[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey I'm looking for guides how to properly burn PS2 games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 588510_v2.jpg (151KB, 497x402px) Image search: [Google]
588510_v2.jpg
151KB, 497x402px
Hey I'm looking for guides how to properly burn PS2 games. What kind of media? What kind of format? what kind of burning speed? so forth.

I want to gift my friend MGS3 for his PS2, he said it already plays non-licenced copies so I guess it's already modchipped.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>309019
DVDs. Slowest speed possible which is determined by your DVD burner. Modern ones burn fast by default. I heard people used some Jap brand of DVDRs called Taiyo Yuden. Because Jap DVDRs last longer. I just use Verbatims.
>>
>>309034
will ISOs made for emulators work to burn as well?
>>
>>309361
Yes, .ISO files are what I use.
Then burn the disc image using imgburn. I use an old external DVD burner that can burn at slow speeds.

However these discs only work on PS2s with chips installed. There is a soft mod that requires for the disc image to be patched first.
>>
>>309381
I'm OP and the PS2 of my friend should be chipmodded. Questions: are there different kinds of chipmods which require different approaches?
What is a softmod and is it required if the PS has a chip?
>>
>>309381
>>309034
Thanks btw
>>
>>309393
A softmod is a specially-crafted data structure that exploits a bug in a game or the OS to gain control of the processor. Once you have control of the processor, you can run your own programs, and you can load a game using means other than the OS's method, and so avoid the OS's check for the disk being genuine.

By contrast, chipmods leave the games and OS unmodified and make the DVD drive pretend it has a genuine disk in when really it has a copied one.

There are other chipmods that replace the OS with one that doesn't check, but that's not how they work on PS2.
>>
>>309393
>>309397
Platforms where hardmods just modify the drive to lie to the OS: Xbox 360, PS1, PS2, Wii
Platforms where hardmods replace the OS with one that doesn't check protection:
Original Xbox, Xbox 360 (JTAG, RGH)

There are also some hybrids where the hardmod cons the console into accepting media with a softmod on, for example the NDS and 3DS.
>>
File: BrowserPreview_tmp.gif (2MB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
BrowserPreview_tmp.gif
2MB, 1000x800px
>>309399
Thanks for all the info, so the hardmod of my friends PS2 should just modify the drive.

Now is it just as easy as burning a downloaded ISO to a DVD-R and play it?

Have selfmade pixel art as a thankyou :)
>>
>>309411
As I understand it, yes (all mine have been softmodded with a hard disk).

I think you need to check that the ISO is a straight dump and not one that's been modified to work with the softmod loader (which I believe is called "ESR"). A hardmodded PS2 can't load modified software, even from what it believes to be a genuine disk, so your ISO needs to be unmodified. So long as it's unmodified, all you need to do is write it to a disk.
>>
>>309411
remember to always burn in the slowest speed possible, that is key to have games that work properly
>>
File: recordwave.webm (2MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
recordwave.webm
2MB, 480x320px
>>309427
>>309543
thanks again dear stranger, first try will be burnout 3 takedown

have a big wave in return
>>
>>309580
>>309411
Saved!

Happy burning!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.