[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /wsr/, I'm completely clueless as do what my new laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_8686.jpg (656KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8686.jpg
656KB, 2048x1536px
Hey /wsr/,

I'm completely clueless as do what my new laptop can do in terms of gaming (never used a Mac before). Could anyone here advise me in terms of what my MacBook Pro (pic related) can handle without overheating?

Emulated roms (gba, snes, n64, GameCube, dreamcast, ps1 or even ps2)?
2d games off of steam (undertale, hotline Miami?)
The Fallout series - especially new vegas?

Really appreciate any help!
>>
>>341425
>Iris 6100
You should have no problem with any 2D game, and no problem with any 3D game that got a 360/PS3 release. Expect to be able to play PS4-era 3D games at 20-30fps with everything turned down.
>>
>>341467
Thanks very much for the reply.
Any idea about emulation?
Would you recommend playing on it over my desktop with a nvidia 640gt and 8gb ram?
>>
>>341469
You don't mention what processor your desktop has, but your graphics card puts it in the 2012 Sandy Bridge era, so unless your desktop was very expensive, you should expect similar-to-better performance from the laptop.
>>
>>341474
Appreciate your reply.
I don't have the processor information on hand and don't know it off by heart - but your estimation outs it at around the right time period.

Have you any experience with running windows games on a mac? I've heard of wine and boot camp but am unsure as to whether it would be beneficial to try.
>>
>>341481
Not on OSX.

A mac is just a PC, though. Boot Camp simplifies the process of installing Windows and dual-booting, but there's no magic to it. Windows will run just fine on a Mac without it, and you can boot Windows directly from UEFI without ever touching Boot Camp. It's just there to make things simpler.

You don't even have to have OSX; Windows is quite happy being the only OS on your Mac. Bit of a waste of the price of the OSX license though.
>>
>>341493
Oh - I had no idea. I always thought you had to use bootcamp. I've my old windows 7 installation disk with keys that I'm also running on my desktop. Should I use that on my mac or follow a guide that recommends boot camp and windows 10?

Thank you for all your help, by the way.
>>
>>341469
I highly doubt any of those computers can play PS2 era games. Anything N64/PS1 and below should, in theory, work fine.
>>
>>341500
7's EFI support is finicky (I've never managed to get it to EFI boot off a USB, for example). Definitely use BootCamp with 7.

8 and later were designed for UEFI PCs, so installing them native is pretty painless.

All this said, the only real objection to bootcamp is that it does a bunch of weird things to emulate a PC BIOS, when the OS doesn't actually need a PC BIOS and can boot straight from EFI. None of this really matters once it's booted.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.