[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For whatever reason I always have trouble finding anime or novels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

For whatever reason I always have trouble finding anime or novels that fit into this particular niche. I'm looking for stories about a band of somewhat-misfit adventurers traveling the countryside and trying to make a life for themselves, adding/losing members along the way and growing closer through the whole process, preferably in a low-fantasy medieval type setting but that part in particular isn't a requirement.

Shows that I've already watched in trying to find something that matches this niche:

Seirei no Moribito (great, loved it, but was maybe a touch more serious than I was expecting)
Spice and Wolf S1 (absolutely nailed it in terms of cozy feel, the merchant aspect was fun, but was just good if I have to be honest)
The Twelve Kingdoms (another great one, but again was on a much larger scale/scope than I was originally looking for and definitely had a slow start)
Arslan Senki (once again, too large scale. I've seen enough fantasy about war between grand kingdoms and the conflict of royal families and so on and so forth)
Konosuba (complete opposite end of the spectrum, it had its fun moments but is obviously a parody/comedic take on the whole idea)

So, with all of that said, is there any decent show out there that actually scratches the particular itch I'm describing?
>>
It's pretty entry level, but samurai champloo hits like half those marks. It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's great regardless.
>>
>>290239
Love Live! School Idol Project
>>
Magi: Adventure of Sinbad.
Slayers
>>
>>290239
>traveling the countryside and trying to make a life for themselves, adding/losing members along the way and growing closer through the whole process, preferably in a low-fantasy medieval

have you seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet?

also
this >>290407
berserk, ninja scroll, claymore, fma b, record of lodoss war, trigun, kino's journey, texhnolyze, orphen, tears to tiara
>>
The Seven Deadly Sins
Brave Ten
>>
Sounds almost like any isekai desu.

Mushoku Tensei has the MC and his tsunbitch cousin that he takes as his bride later on and a member of a universally hated race trying to get back to his hme after a supernatural teleportation disaster.

Then after that party gets disbanded he lives a cushy life with his first wife (not the tsunbitch) until he has to rescue his mother with his alcoholic recovering father, another of his future wives, a gay dwarf, an apostle of a god, and a slutty elf
>>
Akatsuki no Yona.
>>
>>290529
Not the OP, but thanks m8. Just started to watch it.
>>
>>290529
kek, the squirrel says "fuck youuu".
>>
>>290771
>Second season never
Fucking Pierrot for building up the hype and then just end it before they can even complete the main team. The OVAs are not enough.
>>
>>290783
I can't even begin how much I want to form a Nuclear Naval Battle Group with You, Anon, and Sail there, And take over that studio, And..
>>
>>290815
>Seal Team Six, Meal Team Six and Feels Team Six? All of them?
>>
>>290529
Jokes aside, there are not that many shows where flashbacks make not only sense, but actually develop the plot.
>>
It's short but Weathering Continent.
>>
File: squirrel eating bird.jpg (37KB, 467x400px) Image search: [Google]
squirrel eating bird.jpg
37KB, 467x400px
>>290529
>Ep 19, the fucking squirrel ate a herring.
>The fucking squirrels eat tits, pic, yamerooo
>>
Grimgar
>>
>>290529
>Ep 24, the fucking squirrel ate a fucking bambi
>>
>>290855
Funny enough, Grimgar seems to be a great fit for what I was looking for so far (just finished ep. 4), even though I don't care much about the whole amnesia/real world vs. fantasy thing it tried to set up.

Thanks, anon. Shame I'll probably be done with it in a couple of days at most.
>>
Michiko e Hatchin
Ergo Proxy
Last Exile
Rave Master
Fullmetal Alchemist

From the top of my head
>>
>>291159
Go with Log Horizon after Grimgar.

It's much lighter, and though the basic setting is the same, the execution is much more enjoyable desu.
>>
>>291166
The whole "real world teens whisked away to live in an MMORPG world!" schtick is actually one of my least favorite things in this entire category of shows- it's tolerable in Grimgar so far because it seems to have very little bearing on these characters' decisions or behavior in the world thanks to the whole >amnesia bit, and Konosuba wasn't bad about it because it only really played it up for laughs, but if I could just get personal adventures across the medieval countryside without the whole tired MMO bit, that'd be nice.
>>
>>291610
I get that, but Log Horizon is pretty much universally lauded for a reason.

Also, there's always DanMachi. Spinoff is being adapted this season too.
>>
>>291165
>Last Exile
Funny enough, to me It was a dreamy experience. The steampunkish setting only added in for the effect for me.
>>
>>291731
Not the OP.

Log Horizon is nice (at ep 6 right now). However, I have never been into utterly overpowered MCs (no excitement), and LH is kinda continuously sending me signals that MCs put to solve plot thickenings might get away from those too easily. It would become utterly boring in the end.

Grimgar was a way much better in this sense. Grimgar made me genuinely worry about the fate of the characters.

I like the animation flow in the Log Horizon though. A lot. CGA support is almost invisible and doesn't bother me at all.
>>
>>291935
Grimgar is pretty much a show about scrubs learning how to do shit. The hard way.

Log Horizon is about experienced players building a society after the massive isekai happens, but there's also big segments dedicated to scrubs being helped by these experienced players. But yeah, the whole point of Shiroe is that he's what would happen if Sun Tzu or Machiaveli or whatever got isekai'd. But nowhere as overpowered as No Game No Life, which is also fantastic despite that.
>>
>>291997
>strategic, and at times, tactical?
Yes.

And heavily political. You'll see soon. In episode 9, particularly.
>>
>>292000
You were faster than me, I deleted my message due to fuckton of typos

>>291962
(I'm the anon you answered to)

You say
>about experienced players but unintentional event, got that bit
>Anime implies to a team of crazy strong "special forces" out-of-place
>due to the situation, "special forces" are coming up with their own missions in every other episode

It has disturbingly felt at times like Jietai Gate I ended up hating passionately. No offence to the fans.

But, no worries with the Log Horizon then? No cringe? ... But actually strategic, and at times, tactical?

>>292000
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll continue watching it
>>
>>290239
If you compare Spice & Wolf and 12 Kingdoms like that I personally feel insulted
>>
>>292264
Twelve Kingdoms was a fantastic series, had some of the most in-depth worldbuilding I've seen in a fantasy anime so far and told a grand and epic story while showing some real character progression (albeit somewhat stilted at times). I enjoyed it a lot.

It's also not exactly what I was looking for.

Spice and Wolf S1 was pretty nice, felt really cozy and did something a little different which made it enjoyable. It was a lot smaller in scope and had more of a just-traveling-the-countryside feel, which is closer to what I was hoping to find.

So the first was easily, hands down the better show. But I enjoyed both for very different reasons.
>>
>>292268
Spice and Wolf is trash aimed at teens with the mentality of a 15 year old girl.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.