[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know it's a weabo thing, but I want to learn Japanese

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: ja-lgflag.gif (11KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
ja-lgflag.gif
11KB, 400x267px
I know it's a weabo thing, but I want to learn Japanese but have no time to do it.

Is there a self-teach book that I can start with? I would prefer if it was something to give me the abc of the language, I'm planing to learn it in an actual centre later on. But I would like to start now with the simple stuff.
>>
>>303081
>I want to learn Japanese but have no time to do it
They you won't learn Japanese. You can't magically shortcut you're way into learning something. Life isn't a video game. You put in the hours and do the work or you don't learn anything.
>>
>>303081
there are japanese-learning threads in /jp/ and /int/
>>>/jp/djt/
>>>/int/djt/

probably check out the guide they link in the OP
>>
Learning japanese takes a lot of time. It can be self taught, but you really do need to put in hours and many days of learning. You will need time to form new connections in your brain and time to parse japanese grammar, and time too learn vocabulary, and time to consume japanese media.

Make time. Create new habits. You just need to put in the hours.
>>
>>303087
Thanks anon, I will check them out.

>>303090
I already knew that, hence why I said I will go to an actual learning centre. But as if now, I don't have alot of time to waste; finals are coming up and next year I won't have even time to browse the net.
>>
>>303082
I want the abc, only that.
Believe me, I know that already. I just want the bare bones of it.
>>
>>303096
And I should've added " as if right now " to the OP.
>>
Genki // Minna no Nihongo

Genki is better for young kids I think

Minna is better for business and higher level? Idk, it's what my teacher says
>>
>>303096
Japanese writing is complicated. It has 3 alphabets. You can learn the kana alphabets easily enough in a month or so, depending on how much you practice it could be longer or much quicker. But kanji takes a long time to learn and is best coupled with vocabulary rather than learning them in isolation, because you need to know about 2000 kanji to be considered literate in Japanese. And it is impossible to be considered literate without kanji because virtually all written Japanese except stuff intended for small children uses kanji. You can maybe get by with manga aimed at kids which uses furigana above the kanji, but novels and games are completely out of the question.
>>
>>303136
Just what I was looking for, Thanks.
>>
>>303139
I already knew about kanji being a bitch to learn. Thanks for clearing up the amount I need to learn in kanji to be considered literature in japanese.

I am not going to tackle kanji until later on, when I have time. But kana I can tackle.
>>
>>303139
>in a month or so
Universities give you a week. All you need to do is stop whining, write them all from memory, check your work, write out a few lines of each of the ones you got wrong, and repeat.

You can't put off kanji "until later", they're an integral part of the language and you need to start with them*.

* if you don't agree with this, check out Japanese for Busy People, a language course for people to buy, peck at for a few weeks, then give up on because Japanese is hard.
>>
>>303163
>But kana I can tackle.

It's useful if you want to know what ガンダムmeans, but otherwise not really.
>>
>>303236
I meant when I have time. I don't NEED to learn it, I WANT to learn it. That means that I can quit if I see it as too hard.
And I know japanese is hard, I speak both arabic and english so I know how difficult it is to learn multiple languages. And I know kanji is essential. I just don't want my hobbies to conflict with my studies. But thanks for the book

>>303242
One day I will.

Every great journey begins with a single step.
>>
Remember also to practice stroke orders. It may suddenly boost your studies to another level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_order (some animations)
https://www.tagaini.net/ (software)

I have practiced stroke orders simply to have a pen or brush in my hand again. It's kinda doodling for me now, but may someday have more purpose.
>>
>>303242
It's pretty useful for knowing what の, は,に, で, and を mean too.
>>
>>303294
Isn't that hiragana? Don't bully, I'm shit at Japanese. I only know what little I do from Super Robot Wars.
>>
>>303319
I don't speak nip but I thought "kana" referred to both hiragana and katakana -- in other words, everything that isn't kanji
>>
>>303163
Kana on its own isn't super useful, is the point I was trying to make. You won't be able to read much beyond stuff intended for little kids. Furigana (hiragana written above kanji) is included in most shounen manga, but mainstream adult publications don't use it. You seem to underestimate how much everyday Japanese uses kanji. You absolutely cannot get by with just kana unless you are 7 years old and don't have to worry about reading anything except stories for kids and homework assignments.
>>
>>303319
>>303325
The hiragana in >>303294 were a few particles used in grammar. Some have different pronunciations and meanings depending on context.
>>
>>303334
The point I'm trying to make is that while I know how important kanji is, I don't want to waste lots of study time on it. I want to learn kanji when I have time ( and the fact that I will not need japanese for some time is useful ). All I'm saying is that I will learn kanji and practice it. I just want to start with the bare bones.
>>
>>303428
Yeah, and what you keep getting told and ignoring is that they're not optional, and they're part of the "bare bones". Kanji serve an important grammatical purpose, and you are actively harming your learning by pretending they don't exist.

If you could learn Japanese without learning kanji, don't you think Japan would do that?
>>
>>303490
I'm not 'pretending they don't exist' and I understand your point.
Perhaps I should've made it clearer. I am trying to learn japanese slowly. And while I'm not going to actively learn kanji, I will learn what I need.
I don't need japanese, it doesn't have any porpose other than read some manga or maybe boast about the fact that I know how to read it.
I don't want to harm my progress in learning it, so I will be collecting as much info as possible before I begin, so your advice will be taken and I will learn kanji, but the time I actively start learning kanji will be later on.
And anyway, this thread was for getting self-learning books to get me started. The centre I'll be going to is supposedly teaching people who have zero knowledge about the subject.
But thank you anyway.
>>
The way any language works is that if you treat it like a science, you will learn it mechanically. and when speaking to natives, you will sound blatantly foreign and robotic. it sucks that you don't have the time, but the only way to properly learn a language from the ground up is osmosis. you can always do rosetta stone and self education books, but it just doesn't give the internal motivation and constant practice of actually talking to japanese people out of necessity. to get started, i suppose you could start listening to japanese podcasts and try to understand what they are saying by taking notes and looking up words. sadly, there is no magic path to success though
>>
>>303757
I really wished I had the time, but I don't. So I'll stick with self learning books, and when I have time I'll watch japanese podcast. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>303081
There was a video instructional in /t/ that looked funny and educational. I quick browsed the catalog and didn't see it. I guess shit doesn't stay on that board forever as much as it seems like it. Sorry mayn.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.