[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, i have this problem i can't figure out. Imagine we have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 20170515_093207.jpg (1MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170515_093207.jpg
1MB, 2880x2160px
Hi, i have this problem i can't figure out.
Imagine we have an unlimited field made of hexagonal cells, how is it possible to calculate the number of paths (w) starting from the start cell and returning back to the start cell given the number of movement you can perform (n)? You can also pass more the one time om every cell. Example in pic related

In other words, is there a mathematical formula to solve this problem, or is there anywere you can point me out to solve it?
Thanks in advantage
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 500x300px
>>315597
A hexagonal field is just a square field where you can also move up-left or down-right.

Which means that paths are just strings of [up,down,left,right,up-left,down-right], and circuits are paths where every up has a corresponding down or down-right, and so on.
>>
>>315610
Start + P1 + P2 + ... + Pn = Start
P1, P2,...,Pn are the movement vectors of a closed path
possible vectors are L(up left), U(up), R(up right), -L(down right), -U(down), -R(down left)
with L+R=U

examples of loops:
L,R,-U since L + R - U = 0
L,L,R,-L,-U since 2L + R + -L + -U = 0

I hope it helps you formulize it
>>
>>315610
>>315612
Yes, but the aim is to find the formula which joins the number of moves to the possible paths we can create starting from start cell and ending to start, not how to move orselves trough the cells...

Or i'm missing the point of your posts
>>
On a sidenote, i forgot to mention that the starting cell is fixed and does not change.

I'm pretty sure i've read of this problem before but i don't know where
>>
>>315614
>>315614
>Or i'm missing the point of your posts
You are: if you can generate something, that necessarily means you can enumerate it.
>>
you sure h=3 w=12?
>>
>>315617
a N-moves that start and end from the same cell (or a loop) is a string formed by elements L, R, U, -L, -R and -U with length N and their sum is 0
>>
>>315633
comb. of L R -U : 3*2*1 = 6 (3 move)
comb. of -L -R U = 6 (3 move)
so w3=12

comb. of L -L R -R : 4*3*2*1 = 24 (4 move)
comb of L -L U -U = 24
comb of R -R U -U = 24
so w4=72

am I missing something?

Also I noticed that for even moves you have number of L, R, U equal to -L,-R,-U resp.
>>
>>315646
>for even moves you have number of L, R, U equal to -L,-R,-U resp.
Even if you insert two cycles of L,-U,R somewhere in the middle of your path?

I think you're only thinking that because you're assuming that an even number of moves means it necessarily decomposes into pairs of [move away, move back], and so you can treat it like a manhattan grid.

It's way easier to think of hexagon grids as grids of squares where you can also move across one of the diagonals.
>>
>>315653
oh right
just give the formula if you have
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.