[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad is interested in getting into anime. He doesn't have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 58041[1].jpg (37KB, 225x314px) Image search: [Google]
58041[1].jpg
37KB, 225x314px
My dad is interested in getting into anime. He doesn't have any particular favorite genre of show or movie, he just likes good stuff.

What is some good anime for people who've never watched anime before? Nothing overly hyper, no moeshit, preferably really great, deep stories and good characters, interesting and unique art styles.

Pic related is a wonderful example of an anime I know I'd recommend to people who don't watch anime, it's so fucking good and the people act like actual human beings.
>>
>>313011
Monster. It's pretty much *the* anime for dads.
>>
Oh, and please, no lewd shit. No tits, no ass, no fanservice, none of that.
>>
>>313011
cowboy bebop gets most people
>>313013
there is faye, but I don't think she is worse than your average like action movie heroine or something
>>
>>313013
this >>313012
also here's some good anime without violence or nudity:
Tokyo Godfathers, Grave of the Fireflies/Barefoot Gen, Roujin Z, Angel's Egg, Nasu Summer in Andalusia, Genius Party 1&2
>>
Moribito Guardian of the Spirit

Follows a woman named Balsa as she is commissioned to protect a prince that a royal conspiracy wants dead. There is this one crappy episode where she is hunted by a guy with a grudge that has nothing to do with the story at all, but other than that it's a nice romp through low fantasy with a very strong feudal era Japan vibe. It's based on a 12 book series, but only the first one was adapted into an anime due to a strangely unpopular reception in its native country.
>>
>>313011
Haibane Renmei
>>
Highschool DxD

This is where we separate the boys from the men
>>
https://youtu.be/pobadxax508
>>
>>313169
Le epic maymays XD
>>
Speaking as an old fuck -

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo
Attack on Titan probably
FLCL if he was a druggie at any point
Haibane Renmei (provided he's okay with more emotional/spiritual stuff), Lain possibly
Serei no Moribito sure, good choice - plus most of the rest of the stuff here
Planetes
Ghost in the Shell SAC/2nd Gig/movies
Paranoia Agent
>>
>>313011
My dad really likes Satoshi Kon movies. In particular he liked Tokyo Godfathers. He found the character in Millennium Actress a bit too shallow, Paprika to be kind of empty though liked it visually and I think Perfect Blue was just plain to tense and violent to him.

He also liked Angel's Egg, though GITS more and some Miyazaki movies, mainly Princess Mononoke.

In this vane I'd also recommend Memories.
>>
>>313188
>Attack on Titan
Please be memeing. Unless your dad is a 14 year old girl, don't go with this one, OP.
>>
>>313188
Besides shingeki no kyoin its fine list
>>
Berserk
Death parade is something he'll probably love unless or maybe especially if he's really old
Kaiji is amazing
Welcome to the NHK if he is interested in dabbling into the weird
If he is a fan of Kon he should watch wolf children
The first 13 episodes of Rainbow are legendary
And if he can handle a bit of hyper then Tatami galaxy from the director of Ping Pong should be good, flcl was too hyper for my dad i don't know about yours
>>
>>313173
I thought that Honneamise never got an English dub
>>
Death Note
>>
>>313472
Only problem is Misa is a little weird

Also, I am surprised no one recommended Fullmetal Alchemist (family fun some dark themes, but also heartwarming) yet. Baccano! (If you want a complex and hectic storyline) and Fate/Zero (complex and tragic characters).
>>
File: Anime Reccomendations.jpg (3MB, 3380x3622px) Image search: [Google]
Anime Reccomendations.jpg
3MB, 3380x3622px
>>
>>313011
Akira
>>
Desert Punk
>>
Serial Experiments Lain: an avant-garde 1998 anime series about "The wired" which is similar to the internet
>>
File: Monster.jpg (268KB, 656x900px) Image search: [Google]
Monster.jpg
268KB, 656x900px
My recommendation is Naoki Urasawa's Monster. It's 74 episodes long, so it may be quite the commitment, but I think he'll be hooked after the first few episodes. My brother who thinks all anime is like Naruto was instantly hooked.

The show deals with some very interesting topics like identity, ethics, and eugenics.

It's about a brain surgeon who saves the life of a little boy and has to live with the consequences of his decision. Don't worry, this isn't some hospital drama. It's more akin to a horror/thriller like Se7en, complete with religious undertones and themes.

Also, the characters don't all share the same face but with different hair colors. Each face is uniquely drawn with the kind of detail that is unusual for Anime.

This is my recommendation.
>>
>>313011
Shin Mazinger Z, Getter Robo Armageddon, Zegapain, Claymore, Ghost Hunt, After War Gundam X, Nausicaa, Ideon, Nobunaga The Fool, and Ghost in The Shell.
>>313012
>>313907
Fuck no that was boring and was loaded with filler
>>
>>313590
So weird it had low production values, nonseensical writing, and was one of the few anime I ever gave a 1/10. Would sooner cover my ass in fire ants than recommend this to anyone outside of death row. Makes me wish /a/ would end the "this is intellectual" meme.
>>
>>313911
Don't believe him. All the "filler" was necessary for character development and you see almost all the minor characters make a reappearance.

Trust me on this one.
>>
Can't believe no one here mentioned JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
>>
>>313951
Would you seriously show anyone Jojo?
>>
>>313907
Isn't there a lot of nudity and sex?
>>
>>313979
nope but it gets pretty boring really fast
>>
>>313979
Not at all.
>>313951
Fuck off. Jojo is good but it is also weird.
>>313301
>>313188
These are sane recommendations save for Attack on Titan. Treat FLCL with care.

You opened with Ping Pong, well, rest of Yuasa.
Jin Roh, Texhnolyze, Ayakashi, Mononoke, Gankutsuou, Neo Tokyo, Time of Eve, Last Exile, Mushishi, LoGH, VOTOMS, Arcadia of my Youth, Cockpit, Area 88, Sword of the Stranger
>>
>>313013
>Oh, and please, no lewd shit. No tits, no ass, no fanservice, none of that.

So you're saying that you have two dads.
>>
Psyco-pass, though preferably only the first season
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.