[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, here's a weird one. Pic related is Henry Darger, a man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Henry_Darger.jpg (21KB, 242x359px) Image search: [Google]
Henry_Darger.jpg
21KB, 242x359px
Ok, here's a weird one. Pic related is Henry Darger, a man made posthumously famous when it was discovered that he'd written a 15,000 page fantasy novel called The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion. Or In the Realms of the Unreal for short.
Since I'd heard about it I've been trying to find a copy of the book online, free or otherwise, with no luck whatsoever. Not even so much as an excerpt. Which is weird, since those who have read parts of it considered it a masterpiece.

Anybody have any idea if I missed something, and a portion or even the full text is floating around out there? This could be tricky since there is a biography and a documentary on the book, both stupidly titled In the Realms of the Unreal.
>>
>>299433
>Not even so much as an excerpt
Here's an excerpt:
http://www.pbs.org/pov/intherealms/excerpt-the-frightful-storm/
>>
File: vivian children.jpg (307KB, 1280x678px) Image search: [Google]
vivian children.jpg
307KB, 1280x678px
>>299434
>only about a page

What a shame, and it did seem readable.
Thanks for that at least.
>>
>>299438
Were his writings ever actually published? Everything I'm coming up with suggests they're kept by museums and such, which implies they might not even be publicly available.
>>
>>299439
That was my conclusion too, which is why I turned here as a last resort, just in case there might have been something after all, like maybe some of the story had been published and the manuscripts themselves were in museums.
>>
>>299433
I'd recommend the PBS documentary. It has excerpts. Really fucked up shit, but yeah, pretty good for a crazy old janitor. The Glandolinians were practically a nation of serial killers.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/intherealms/video/the-vivian-girls-clip-6-of-6/
>>
i think a text that describes children being tortured in such gleeful detail might have some problems in being published.

"Yet despite the horrors the girls are forced to witness and endure (many of these episodes read like the last 30 days of the Marquis de Sade's 120 Days of Sodom), their courage never falters. To the girls, war is "fun," "an exciting adventure," and "a thrilling time," as in: "[the Vivian girls] have a thrilling time fleeing through a field of gutted bodies of children, with shells bursting all around."..
- http://nathanielrich.com/tmt/darger.html
>>
>>299482
The level of import these museums put on this work, along with the strong autobiographical ties, would suggest that it'll inevitably be published in some way, if not on the mass market.
It's practically an outsider art holy grail, and it's already made a cultural impact just by existing.
>>
>>299498
Assuming they don't fuck up the storage of the manuscripts before they transcribe the whole thing. It's not as though museums have a flawless record.

Reading about this pissed me off about copyright yet again - unpublished manuscript by a guy who died 44 years ago, and the copyright ends up in the hands of some organization he never had any ties to. It's ridiculous. Reminds me of when they found some previously unknown recordings of Charlie Parker from the 40s some years back, and in their initial announcement they had to warn that the recordings wouldn't become publicly available until they were able to sort out who owned the copyright on them.

Copyright law should not be making things less available to the public, it should be encouraging creators to publish rather than rights-holders to hold things back.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.