[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I have a Intel Core i3-3220 processor in my computer >

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Iamdumb.png (245KB, 2088x2080px) Image search: [Google]
Iamdumb.png
245KB, 2088x2080px
>I have a Intel Core i3-3220 processor in my computer
>I spend $100 per year with it
>I'll install a Intel Core i7-7700 in my computer
>I want to know how much it'll cost me per year to use that computer with this new processos, executing the same exact tasks

Someone told me this:
>i3 TDP = 55W ( http://ark.intel.com/products/65693/Intel-Core-i3-3220-Processor-3M-Cache-3_30-GHz )
>i7 TDP = 65W ( https://ark.intel.com/products/97128/Intel-Core-i7-7700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz )

>Total power consumption with i3 in watts = x+55
>Yearly spend per watt in dollars = 100/(x+55)
>Yearly spend with i7 in dollars = 100(x+65)/(x+55)

>So with the i7 you'll pay each year 100x+6500/(x+55) dollars, where x is the TDP of EVERYTHING ELSE IN YOUR COMPUTER THAT YOU HAVEN'T TOLD US ABOUT.

So, can someone please check the TDP of everything else I have to put in this calculation? I'll list it:

>Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S1 (rev. 2.2)
>Memory: Two G-Skill F3-1600C9D-16GXM
>Hard disk drive: Seagate ST1000DM003
>Optical drive: LG GH24NSC0
>Power supply: Corsair CMPSU-430CX
>Case: Zalman ZM-R1
>Chassis: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
>Monitor: Samsung S24B390
>Mouse: Logitech M90
>Keyboard: Logitech K120

Thanks!
>>
>>306823
Not sure if you are trolling.
The TDP is the amount of HEAT energy disspated per unit time, it does not directly correlate to power drawn.
>>
>>307346
Not trolling. I am really dumb, like in the picture.

So, what should I put in the x of the equation "Yearly spend with i7 in dollars"?
>>
>>307346
Sure it does. Computers produce no useful work, only heat*, so every bit of heat they produce has to be drawn out the socket as electricity.

If you have a computer that can produce heat without requiring electricity, please let the world know, as you will have found a revolutionary power source that will single-handedly solve the energy crisis.

*okay, technically they produce a bit of fan noise
>>
>>307348
Create your computer in PCPartPicker, then look in the top right and it will tell you.
>>
>>307346
Almost all of the power is dissipated as heat, anon.
>>
>>307346
>it does not directly correlate to power drawn
yes it does, it means that at the worst case scenario (maximum processor usage) it will draw at least [%tdp] watts, which is wasted energy since it will be all converted to heat
average and minimal power draw are probably a way better metric than relying on the tdp metric alone, since the system is not going to be running at 100% full time
honestly caring about this kind of power draw is meaningless in todays time (as long as you dont plan on running it from batteries), processors (regardless of make and model) are already pretty power efficient on not-100%-load scenarios (just dont buy an old i7 9xx or a fx-8xxx and you should be good)
>>
>>307411
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBVJHN
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.