involving blue screen. I have two HDD's and a clean SSD. Can I simply install the OS fresh onto the SSD and then wipe it from the Hard drive or are both drives now lost?

On that note, am I gonna need a new activation key for the OS as well?
>>
>>341739
You listened to that idiot in the other thread, didn't you.

Just set the driver of the storage controller that runs the disk to "generic <whatever> controller", and if necessary boot off install media and bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd . Once windows boots, it'll install drivers for everything automatically, provided it has a driver for a network card that can access the Internet. You still need to find drivers for hardware it doesn't know about, just like if you clean installed.

If you don't want to keep your Windows install, just boot from install media and choose "clean install". It'll move your old windows into c:\Windows.old .

In either case, if Windows came with your computer, it's not transferrable from that computer. You need to buy a new license or pirate it.
>>
I get bluescreen within 10 seconds of booting. I can get to the bios, nothing further
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 900x900px
>>341795
https://www.wintips.org/how-to-replace-motherboard-without-re-installing-windows/
>>
>>341795
disable ahci and use ide mode instead, once inside windows open
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci
registry entry, set the
>start
value to 0 (zero), reboot into bios, set ahci again and boot normally
>>
>>341831
You shouldn't disable AHCI just to get Windows to boot. You're talking a throughput loss of ~10% and a massive loss of IOPS and a massive increase in IO latency if you disable AHCI, because disabling AHCI means no NCQ, which modern hard disks depend upon for performance. SSHDs, in particular, are eviscerated by disabling NCQ, because no reordering means one hard disk read can stall dozens of SSD reads.

Do like it says in >>341800, set it to AHCI, boot the installer and disable all the drivers using regedit, to force it to reinstall the correct AHCI driver.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.