[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For some reason when torrenting to my external HDD it'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: cat.jpg (66KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
66KB, 550x412px
For some reason when torrenting to my external HDD it'll disconnect and other usb connected items will as well. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
>>
File: cat.jpg (41KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
41KB, 640x853px
So far it hasn't happened while transferring other items to and from the HDD and it isn't caused by the other connected devices either.
>>
Could be it's not getting enough power? Disconnect all other usb devices and try again.
>>
>>326153
I'll bump for this, I do exactly what OP does with 2 or 3 USB devices at a time without a problem. Then again I have a desktop.
>>
File: cat.jpg (360KB, 656x684px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
360KB, 656x684px
>>326153
It's being powered by a power brick, which could also be the problem, but so far it's only happened while downloading items, oddly enough.

>>326155
I'm using a desktop, too, actually.

Now all of a sudden after finishing the download it won't happen anymore, even with similair downloads(single file downloads seem fine so far).
>>
>>326162
Reverify the torrent. Also try running CrystalDiskInfo to make sure the drive itself is ok.
>>
File: Screenshot.png (468KB, 1376x507px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
468KB, 1376x507px
>>326164
Both Speccy and CrystalDiskInfo don't look bad to me.

Just now when I tried to redownload the torrent it happened again at ~50MB downloaded, after that, while doing fine for a while, other torrents also caused the HDD to reconnect. It isn't caused by a single one it seems.
Could it be because I've a higher download speed now, about 5MB/s, that for some reason the HDD gets disconnected?
>>
>>326182
It could be that it's always been broken, but you only notice when torrenting because torrenting needs the drive to work 100% of the time, whereas just leaving an explorer window open or playing a video only needs it to work long enough to read the data.
>>
>>326182
Just to double-check, you aren't letting your computer go to sleep are you?
Also, make sure you are using a USB 3.0 port if applicable and there aren't any wierd background processes that might be kicking your drive off.
>>
File: Screenshot (132).png (57KB, 807x685px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (132).png
57KB, 807x685px
>>326187
>>326192
Possibly, but this started happening not too long ago, probably when I started using another wifi-dongle (-stick, -USB?).

If I'd let my pc go to sleep it'd probably not wake up due to its age, so there sadly aren't any USB 3.0 ports available.
No suspicious background processes either.

Pic is from a few minutes ago after it reconnected with read at a peak of 7MB/s and write at a peak of 0.5MB/s and after that with write at 2MB/s.
>>
>>326203
If your torrent client has an option to inhibit sleep while torrents are active, enable it.
>>
Also, it doesn't reconnect ALL my USB connected devices, only the HDD and wifi-dongle, as seen in the task manager screenshot. Haven't had the chance to see if it also affects other (storage)devices as it doesn't have a known trigger.

>>326204
The computer won't go to sleep, it's disabled.
>>
File: cat-carry.jpg (67KB, 674x960px) Image search: [Google]
cat-carry.jpg
67KB, 674x960px
>>326204
I'm not 100% sure just yet, but it seems to happen when upload speeds get above .01MB/s.
So that'd probably mean it's the wifi-dongle causing trouble, though drivers are installed.
But because it's as easily fixed as just disabling uploading above 10KB/s, this can be considered solved, thanks for the help I suppose.
>>
Go to power options and make sure hard disk is set to stay on. Pretty sure the default option is to turn off disks that are out of use after 20 minutes so if you never fiddled with it, it could be why
>>
>>326229
It most likely isn't that, as it used to seed overnight without problems, and it shouldn't disconnect my wifi-dongle aswell.
And I'm guessing it's the wifi-dongle that's causing it, as that's the only thing that's changed.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.