[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to anime, what are some recommendations? I've been told

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1485659306154.jpg (99KB, 778x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1485659306154.jpg
99KB, 778x1200px
New to anime, what are some recommendations? I've been told NGE and Bebop, but I just didn't like either of them and I watched 5 episodes. I might give NGE another go, but Bebop just isn't for me. I really don't want ecchi-heavy stuff, but I don't mind the occational joke.

Anime I liked is FMA:Brotherhood, JJBA, Steins Gate, Code Geass, Mob Psycho, Re:Zero. I like action stuff, but above all, I really like a good story. I've heard Dragon ball is good, where should I start for it? Honestly, there are so many series that look good but need like 3 former series and a VN to get into. I want to watch stuff like Gundam, MuvLuv, Macross,

I'd like some manga too. Currently reading JoJo, but I have Tokyo Ghoul and OPM in my backlog. Anything else worth reading?
>>
>>320737
>I like action stuff, but above all, I really like a good story. I've heard Dragon ball is good, where should I start for it

you start with dragonball

recs: samurai champloo, naruto, HxH, attack on titan, akira

manga: the promised neverland, one piece, Hajime no Ippo
>>
>>320745
I heard there were certain parts in Dragonball that weren't canon to a storyline or something. What order should I be watching them in?
>>
>>320737
Try watching Yu Yu Hakusho, Hellsing Ultimate, and Trigun. Three pretty different series. YYH and Trigun are shounen series, like JJBA and FMA, and I think you'll enjoy them based on your enjoyment of those series. Hellsing Ultimate is a bit different. A 10 episode OVA series with episodes averaging about 50 episodes each, adapted from an extremely violent seinen manga. The author is known for his distinct visual style and penchant for injecting strange humor into otherwise very serious and violent stories. It's not the humor or violence that keeps me coming back to Hellsing though, it's the compelling character arcs. I think it's something worth experiencing even if it's pretty different from anything you've seen so far.

>I've heard Dragon ball is good, where should I start for it?
You just watch Dragon Ball (the anime) or you read the manga for it. Both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z are adapted from the same manga (Dragon Ball) but the manga has a time skip in it and the tone changes noticeably after that, which is why they created a separate anime series to adapt that part of the manga and rebranded it as Dragon Ball Z. Then, years later, the animation studio that adapted DBZ decided to do a re-cut of the series to streamline it, since the original for-TV cut had tons of filler episodes and padding in the episodes to drag shit out and fill air time. The new cut would remove all the fluff and make it follow the manga's story and pacing much more closely. They called this cut Dragon Ball Kai. It only affects DBZ though, so it starts after the time skip and doesn't change anything from the original Dragon Ball anime adaptation. Now there's some points of contention about DBK vs DBZ. Many people insist DBZ's soundtrack was much better than DBK's, but a lot of what colors such opinions is nostalgia. The main thing to keep in mind is that DBK closely follows the DB manga and has no filler, but DBZ is what people grew up with and remember fondly.
>>
>>320737
FMA brotherhood, Code Geass, Clannad as best starters
>>
>>320892
>I heard there were certain parts in Dragonball that weren't canon to a storyline or something.
Akira Toriyama, the guy who authored the Dragon Ball manga, finished the story with the Majin Buu arc in the manga and so Toei Animation had nothing left to adapt after they finished that arc in DBZ. Yet the series was still extremely popular. What to do? Well at the time they thought it would be a good idea to create their own anime-original Dragon Ball series, which they called Dragon Ball GT (GT means Grand Tour but this isn't really referencing anything and is essentially a meaningless title). GT was a continuation of the Dragon Ball series after the Buu saga of the manga. It was not very successful or well received by fans for a number of reasons.

Toriyama wasn't that happy about GT either. Eventually he is convinced by Toei to start writing Dragon Ball again and creates Dragon Ball Super, a new manga sequel to his Dragon Ball series that is set after the Majin Buu arc of DB/Z. Super completely erases DB GT from canon, which nobody is really sad about, but Super is itself of debatable quality. There are people who really enjoy it, but others who detest it. It feels like Toriyama tried to get back to the roots of Dragon Ball with Super, making the series more lighthearted and goofy like it was at its outset, and not as grim and serious as DBZ was.
>>
>>320930
>>320935
Hmm, I'll watch Dragon Ball and then DBK, since I don't like filler at all. Would I be making a mistake?

>>320933
Already seen 2 of those. Will watch Clannad though, so thanks.
>>
>>320737
Rurouni Kenshin. Japan was changing after the shogun era and samurais became errand vagabonds, this anime tells the story of many such individuals.
Fullmetal Alchemist (+ Conqueror of Shambala). The original series depicts a version of its own, a tale of tragedy and powers beyond our science, our dreams, and our nightmares.
Cardcaptor Sakura. The magical girl that inherits a zodiac of powers, also has to catch them all before they run rampant.
Sailor Moon. Main character is the reincarnation of a moon princess, battles the forces that killed her while trying to maintain a personal life.
Slayers. In a world ruled by magic, Rina Inverse is a traveling wizard looking for fame and fortune, then he met Gaudi, who possess an incredible weapon, and some very powerful enemies.
Yu Yu Hakusho. A student killed in a car accident is given a second chance, he must stop supernatural entities breaking into our world, but the an ever increasing powerful groups are more than a challenge.
Sola. Between romance and drama this can be quite sad and shocking about a boy and a girl, can't ell you much without spoilers but the supernatural part plays a role of getting in between the story of its characters.
Robotech (the saga by Harmony Gold). Epic space opera, consider watching the Harmony Gold version, there is so much going on for particular characters who are part of a major event but never for a minute you lose grip of love story or the action. With the invasion of aliens the only hope for mankind is an alien ship that crash landed years ago.
Saint Seiya. The legendary saga of Athena and her warriors is a cosmic fight here on earth. Mystical powers and a good plot is a classic you must not miss.
>>
File: Berserker_Armour_Version_2.png (581KB, 800x1206px) Image search: [Google]
Berserker_Armour_Version_2.png
581KB, 800x1206px
>>320737
Read Vagabond if you want a good semi-historic samurai epic with gritty, realistic gore and some philosphical undertones.

Also read Berserk, it's setting a medieval Europe inspired dark fantasy. Very story-driven and action packed. Some of the best fight scenes I've seen in a manga next to Vagabond.
Goddamn is the art style good.Extremely
detailed and crisp. Honestly I wonder how Miura does it.

pic is Berserk Related
>>
>>320941
If you don't like filler read the Dragon Ball manga instead of watching the anime
>>
>>320941
The manga is the "purest" experience for Dragon Ball, and would be a lot faster than the anime in any regard. Would also save you the hassle of tracking down various release versions of the anime series. If you're going to read the manga I suggest downloading the scans of the official English release by Viz. They're high quality scans and the translation is pretty good.

Take whatever you can get for the anime versions.
>>
>>320737
I'd recommend sticking with older anime a bit as a newcomer, to give you a sense of the quality ceiling anime has, since most old anime are much better technically than new ones. It'll help refine your tastes and entertain you at the same time.
With that in mind, I recommend, Gunsmith Cats, "Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku", Yu Yu Hakushow, Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel Alita AKA GUNNM, Jin Roh: The Wold Brigade, Akira, Birdy The Mighty, and Paprika.
Some newer anime that I recommend are Gundam Thunderbolt, Redline, Bokurano, Sky Crawlers, Fooly Cooly, High School of the Dead, Diebuster!, and Cencoroll.
This is all my opinion, but some of it is widely celebrated work. Hope all of this helps. Enjoy your animes.
>>
>>320737
Death Note
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
My Hero Academia
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.