[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have a pretty specific computing question. Heres the situation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Have a pretty specific computing question. Heres the situation

Im building a second computer out of spare/old parts, (dubbed R1) but i cant get it to POST. Theres no speaker pins as far as i can tell, so i cant really determine a problem based off that. I've narrowed it down to either the mobo or the cpu. I grabbed a second rig (R2) that was lying around and removed the cpu. Next i removed the cpu from R1. The problem is, in R2, the processor is physically attached to the heatsink since it was a cheap build. On top of that, the fan screw holes on R2 are designed for the R2 processor and not the fan from R1. So my question is this:

Could i just screw in two screws like so and test the processor safely? Or would there be heating peoblems/shorting.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Mobo i want to put processor in
>>
thats not very specific and its obvious retard
>>
>>309953
Apparently its not obvious enough
>>
File: sku_23015_1.jpg (64KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sku_23015_1.jpg
64KB, 600x600px
>>309950
You only need a diagnostic card.
>>
>>309950
first:
why is your cpu physically attached to the heatsink ?
usually old thermalpaste can stick like glue. if you carefully try to wiggle
maybe drop some acetone or rubbing alcohol "between" heatsink and cpu so you can soak the thermalpaste in it. it takes time but you will remove the cpu from the heatsink

for testing purposes you can mount the cpu (with attached heatsink in your case) onto the motherboard.
if your cpu fits nicley the heatsink will do its work without beeing screwed onto the mobo. no worries.

just remember to tab on DEL(or whatever key it is on your mobo) as soon as the computer boots up so you can reach into bios and check for temperatur.

report back if succesfull

good luck anon
>>
>>309950
second:
why haven't you found your speaker pins?
try and find your mobos user manual. locate the pins for the speaker if existing. the squeeker will help you find your problem.

also try and remove all other parts like ram ,graphicscard and stuff and see if the machine will boot.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.