[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm on windows 10, and a process called "Service

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

So I'm on windows 10, and a process called "Service Host: Local System" (with a number in brackets at the end, which changes) is absolutely killing my internet speeds. Now, I can simply end the process, and things are fine after, but it's just going to do it again next time I start windows. It'll typically stay at 6.3-6.4 mbps, which is the max speed we can achieve, but it'll also occasionally drop right down to 0.1 or so mbps, and then jump right back up again. I want to know why it's doing what it is, and if it's simply windows downloading updates, or something is actually wrong.

People told me to use process explorer to find what exactly is causing the issue, but as far as I can tell, procexp doesn't show you network usage, so I have no idea. I took a screencap of both task manager and procexp. It's bugging the fuck out of me.
>>
>>321553

svchost allows dlls to be run as executables, you can check the propreties of the specific process and processExplorer will tell you which services this instance of svchost provides, then check your services and disable them and check if it still happens.
>>
>>321574
What exactly do I check in the properties?
>>
File: paint.jpg (55KB, 450x563px) Image search: [Google]
paint.jpg
55KB, 450x563px
>>321575
Right-click process, "Properties". Look under "Services" tab.

Would not surprise me you were smoking Windows Update.
>>
>>321575

There should be a tab "services".
It will list which services this instance runs.
>>
>>321582
>>321583
Okay, so in procexp I found the process that was using all the bandwidth, and I went through the services, stopping them until it stopped downloading whatever, basically. First thing I tried was the windows updater, which did nothing, eventually I got to "Browser optimization", stopping that seems to have fixed the issue. But what was it doing?
>>
>>321585
Sorry, I meant "Delivery Optimization".
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 960x540px
>>321588
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization
>>
File: angrybaby.jpg (36KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
angrybaby.jpg
36KB, 500x358px
>>321582
>>321595
I fucking knew it!

Microsoft is optimizing for its benefit, no yours.
>>
>>321599
>>321595
Problem now is getting it to stop, permanently. Like I said, I have it set to be disabled through the settings, but it's obviously still running.
>>
>>321600

I was about to say disabing it but wasn't one of the 2features" of 10 that services cannot be disabled/ put to manual anymore?
But the page literally tells you how to do it. There is a point
>How do I turn Delivery Optimization off?
right under the explaination what it does!
>>
>>321601
And like I said, I did that, in fact I did it awhile ago, and guess what, it's still downloading.
>>
>>321604
>still downloading
>not uploading
YOU MASSIVE FUCKING IMBECILE.

Do you not think that, just maybe, if you didn't keep killing the windows update process, it would finish downloading updates, install them, and stop?
>>
>>321610
Look, I have no fucking clue whether or not it's download or uploading, it doesn't exactly tell me. I don't really give a damn what it's doing, because it's fucking near impossible to do anything with it running. And yes, I have tried letting it run for days at a time, and guess what, it doesn't finish doing whatever the fuck it's doing, it just keeps on going.
>>
>>321604

So, CAN you manually change the starting type of services to manual or disable them? I am using 7 as my Win so I wouldn't know. I just think I heard that you cannot anymore.
Because if not I don't really know what you could htn still do except completely disabling Windows Update maybe, as it apparently is a part of it?
Other than maybe get a process viewer with an auto-kill function, I know ZoneAlarm had that function back when I used it. Or meaybe you can block internet access for this process in the firewall?
>>
>>321618
I have no idea to be honest. I also noticed that I'm getting error 0x80070020 with update 1703 or whatever the fuck too.
>>
>>321553
Malware bytes, superantispyware, and if results show, use a trial of ESET nod32. Once the viruses are gone you run chkdsk, sfc scannow, CCleaner, and uninstall bloatware from manufacturer. Once this is done you begin stopping services that are not essential in msconfig in services tab. Then move to startup tab and clean that out. Restart and run all updates. That's 225 bucks please.
>>
>>321630
I have no bloatware and I am free of viruses. Are you saying to disable all startup processes or something? I'm not good at this shit.
>>
>>321636

He's saying to disable the offending service. I checked and according to the net yyou in 10 can still manually manage your services, thank goodness.
So either type in services.msc in the Run dialog or go to the services manager via Computer Management or right click on This PC and choosing "manage" then select the Delivery Optimization service and set its starting type to "disabled".
>>
>>321639
Okay. I'll give that a try.
>>
>>321627
Could my issues downloading this update be tied to the delivery optimization issues?
>>
disable p2p windows update uploading outside of lan and either let it finish downloading the updates or install other windows version (since you cant really disable windows update on win10, it will still try to download security ones and reactivate itself every 6 or so months, or at least that was the behavior i got the last time i touched a win10 machine)
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.