[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to watch some good WW2 themed anime, specially on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 1491903015925.jpg (1MB, 1275x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491903015925.jpg
1MB, 1275x1000px
I would like to watch some good WW2 themed anime, specially on the side of Japan and IJN.
Any recommendations?
>>
>>301419
Grave of the Fireflies
Grab some tissues, anon.
>>
Most Japanese media that is set in WW2 does not actually focus on the war but merely uses it as a backdrop for human drama stories. I can think of a couple movies that actually do focus on battles in the vein of Hollywood war epics, but it's extremely uncommon for Japan to take that approach to WW2 for a number of reasons. Chief among them: they lost the war. They don't have nearly as much to glorify as the Americans do. Another big deal is all the warcrime accusations they still face to this day, so they like to distance themselves from the actions of their military as much as they can. Recently though, there was a movie about kamikaze pilots that focused a lot on the battles and of course it was accused of being nationlistic and propagandistic, which just goes to show why they don't bother with those sorts of movies and stick to the tearjerkers about civilians caught in the middle of war.
>>
>>301475
Yea, you can't really paint the Japs in any good light because they were pretty evil during the war, at least with Nazis there were still plenty of German soldiers who were forced into the war and plenty who tried to take out Hitler and oppose the gassings.
With the Japs they were so indoctrinated with the whole emperor stuff that you can't really do the same.
>>
>>301421

>Grab some tissues

I can't really fap to animation, only VNs with good story.
>>
>>301538
For your tears anon, not your smegma.
>>
File: dyam you hard up nigah.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dyam you hard up nigah.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
>>301542
>>301538
>>301421
lol - this exchange has me in stitches...

Just the thought of fapping to Grave of the Fireflies... Man, edge beyond edge.
>>
File: Girls-und-Panzer_3mb.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Girls-und-Panzer_3mb.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>301419
Girls Und Panzer

Cute girls doing cute things, in WW2 tanks! (Why? Cuz fuck you - Japan, that's why!)

More seriously, perhaps Joker Game, which is about a WW2 era Japanese spy organization.

Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises" - a film about the Japanese Zero - would of course be a must see.
>>
File: jg_cover.jpg (35KB, 350x413px) Image search: [Google]
jg_cover.jpg
35KB, 350x413px
>>301633
Joker Game is seinen as fuck.

No big epic WW2 battles though, more of a cloak and dagger politics flick, but certainly an exception to the rules discussed.

There's also a WW2 battleship anime in the same vein as Girls Und Panzer, but fuck if I can remember (or care) what it's called.
>>
>>301475
>>301537
pfft...

ZipZang:
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/zipang

The Cockpit:
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/the-cockpit

First Squad:
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/first-squad-the-moment-of-truth

Something with a lot of long Japanese words:
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ano-hi-bokura-wa-senjou-de-shounenhei-no-kokuhaku

...also Sonic Boom Squadron, though it's a bit dated... and several others. There's no real shortage of them, unlike some people would assume, but they were more popular in the 70's and 80's.
>>
>>301641
Haifuri?
>>
>>301419
Does 'good' mean historically accurate or simply enjoyable?

Strike Witches takes WWII and turns it into ridiculous fluff with the developed world collaborating to fight aliens instead of each others. Underage girls fly around in their underwear (and sometimes less) in very well done sequences. When they aren't fighting aliens in the sky the girls are cooking, eating, arguing, sleeping and bathing and we see all of it. You'll have to downloaded the dvd or bluray rips to see uncensored bewbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_uqGedYkLg
>>
>>301419
Zipang, like>>301643 recommend. However, the anime is only one-cour, way behind the yet-unscanlated Manga. In my country our own official translation are catching up, but not the online english translation.
>>
As said before in this thread:
>Girls und Panzer
WW2 tanks in a stereotypical "we must win the sports to save our school" setting.
>Sora no Woto
Not WW2 at all, but the general aesthetic and technology is very WW1/2. My personal favorite.
>Hellsing Ultimate
There are oldschool nazis in modern day britain, that's about it.
>Jin-roh the wolf brigade
Actually a post WW2 japan subjugated by nazi germany
>Strike Witches
Everything is an excuse to have semi-naked girls fly in WW2 airplane themed flying boots, shooting techno aliens with WW2 weapons. And the characters are references to WW2 fighter aces.
>Arpeggio of Blue Steel
Not WW2, but its futuristic robot vessels are WW2 navy themed. It's also shit.
>Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Very historical. The first season happens around WW2, but sort of timeskips through the war.
>Joker Game
Episodic adventure espionage during WW2. One episode, one different spy, one different adventure.
>Haifuri
Not WW2, but WW2-era ships doing merchant marine stuff. They're also firing live rounds for some reason.
>Shuumatsu no Izetta
Basically hitler's wet dream during WW2 starts invading a swiss-esque country in the geographical location of austria. Renault FT-17 manned by blue-uniformed swissmen defending against PzIII/IV actually using combined arms. There's even a Vk3601H prototype in a weapons development center. It goes downhill when it becomes a witch arms race though.
>Kancolle
Kind of like strike witches, but with warships.
>Youjo Senki
Instead of WW1, it's kind of a WW1.5 happening in the twenties; elements of both wars. Also magic. But they got magic right on this one.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.