[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I signed up for Computer Science in university but I didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 1264705898338.png (358KB, 730x598px) Image search: [Google]
1264705898338.png
358KB, 730x598px
I signed up for Computer Science in university but I didn't apply myself in math the last few years in high school.

What should I learn/repeat before starting CS in October?
>>
File: 00.png (4KB, 224x250px) Image search: [Google]
00.png
4KB, 224x250px
>>310909
Don't worry
>>
>didn't apply myself in math the last few years
Why are you being allowed into university?
>>
>>310922
Because even without applying myself I'm good enough to pass.
>>
>>310914
>this image, in .png format
ironic

your field is carried by CS silly nog
>>
>>310914 notwithstanding, CS is just EE, with a few less maths and physics, and some humanities thrown in. You should seriously consider switching, or endure a career of people telling you you're not an engineer -- despite the fact that engineers code for shit.

Brush up on your calculus. It is the key to college level physics.
>>
>>311000
>CS is just EE with a little less math and physics
wow, you couldn't be more wrong, please try actually investigating some EE curriculums.
>>
>>310909
I have no idea what they make you do in university but I'm a self-taught computer scientist[1] with no real knowledge of the last few years of HS math and never had any issues learning stuff. You don't really use maths in CS, just logic.

[0] Since I took part in the standardization of the seventh revision of Scheme I don't shy off of calling myself a computer scientist.

>>310926
Not sure why that's ironic, when PNG is good for fonts on flat background. The font is shit though, and the meme stupid. CS is god tier.
>>
>>311101
>Not sure why that's ironic
because the algorithms (e.g. LZW) used in PNG format were developed by computer scientists and published in computer science journals?

he's brainlessly relying on a product built specifically by computer scientists to try to insult them
>>
CS curricula typically have pretty intro-level classes in the type of math that's directly applicable to CS (discrete math, which here means logic and proofs, set theory, combinatorics, etc). I wouldn't worry about this too much since you don't really need any prior knowledge to take it on, and it tends to be more fun anyway.

however your cs program will probably require some calculus, typically up to whatever "calculus 2" is, and for one reason or another this is what computer sciencey types tend to struggle more with. Did you have some kind of entry test to see where you'll start in the calc track? At my university it went something like "college algebra" -> "precalculus" / "trigonometry" -> "calculus 1" -> "calculus 2", so take wherever you're starting in the calc track and make sure you understand the prerequisites. If you're starting in calc 1, for sure try and build an intuition for trig, which will be surprisingly helpful
>>
>>311115

If three out of three were jews, and the papers were published in journals edited by jews. Was it created by jews or by computer scientists?
>>
>>311094

You're right, I only have the example of the university I went to. But since I know how many humanities courses I had to take (engineering were not required to), I know precisely how many other courses they took.

And the fact remains I helped them in the computer lab cause they sucked at coding.
>>
>>311307
Then I guess your university sucked.

Any university for grown-ups, you don't touch humanities unless that's your major. There's simply not enough time to be fannying about with unrelated shit.
>>
>>310909
The only time you'll use anything more complex than high school algebra is when/if you're creating or working with "math" software
>>
>>311000
>CS is just EE, with a few less maths and physics

No, that's Computer Engineering.
>>
File: 1451044106256.png (14KB, 716x347px) Image search: [Google]
1451044106256.png
14KB, 716x347px
>>311115
>because the algorithms (e.g. LZW) used in PNG format were developed by computer scientists

*Electrical Engineers

>Lempel was born on 10 February 1936 in Lwów, Poland (now Lviv, Ukraine).[1] He studied at Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, and received a B.Sc. in 1963, M.Sc. in 1965, and D.Sc. in 1967 in EE. Since 1977 he has held the title of full professor. Lempel is now a professor emeritus in Technion.
>Ziv was born in Tiberias, British-ruled Palestine, on 27 November 1931. He received the B.Sc., Dip. Eng., and M.Sc. degrees, all in electrical engineering, from the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology in 1954, and 1957, respectively, and the D.Sc. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1962.
>Welch received a B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degree at MIT in electrical engineering. He taught at the University of Texas at Austin and worked in computer design at Honeywell in Waltham, Massachusetts.
>>
>>311773
Computer scientists studied maths, physics, or EE in the past because there was no such field as "computer science" until the 50s / early 60s.
>>
File: The truth about CS.png (89KB, 1155x409px) Image search: [Google]
The truth about CS.png
89KB, 1155x409px
>>311101
>I have no idea what they make you do in university
>the meme stupid. CS is god tier.

Obviously referring to CS education.
>>
>>310914
If you don't have a Ph.D
You don't have any right to put yourself above others. You B.S degree be it CS, engineering maths physics etc is worthless.
So please you are the same shit with a different title
>>
>>311776

All that text sounds a lot like it could be accurate.

I was talking about CS itself though, not how it's taught in uni, what kind of people study it in uni, etc.

The high-class CS people like Lispers and Haskell folks tend to have solid maths understanding.

I'm lazy and have neglected developing myself much farther after grasping most of the deeper concepts in Scheme and a few simple things like lambda calculus, but if you go into that direction of CS it's pretty god-tier.

Like do u even delimited continuations and continuation-passing-style.
>>
>>310909
I can say that not knowing any shitty highschool math problem solving techniques is better. linear algebra, differential equations, calculus, some discrete maths are must
>>
>>310909
https://www.amazon.com/How-Solve-Mathematical-Princeton-Science/dp/069116407X/
>>
>>311775

Which is why modern CS is dead.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.