[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming newbie here. I'm learning C, so far I have been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: 1408313256484.gif (487KB, 180x115px) Image search: [Google]
1408313256484.gif
487KB, 180x115px
Programming newbie here. I'm learning C, so far I have been using an IDE but from what I understand pro programmers use a separated text editor, compiler and debugger.
So my question is what is: What is a good text editor for coding, a good C compiler and a good C debugger?
>>
>>330483
You understand wrong.

If those things were the best way of doing it, no-one would have made an IDE in the first place.
>>
as >>330485 already said. there is no point in separating the tools if you find an IDE that works for you. Some are better than others of course.

That being said, if you are just gonna look over something in a file, its more convenient to just open it with sublime or notepad++
>>
>>330485
>>330492
Oh...
Then what is a good IDE for C?
>>
>>330483
the ultimate text editor is vim (+25 years old), here's a harvard seminar about vim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pksX5m8D1B4

sublime text, emacs (linux) and nano (linux) are also pretty good.

a lot of people use notepad++ but the others have too many advantages and plugins that notepad++ doesn't have.
>>
>>330494
Im currently using Visual Studio Code.
I havent used it with C, but its easy to install plugins, and it has an integrated powershell console
>>
>>330494
It doesn't really work like that. "C" isn't just "C", there are lots of different incompatible dialects, and the platform you're targetting dictates your C dialect and toolchain (compiler, linker, standard library, debugger), which in turn dictates your IDE.

For example, if you're targetting windows, that means MSVCC, which in turn means Visual Studio. If you're targetting Linux, GCC dictates Eclipse. Mac, Apple LLVM, Xcode. And so on.

If you're not targetting a platform, and are just doing this to learn programming, for the love of god don't start with C: learn a high-level language like JavaScript or Python, then once you can program, learn a low-level language like C. Trying to learn procedural programming and manual memory management and static typing and unsafe pointers at the same time, when you could learn them one at a time, is going to be frustrating and ineffective.

In programming, you don't learn nearly as much from failure as you do from success; the two hours you spent trying to make a C program not segfault doesn't teach you anything compared to the minute in which you actually fix it. If you start with a higher-level language, you'll spend more time succeeding and learning, and less time flailing around not learning anything.

I reckon most people can learn Python then C in the time it takes to get from zero to writing C programs that manage memory and pointers correctly.
>>
>>330483
>so far I have been using an IDE but from what I understand pro programmers use a separated text editor

You've been listening to /g/ too much. There is no point in using crap that's stuck in the 1980s like emacs or vim.

>Look how smart I am
>I doing things the hard way that take way more effort and time to accomplish for the same results
>all you have to do is memorize thousands and thousands of keybinds
>sometimes it saves me like half a second
>but usually it costs me half a minute when I fuck up
>>
>>330536
You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>330543
No u
>>
File: 1480479622549.gif (2MB, 320x218px) Image search: [Google]
1480479622549.gif
2MB, 320x218px
>>330536
I'm targeting windows but I'm still too new to tell C dialects apart.
But after reading the rest of your post I'm very concerned and I should really give a simpler language a try.

>>330540
I know /g/ is shit and that mentality of overly complicated UXs is something i wish to combat

>>330543
Explain why
>>
>>330483
C is the language
it doesn't come with an IDE, compiler or debugger
Pro coders use whatever they see fit
I suggest you to continue using the IDE if it is more convenient for you and continue learning the language instead of dealing with nonsense
>>
File: 132147532382.gif (42KB, 129x111px) Image search: [Google]
132147532382.gif
42KB, 129x111px
>>330483
Text editor: Vim
Compiler: gcc
Debugger: cgdb

Also use a GNU/Linux distro, Devuan is what I advice. And read this https://pastebin.com/SRZakc07
>>
>>330577
yeah unlock your inner autist
>>
>>330579
once OP reads the contents of the pastebin your argument will become invalid
>>
>>330581
>once OP reads the contents of the pastebin your argument will become invalid
he will realize you are a frog poster but it will be too late
>>
>>330583
quit trolling, are you even a programmer?
>>
>>330586
>>330583
>>330581
>>330579
None of you 'programmers' appear to understand capitalisation.
>>
>>330588
Because they are the same person...
>>
>>330588
sorry2lazy
>>
>>330594
Silly copy paste coders. If you are too lazy to type probably you should choose another profession.
>>
>>330598
k
>>
File: 1496195667870.gif (2MB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1496195667870.gif
2MB, 500x379px
>>330577
I tried using Vim but the first time I tried typing and nothing happened, I imagined I had to do some config before even typing so I called bullshit and moved to something else.

The stuff on the pastebin looks good but I'm unsure about continuing with C as my first language.
>>
File: beard10.png (338KB, 503x436px) Image search: [Google]
beard10.png
338KB, 503x436px
>>330673
If you really want to use vim in the terminal type "vimtutor" and follow the tutorial, is very friendly. Then watch these videos (in this same order) and ignore the titles, they are going to help you immensely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlR5gYd6um0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TX3kV3TICU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM

As for learning C, like everything else, is a personal choice. Whatever you choose I advise you focus on one language and stick to it no matter what.

Have faith and work hard, you will only fail if you quit and that means you won't fail. Ask for advise to other programmers and read a lot of code from others.
>>
>>330721
Thanks, I will watch those videos and experiment with vim, I may not quit if this comes out right since my biggest issue with C right now is that I type a program from R&K, it compiles but crashes when I run it and I can't debug it properly on the IDE I'm using.
Still what >>330536 said made me very concerned and I do feel is truth that I won't learn much from my mistakes and that I'll learn more from a high level language and maybe I may have stuff to show off sooner.
>>
>>330764
If you are worried then learn Bash scripting. You are going to get that fast, use what you learn early as not getting bored and the principles behind are the base for more.
>>
>>330483
If you barely know how to program so far, you probably shouldn't bother with Vim, gcc and gdb (the only valid answers to your question.) Take things one step at a time. Once you're comfortable with programming, learn vim, learn how to write a makefile. If you don't know how to touch type, vim will be useless to you. Learn that first.
>>
Pro programmers usually are educated. Guess you should focus on that first.
>>
File: 1314513034590.png (15KB, 202x243px) Image search: [Google]
1314513034590.png
15KB, 202x243px
>>331150
I been thinking the opposite of this, I think I will be faring better if I familiarized myself with programmer's way of thinking, working and programming tools and standards before continuing with actual code.
>>
>>331312
stop bikeshedding
>>
>>331312
It will help if you do some actual writing, so go and use what you already know.
>>
>>331312
Seriously, try Python.

Click this https://www.codecademy.com/courses/introduction-to-python-6WeG3/0/1 and it'll take you to a python course that you can just do, right now, this second.

Every time you click "save and continue", your code is uploaded to a Python environment inside a VM, so you don't have to install anything or commit to anything; you can just get on with learning.

If you want to try writing your own python stuff to do whatever, there's http://repl.it/ , which gives you your own VM instance to do what you like with, and you can share code like with pastebin, except your recipients can then run it too.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.