[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in Gen Urobuchi's work, I hear he does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 180px-Urobuchi_gen_01[1].jpg (15KB, 180x262px) Image search: [Google]
180px-Urobuchi_gen_01[1].jpg
15KB, 180x262px
I'm interested in Gen Urobuchi's work, I hear he does a lot of fucked up shit. What's his best stuff? What's his most fucked up stuff?
>>
I've watched:
Madoka
Psycho Pass
Fate/Zero
Gargantia
Aldnoah.Zero

Psycho Pass was really good, but I only finished the first season. Second season is shit. Fate/Zero is a prequel so you can watch it without watching previous season/playing the game.

>What's his most fucked up stuff?
Probably Psycho Pass, but there's also Madoka.
>>
>>304554

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen_Urobuchi#Anime

Only relevant things I've watched of his that I'd consider good are Madoka and Psycho-Pass.

Others have enjoyed the anime adaption of his LN, Fate/Zero, a prequel to Fate/Stay Night.
Saya no Uta is well-beloved VN written by him.
Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom is well-known and highly regarded.
Thunderbolt Fantasy has at least a vocal community of fans, don't actually know if it's good, but it's got a second season incoming, so it's maybe decent at least.
Don't know if Expelled from Paradise is good either, but who knows.

>>304574

>Gargantia
>Aldnoah Zero

I don't know if recommending these is really correct, since he only wrote two or three episodes for them and the rest is just the staff trying to imitate his style, at least for Aldnoah Zero anyway, which just turned into a shitfest.
>>
>>304554
Uro's "fucked up shit" is overblown by western anime viewers who immediately see Saya no Uta and think all his work is like it.

In general, his works were a lot better before 2003 when Kamen Rider Ryuki aired and all his works became semi-derivative of it somehow.

Shits worth watching/reading/playing:

Visual Novels:
>Kikokugai

Cyberpunk Wuxia (chinese/HK martial art). Protag survived a failed assassination attempt, while his sister in the meantime was gangraped and killed, with her soul separated into 5 parts and put into 5 sexbots. A year later, he returns, seeking revenge.

Fairly short read, its about 4-5 hours long and really encompasses his style. Action packed and engaging as hell, with a nice twist at the end as expected of him.

>Saya no Uta
The first thing people think of when they think of him. MC had an experimental surgery to save his life after a car crash, but as a result his senses are completely fucked, all he see are gore, food taste disgusting, everything smells rotten, etc... One day, he met a completely pure girl at the hospital, he ask her to live with him, she agree.

Morbid, freaky, yet somehow sort of touching. Quintessential Gen Urobuchi
>>
>>304893
TV:

>Madoka
Magical Girl deconstruction.

>Kamen Rider Gaim
Superhero deconstruction. Kamen Rider is a long running Tokusatsu (think Power Rangers, which is an English adaption of a different Tokusatsu franchise) series from the 70s.

>Fate/Zero
Prequel to Fate/Stay Night, meant to be read/watched as an epilogue of sort, unlike what >>304574 said. It differs from his other works in that he's working with a set backstory (Fate Stay Night already decided most of the events in Zero through flashbacks, so there's not a lot of room for deviation) rather than from scratch

VN with Anime adaptions:
>Phantom of Inferno
15 years old kid got kidnapped by a criminal organization, his memories are erased and he's trained as a killer under the organization's top assassin Phantom.

His first ever VN. It received an adaptation in 2009 as Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom which cover one of the main ending. The VN has a translation, however its in some retarded DVD player-friendly format with no saves and no fast forward. After each chapter you're given a password to resume there. Its also incompatible with most software DVD players.

I'd start with the two VN. They're both quite short at 5-6 hours a piece, and they're arguably his best work, Outlaw Django is up there as well, but JAST USA has been holding the translation hostage for at least 5 years now, I don't see it coming out any time soon
>>
>>304893
>Kikokugai
https://vndb.org/v183
https://pastebin.com/wyjzS0JF - DL Link

>Saya no Uta
https://vndb.org/v97
>https://mega.nz/#!jMNGCCKQ!nSNEyez-ldXV5IEgx5bgoULn2kqKP4FZe-TWcGA7Izg

These things can be hard to find links for.
>>
I've seen all of his anime projects. Thunderbolt Fantasy is his masterpiece.
The characters are multifaceted and they all develop. The action is excellent. It would not have been half as good if it were not made with puppets.
>>
>>304932
This
OP should watch puppetkino
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.