[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best surreal, psychological, thematically rich and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: End of Eva.jpg (159KB, 1024x952px) Image search: [Google]
End of Eva.jpg
159KB, 1024x952px
What are the best surreal, psychological, thematically rich and in general "2deep4u" works in manga. Something that just excels in form and content.

Just like anime has things like Utena, Lain, Angel's Egg or Eva, so what are the kinds of works that do similar things but utilize the manga medium to do so.

Also, I would rather get recs from someone who actually does admire the works I mentioned, since then I can trust that our tastes align.
>>
>>312988
>surreal, psychological, thematically rich and in general "2deep4u"
This is the very definition of manga artist Asano Inio. Check out Oyasumi Punpun.

Though a little less psychological, since you mentioned Lain and Eva, I'd recommend the manga version of Ghost in the Shell and of course Akira. These two are classics of cyberpunk.

I don't know if this will help, but there's that.
>>
Franken Fran. It's logic is brutal in pursuing happiness. As in, "becoming blind would be better cure than seeing all these horrible things".

Anything from Kago Shintaro, with a notion that the challenge here is to play along with Shintaro's imagination. Can be fun or not.

Hotel by Boichi. Sci-Fi stories.

Pluto by Urasawa Naoki and Tezuka Osamu. Those who like it really like it.
>>
>>312988
Brothers in Japan, Number Five, and Hana by Matsumoto Taiyou. Journey to the End of the World, Sadness of the Heart, and Me-Bug by the Nishioka siblings. Astroid & Spinoza by Koike Keiichi. Neji-shiki, The Outside Inflation, and some other oneshots by Tsuge Yoshiharu. Ranman by Katou Shinkichi.

I'm assuming you're only looking for things available in English. Obviously, you can check out other works by the artists listed above; I went with the works I thought fit best.
>>
Narutaru was pretty 2deep4me, though I'm not sure if that's the edgy kind
>>
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
>>
Go Go Monster and Tekkon Kinkreet
>>
>>312996
>>313081
>>313263
Good recommendations, thank, But I have read those.
>>313068
>>312999
>>312998
Only read Pluto from those and no.5 so I've got some stuff to check out.
>>
>>313313
How about Life Is Money.
>>
Homunculus
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.