[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, I'm studying electromechanics at what I guess would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Gear_pump_animation.gif (283KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gear_pump_animation.gif
283KB, 600x400px
Hi, I'm studying electromechanics at what I guess would be considered a trade school, and for our third year we have to make a project involving hydraulics/pneumatics and stuff like timers/contactors/relays and some basic sensors.
We work in groups and since this year there's only 5 people in our class (I know right) there's only one group with all 5 of us in it.
We'll have to build the machine (with our own funds) and make a folder detailing everything: why we built that certain machine, how we did it, schematics of the machine, etc.

Problem is we don't really know what to build, and we don't have a mechanical engineering professor at the moment so we can't really ask for their opinion on the hardest part of the project which is building the mechanical side of the machine.

Our electrical engineering professor suggested a powered pipe bender but we wanted to consider more ideas before deciding on that.
I had thought of making a very rudimentary plastic injector but I'm not sure that's something we could pull off

So /wsr/, could I have some ideas or advice? Any input is very welcome
>>
automated can crusher. toss can in, unit turns on, hydraulic plunger smashes can. can falls out, counter updates. keep tossing cans in, machine keeps going until no more cans. mech stops but coutner stays on until turned off.
>>
>>301899
CD duplicator.

CD drive, robot arm, in tray, out try, glue code which you write.

You could add on a cd printer if you were feeling fruity.
>>
I don't know shit about this subject. So I just have a question. Why doesn't the fluid in that gif move downward between the two gears?
>>
>>302277

That is a risk of this way of pumping and an exising unwanted side effect which exists and you wanna kep as small as possible. That's why you need high precision gears made out of the most durable materials. When reaching the top the water has its pressure to all directions and so it wants o follow the movement too, the gears just through their tightness have to seal this way effectively enough to keep this flow a minimum. As you can see the water/ liquid that was between the gears then their teeth overlap is indeed transported back down, this is an inherent and accepted loss, through the cuved shape of the teeth you a least try to press as much water as possible out of that gap before they overlap. With continuous use the friction and degaradation of the surface will increase this flow more and more, it's the question of how much effectiveness is still acceptable to you. Fresh and hypothetically perfect such a pump should just have a loss of a few permille and with use that will rise until you have to ask yourself: Is this loss of a few % still acceptable to me?
>>
>>302277
tl;dr: it does, but more fluid goes up through the unmeshed teeth than goes down through the meshed teeth.

If they were further apart nothing would go anywhere.
>>
>>302277
>>302346

Yea, there are those volumetric spaces between teeth along the outer arc that carry the liquid. The space then closes along the inner arc when the teeth are interlocking. There is a certain backpulse that relates with gear teeth position, but the flow direction is still positive all the time.

Toothed gear pumps are used with precision metering of thicker fluids like epoxy resins in plastics industry, or syrups and such in food industry. You can drive pretty viscous (powder filled) stuff with those pumps and meter, mix and dose them pretty accurately. Plenty of applications out there.

t. someone who has kept those things alive and running for a couple of years.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.